DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Snap On MT2500 (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/410833-snap-on-mt2500.html)

MoparFanatic21 01-21-2018 05:59 AM

Snap On MT2500

This scanner is it really worth it? I've been researching it and some say Snap On is the best, others say they are garbage. Is this a good scanner for our trucks? Does it do bi-directional? Can I do almost anything Chrysler can? I'm also buying a scanner that can program PCMs.

Gary-L 01-21-2018 08:53 AM

Check out this thread in the General Forum: The Scantools, OBD II Readers, and Programmers Thread

primem 01-21-2018 09:29 AM

the red brick is pretty old and outdated. It was ok in it day but that was 20 years ago. I doubt if snap on supports any new updates for this product. Check the memory cartridge and see if it covers the model year you need. To me, makes no sense to buy a scan tool that can't be updated.

My shop has a snap on scanner and it costs $1000 each time it need updating. There are better products out there with cheap updates. Autoenginuity.com has the best laptop based scan tool out there. You can get into a complete dodge kit for $350 and you can expand it for any make. Complete all make kits are $1200. This tool will do anything the factory scan tool can and is 10x better than an old brick.

AtomicDog 01-21-2018 10:53 AM

While the MT2500 is outdated for the newer cars, it is helpful to have around for the older non OBD2 vehicles (anything before 1996). If you can find one cheap enough, I think they are still worth having around if you are working with older vehicles. You will also need the odd connectors for the different vehicles that interface with the MT2500, in addition to the cartridge and key needed for the particular vehicle.

Snap On did drop support of the MT2500 in 2011.

MoparFanatic21 01-22-2018 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by primem (Post 3375701)
the red brick is pretty old and outdated. It was ok in it day but that was 20 years ago. I doubt if snap on supports any new updates for this product. Check the memory cartridge and see if it covers the model year you need. To me, makes no sense to buy a scan tool that can't be updated.

My shop has a snap on scanner and it costs $1000 each time it need updating. There are better products out there with cheap updates. Autoenginuity.com has the best laptop based scan tool out there. You can get into a complete dodge kit for $350 and you can expand it for any make. Complete all make kits are $1200. This tool will do anything the factory scan tool can and is 10x better than an old brick.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to check them out.

MoparFanatic21 01-22-2018 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by AtomicDog (Post 3375715)
While the MT2500 is outdated for the newer cars, it is helpful to have around for the older non OBD2 vehicles (anything before 1996). If you can find one cheap enough, I think they are still worth having around if you are working with older vehicles. You will also need the odd connectors for the different vehicles that interface with the MT2500, in addition to the cartridge and key needed for the particular vehicle.

Snap On did drop support of the MT2500 in 2011.

My old cars are from the 30s-60s so no where to plug into plus they are way simpler that you don't need a scanner. I was looking for a scanner for 96 and above. I won't buy it and I'll look around for others.

2bit 01-22-2018 12:39 PM

I'm looking at buying one of these. Would you give me a fair price what it's worth please? I have a mechanic friend that upgraded, and I'd like to buy his. Our newest vehicle is an 08 and he may have it updated that far, I'd have to ask. He'd be able to scan it for us with his new one if it didn't.

MoparFanatic21 01-22-2018 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by 2bit (Post 3375871)
I'm looking at buying one of these. Would you give me a fair price what it's worth please? I have a mechanic friend that upgraded, and I'd like to buy his. Our newest vehicle is an 08 and he may have it updated that far, I'd have to ask. He'd be able to scan it for us with his new one if it didn't.

I wouldn't let no more then $500 as what has complete kits for that

AtomicDog 01-22-2018 11:30 PM

Check your local Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. They pop up periodically on there and can typically be picked up reasonably if you are patient and persistently check. eBay also has them, too.

2bit 01-23-2018 11:14 AM

Thank you