2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 ex cab, 5.9, laramie- AC voltage to compressor

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 02:07 PM
marcpilot1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 ex cab, 5.9, laramie- AC voltage to compressor

I read as many threads pertaining to ac issues on the 2g ram. I couldnt find what I needed. I prob didnt search right, but I found only a couple threads for 2g ram ac stuff. That right there makes me think I didnt search right, only finding a couple things. I assume theres way more than that.

In the search I tried about 4 things. 1 was "no voltage at ac compressor", "AC not working", "no power at ac compressor", "ac not working", and couple other ones like that. All I got in results were about 2 threads. They didnt help my prob all the way. Some, but not enough for my sit.

The only thing I got going on with mine is that when I turn on the ac, nothing happens but same warm air. Problem is the compressor isnt clicking or coming on. I can turn clutch plate at compressor by hand fine. The 2 wires coming from truck side, before pigtail plug-in to compressor, neither is showing voltage. Like nothing, zero. The pressure switch at the line above right there where compressor plug is does show voltage. Like 3 or 4, I forgot. But shows.

I swapped horn relay w known good one(s).
There anything I should do next, like in an "order", versus random troubleshooting out of a sequence? I do have gauges. Do have all tools to do anything. Thx for any help, Summer's Comin!

Old 02-24-2018, 06:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Quite the optimist. Cold and windy here.

The a/c compressor gets power from the a/c relay. The switches are not in that circuit at all.

When you set the vent control to some flavor of cooling, it sends a voltage to the PCM, to let it know you actually WANT the a/c compressor to run. That circuit divides at splice 120, to send voltage to the pressure switches, those are wired in series, and if both switches are closed, the PCM will see a voltage that tells it to trip the A/C relay.

I think the first thing I would try, would be to jumper the low pressure switch, and see if the compressor didn't run. If not, try the high pressure switch. See what happens.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:12 AM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Quite the optimist. Cold and windy here.

The a/c compressor gets power from the a/c relay. The switches are not in that circuit at all.

When you set the vent control to some flavor of cooling, it sends a voltage to the PCM, to let it know you actually WANT the a/c compressor to run. That circuit divides at splice 120, to send voltage to the pressure switches, those are wired in series, and if both switches are closed, the PCM will see a voltage that tells it to trip the A/C relay.

I think the first thing I would try, would be to jumper the low pressure switch, and see if the compressor didn't run. If not, try the high pressure switch. See what happens.
1st. - Unplug the High Pressure switch and test for continuity - If there is no continuity replace the switch.
2nd, - Un plug the low pressure switch, hook up a set of gauges and verify that there is a minimum of 45 to 50 psi refrigerant pressure, test for continuity on the low pressure
switch. 45 psi and above should be continuity - 25 psi and below no continuity.
If below 45 psi jumper the connector, start the engine and see if it will force the compressor to run.

Last edited by Ramchu; 02-25-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:53 AM
marcpilot1
Professional

Hot! Gets hotter. Waitll August, I'll be considering movin up North!!(specially if wifey dont start cookin better for me!)(she said she's considerin goin if I didnt start takin her out to eat more!)

Goin off on rants, sorry.
Can I ohm out the 2 pressure switches? Or u want jumper the compressor 1st? Like, before anything.

Other question, if no freon, would that cause no voltage at compressor plug?

Last edited by marcpilot1; 02-25-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Ramchu
Professional

You can check continuity on the switches first
High pressure switch should have continuity at all times unless it is seeing high pressure exceeding it set limit.
Same on the low pressure switch unless it is seeing pressure below its set limit.

If low or no freon then the low pressure switch will trip and stop the current flow(voltage) to the compressor.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:35 AM
marcpilot1
Professional

Oh, ok. Checked cont on hi pr switch last night, there was nothing. But was just a quick check cuz I wanted to do at least something before I came in for the night. But I'll get more into it today. Thanks!

I wanted to jumper comprsr but then couldnt figure out the exact 2 locations to jumper it from. Assume at relay #30 and but the other end I wasnt sure. Just didnt wanna create more probs till I figured out the exact 2 locations to jumper it off to check comprsser.
On my other cars I used 87 and 30(I think those are the 2 #'s) at ac clutch relay, with paper clip horseshoe. But those are all Sebriung convertibles.

Last edited by marcpilot1; 02-26-2018 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 05:31 PM
Ramchu
Professional

Jumper at the switch connector plugs, one at a time, to determine which switch has dropped out.
If it still doesn't run then will need to look further.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:45 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

Ok. I just jumpered it off at the low side's switch. Bang! Compressor came right on. Sounds good, no bearing issue sounds, nothing, none of that. I like it! Bring on summer down here!!

Only thing is, where'd the initial Freon go? Damn.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:46 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

So, want me to slap 2lbs of Freon in her?

Old 02-26-2018, 09:43 PM
Ramchu
Professional

Originally Posted by marcpilot1
Ok. I just jumpered it off at the low side's switch. Bang! Compressor came right on. Sounds good, no bearing issue sounds, nothing, none of that. I like it! Bring on summer down here!!

Only thing is, where'd the initial Freon go? Damn.
Well apparently a leak has developed that needs to be fixed.
Just adding freon may get you by for a while, but keep in mind as the freon leaks out so does the compressor oil, and you run the risk of compressor failure and contamination of the rest of the AC system.
It's your call....... but I would advise to get it done properly.

Quick Reply: 98 ex cab, 5.9, laramie- AC voltage to compressor