2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Complete Newbie at a loss... 97 8.0L won’t start

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:45 PM
Abarnes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is that just a bad connection on the noid light? Or is the cam sensor failing?
according to the instructions the noid light would not have a constant power as the injectors do not have a constant spray, my understanding of the fuel system is limited. What I got from it though is that the injectors spray in time with the valves opening and closing on the block. This would give me the light flickering on and off in time with the engine cranking. Am I looking at things correctly or did I misunderstand something?

Old 03-12-2018, 08:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Pretty much correct. When the ignition is on, it will engage the ASD relay for about three seconds, and then shut it off, until it sees the engine turning. (crank sensor) ASD supplies power to injectors, (always powered when engine is running/cranking, PCM controls ground side of the circuit.) and coil(s). Among other things. So, while the engine is cranking, you should see 12 volts TO the injector, and the noid light should flash a steady pattern.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:46 PM
Abarnes

Pretty much correct. When the ignition is on, it will engage the ASD relay for about three seconds, and then shut it off, until it sees the engine turning. (crank sensor) ASD supplies power to injectors, (always powered when engine is running/cranking, PCM controls ground side of the circuit.) and coil(s). Among other things. So, while the engine is cranking, you should see 12 volts TO the injector, and the noid light should flash a steady pattern.
I GOT IT!!! I threw the book at it today, had the whole truck apart.. still nothing. My brother came over with his compression tester to see if he could figure it out. Compression was good. He went back over everything I did and decided to check the fuel again at the fuel pump. Realized that it was water. 1/4 tank of bleeding the system later the truck runs again. Syphoned the bottom of the tank until it ran straight gas, then unplugged as many injectors as I could get to to bleed the system at the rail. Some starting fluid, and some rough starts later it’s now good to go! I appreciate all of your input, I was really at a loss. Was definitely considering it having a PCM issue...

Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

How did it accumulate that much water????? Did someone fill it up for you? (my granddaughter did that for my lawnmower once...... that was fun.....)

Old 03-13-2018, 12:22 PM
Abarnes

How did it accumulate that much water????? Did someone fill it up for you? (my granddaughter did that for my lawnmower once...... that was fun.....)
only thing I can think of is the gas station had bad gas... we filled it Friday night and drove a ton but never left it idle where it would have had a chance to pick up the separated gas/water mixture... parked it and let it warm up Saturday before heading out. Fell on its face within a half mile.. finally it had a chance to pick up enough of the water cause we weren’t driving(tank sloshing to mix). Some dry gas, injector cleaner, and fresh high octane fuel and it’s bad to its usual finicky self! Lesson learned, just glad we figured it out. My next step was gonna be to replace the PCM. With all the sensors and everything receiving the correct signal, I was next to assume that the signals then were not being read and translated for it to start!! On to fixing/replacing everything else on her, she was a very unloved plow truck.

Old 03-13-2018, 12:26 PM
Abarnes

Thank you for throwing out suggestions and explaining some things in further depth. I am definitely a back yard mechanic with limited knowledge of the inner workings and tools used to diagnose issues. You were very helpful! I now have a couple new tools in the tool box and a trusty manual to look at if needed. By the time im done fixing her up I’ll be a pro!!

Old 03-13-2018, 06:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Yep, that is exactly how it works.

Quick Reply: Complete Newbie at a loss... 97 8.0L won’t start