DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Odd Problems (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/410830-odd-problems.html)

MoparFanatic21 01-21-2018 01:20 AM

Odd Problems

01 Ram 2500 4x4 360
1st Problem: I'm loosing coolant. It's not burning it and it's not leaking I have no clue where it is going.
2nd Problem: drivers door seal is bad but I can't find a replacement only universal seals with different sizes.
3rd Problem: This problem had me check the coolant (usually do). I had to go to a place where it got really cold (-25). While idling the heat is great but when the truck is moving it overcools and the heat turn lukewarm. So I checked the antifreeze and I had to add a gallon of water and Antifreeze. I know it doesn't leak as I looked at the motor and it was parked in snow and there were no puddles. It's so cool that after driving for 1 hour (after I added to the cooling system) the cap isn't even hot.
4th problem: it was windy and I was doing 65 and the truck acted like it was 100lbs and wandered so bad on the road I got pulled over because the trooper thought I was intoxicated :D I have all new front end components and am going to get it aligned here.
​Any help here guys?

Ramman18 01-21-2018 04:54 AM

1. Coolant is going in oil, getting burned, or leaking. I suspect the latter as it can easily leak high and burn off before it drips. Get a leak tester kit.
2. Seals are sold at LMC
3. Sounds normal for that cold of weather
4. All new components don't do anything if the box is worn out. Get a Redhead

MoparFanatic21 01-21-2018 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Ramman18 (Post 3375681)
1. Coolant is going in oil, getting burned, or leaking. I suspect the latter as it can easily leak high and burn off before it drips. Get a leak tester kit.
2. Seals are sold at LMC
3. Sounds normal for that cold of weather
4. All new components don't do anything if the box is worn out. Get a Redhead

1. Where do you get the leak tester kit?
2. Thanks I forget about that site all the time
3. Looks like I'll use the cardboard trick.
4. Have a Redhead (2 one) I also have hydroboost if that makes a difference

HeyYou 01-21-2018 09:16 AM

Most parts stores should have the kit.

Hydroboost won't affect steering slop, just steering effort. (and gives you more room in the engine compartment..... :) )

Ramman18 01-21-2018 05:56 PM

1. Yeah, you can rent a radiator leak tester at any parts stores.
2. I replaced my weatherstripping last year and I may have used rockauto actually. Can't remember. Both carry the real stuff.
3. Found a coolant leak last Nov. that was bothering me for a year and a half. It was the heater tube seal and it burned off before getting past the crank. Very hard to see. If you have bad heat it could be a blocked and leaking heater core. But that cold of weather, any vehicle needs cardboard in front. I use home-made winterfront due to my 180 stat below 50 degrees!
4. Check your alignment (strings and tape measures) and have someone rock the wheel while you closely inspect all parts underneath. I put on a Redhead and new T steering and there's NO play in my truck. Very precise. Also do my own alignments.

MoparFanatic21 01-22-2018 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3375697)
Most parts stores should have the kit.

Hydroboost won't affect steering slop, just steering effort. (and gives you more room in the engine compartment..... :) )

I'm buying one from Harbor freight hate renting told are tether are usually Beat up. I just figured I'd mention the hydro just in case

MoparFanatic21 01-22-2018 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ramman18 (Post 3375755)
1. Yeah, you can rent a radiator leak tester at any parts stores.
2. I replaced my weatherstripping last year and I may have used rockauto actually. Can't remember. Both carry the real stuff.
3. Found a coolant leak last Nov. that was bothering me for a year and a half. It was the heater tube seal and it burned off before getting past the crank. Very hard to see. If you have bad heat it could be a blocked and leaking heater core. But that cold of weather, any vehicle needs cardboard in front. I use home-made winterfront due to my 180 stat below 50 degrees!
4. Check your alignment (strings and tape measures) and have someone rock the wheel while you closely inspect all parts underneath. I put on a Redhead and new T steering and there's NO play in my truck. Very precise. Also do my own alignments.

1. Buying one at Harbor Freight
2. Rockauto was no luck I checked their first.
3. It isn't the heater core I know that 100% I may put dye in the coolant and check that way
4. Going to get it aligned at a shop. I did do the steering test and everything was tight even the steering shaft. I don't have sway bars but the wind pushed this truck like it was nothing, just amazed me.

Ramman18 01-22-2018 01:18 PM

Where'd the sway bar go?

Wind can definitely push me around but it doesn't make me lose control of my steering. How're the ball joints?

MoparFanatic21 01-22-2018 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ramman18 (Post 3375874)
Where'd the sway bar go?

Wind can definitely push me around but it doesn't make me lose control of my steering. How're the ball joints?

Took out the sway bar for more flex and ordered an off road sway bar. Ball joints are Grand new Carli ball joints