DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   ram 5.9 stalling issue (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/410870-ram-5-9-stalling-issue.html)

navy5.9 01-21-2018 10:50 PM

ram 5.9 stalling issue

Hello all,

I have done lots of research here and found some very good ideas to troubleshoot my truck, just looking for a little more guidance to see if im on the right track.

Sorry for the drawn out explanation, im trying to be as specific as possible with my issue.
Truck is a 2wd 98 ram 1500 5.9magnum automatic with 114k (bought at 110k unverified mileage).

Truck isn’t popping any codes, only sometimes an evap leak code that comes and goes.
I can hear the fuel pump when i turn the key.
What’s happening has been occurring for the past 2-3 months and given the weather, my troubleshooting/working on the truck has been limited. Issue started off with slight stuttering while driving, idle, and braking. This led to a full stall issue, first time it stalled I was warming up the truck before work, about 10 min, put it in gear and stalled immediately, wouldn’t start back up despite cranking. Next day started up again fine in the morning for another 10 min, got onto the road and started noticing the stuttering so decided to double back only to hit a red light where it completely stalled on braking and wouldn’t start up again all the while cranking fine.Decided to start shotgunning cheaper sensors that have fixed some of the issues I read from other people.

First replaced the pre cat 02 sensor, the truck ran for few days to and from work (15ish miles a day), occasionally stuttered but not the the stalling point. Finally completely stalled one morning when I got to work about 5 days in.

Replaced the post cat 02 sensor, drove home but it was stuttering so bad I had to hold the accelerator at all times even braking.

The truck periodically had battery issues, read some forum that said this could be a culprit so I went ahead and threw in a new batt, cleaned, cut, recrimped and replaced terminals as well.

I had already purchased a TpSensor so I installed that just recently along with finishing the batt wiring. Started up again fine and ran for 15-20 minutes, still stuttering when put in gear.

Replaced Idle air control valve aswell, no change, stuttered untill it stalled when put in gear, wouldnt start back up.

Unfortunatley most of the parts i got were duralast (autozone) which i hear our trucks don't like.
I have a crank position sensor too, purchased from autozone and my next install, but I think i will be returning it to buy a mopar sensor. Im not getting oil pooling under the tb so I suppose my plenum gasket is alright.
I read recently someone with a 5.9 van here had some similar issues he fixed with a new PCM, could this be something to look into?
MAF sensor another thing that i've been debating replacing aswell.
I also dont know if this will help, but when i put it in gear from idle, I hear a loud sucking sound that usually leads to the stuttering.

Sorry if this is another repeat thread, I did alot of research and found alot of similar cases, I've been at my wits end with this issue. Thanks for any advice!

HeyYou 01-22-2018 08:09 AM

Go with the Mopar crank sensor, I suspect that will solve your issues. An easy test is, when it dies, and won't start, check and see if you have spark. My guess is, No.

Welcome to DF! :D

navy5.9 01-22-2018 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3375840)
Go with the Mopar crank sensor, I suspect that will solve your issues. An easy test is, when it dies, and won't start, check and see if you have spark. My guess is, No.

Welcome to DF! :D

I’ll check as soon as I can, for spark. Closest dodge dealership can order me a mopar crank sensor for $105, seem about right?Thanks for the welcome, I’ve been using this forum for a long time, just never made an account. Got a gen1 ram i’ve had to troubleshoot with this forum too.

HeyYou 01-22-2018 09:43 PM

Yep. Dodge is pretty proud of their sensors......... and price them accordingly. :D

navy5.9 01-23-2018 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3375948)
Yep. Dodge is pretty proud of their sensors......... and price them accordingly. :D

This look like the right mopar part num?56027871

HeyYou 01-23-2018 08:07 AM

Looks like. Just make sure it's a REAL mopar sensor.... I see a lot of other folks put the same number on their 'off brand' part.

94Beater 01-24-2018 11:24 PM

I'm not sure which ignition coil you are running, but I had similar issues when using something other than stock.
I went through MSD, Accel etc. Each time I had to go back to stock.
Also when this happens you push the schrader valve on the fuel rail and see if you have fuel pressure.
In this case it could be an intermittening fuel pump.
Hope this helps

navy5.9 06-07-2018 04:14 PM

Finally was able to work on the truck, got a mopar crankshaft sensor put in and now i’m getting an idle pulsating stall 700rpm low to about 1300 high , progresses to stall out completely. I don’t know a lot about vacuum lines, but when it pulsates low it makes a loud sucking sound, could that be a vacuum issue? I have a video of it ..
Truck’s been sitting for quite a while, any ideas what to look into next?

HeyYou 06-08-2018 07:06 AM

Unstable idle can be a vacuum leak, or even bad gas. If it's been sitting for a while, did you flush the fuel line, and put some fresh gas in it?

navy5.9 06-08-2018 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3395946)
Unstable idle can be a vacuum leak, or even bad gas. If it's been sitting for a while, did you flush the fuel line, and put some fresh gas in it?

I did get some fresh gas, it was making similar sounds the whole time i’ve been troubleshooting it.