2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

98 Dodge Ram limp mode

Old 03-10-2018, 10:06 PM
Second gen Travis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Dodge Ram limp mode

So I got alil problem with the old second gen. It’s got th be the 5.2 in it and I think it’s in limp mode. I don’t know For sure but today I was mudding and I hit the wrong hole and it droped in some water and was stuck in it for bout 3 hours. Didn’t sink it but it wasn’t above my 33 swampers but right below the grill. Long story short it’s stalled and I got pulled out dead weight. When I started it out of the water it started right up and ran fine. Went to gas station to get gas it stalled again. Went down the road and it’s stalled 2 more times. He tranny started not wanting to shift and acting up ( not worried bout transmision because it’s brand new and best part has warranty lol ) but right before I got home my oil gauge droped to 0 and it’s lost all power. Could floor it. It didn’t wanna go how it should. Got it in the yard. Shut it off popped the hood and checked it out. Oil was EVERYWHERE. I’m thinking busted line but not sure. Gonna look tommorow. Any ideas?

Old 03-11-2018, 04:12 AM
Shadow_Death
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd start checking my fluids for water. Check crank case for water, transmission for water, etc.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:10 AM
Second gen Travis

Originally Posted by Shadow_Death
I'd start checking my fluids for water. Check crank case for water, transmission for water, etc.
how would I don’t that? I’m gonna dragon the oil and replace the filter and see where the leak is. But how do I check transmision and crank case ?

Old 03-11-2018, 04:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,168 Likes on 2,922 Posts

Pull the dipstick. If it's looks like a milkshake, it is water contaminated. Water in the trans will destroy it right quick.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:54 PM
Second gen Travis

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Pull the dipstick. If it's looks like a milkshake, it is water contaminated. Water in the trans will destroy it right quick.
pulled the dipstick. Oil was good. Tranny fluid was pink. Not good. Drained it quick and didn’t oil to just in case and filter. gonna run it alittle. Then drain and do it again. But why could it be so sluggish ? Truck is acting as ignorant it lost all power. Won’t spin the tires and when it doesn’t it’s real slow. Not running right at all. But starts right up idles and sounds good. And also. Oil pressure is dropping to 0 then shooting back up repledlty

Old 03-12-2018, 12:06 AM
Shadow_Death
Professional

Originally Posted by Second gen Travis

pulled the dipstick. Oil was good. Tranny fluid was pink. Not good. Drained it quick and didn’t oil to just in case and filter. gonna run it alittle. Then drain and do it again. But why could it be so sluggish ? Truck is acting as ignorant it lost all power. Won’t spin the tires and when it doesn’t it’s real slow. Not running right at all. But starts right up idles and sounds good. And also. Oil pressure is dropping to 0 then shooting back up repledlty
If you are going by the oil pressure gauge in the dash you can rule that out. They are known to have issues. You will need a mechanical oil pressure gauge to test your real oil pressure. If you get those same results with the mechanical gauge when you will have bigger issues.

Water in your transmission will cause all kinds of issues just as it would with a motor. It dilutes the transmission fluid causing it to thin out. This will cause higher wear on parts, possibly make the pump work harder, and if your transmission binds up it can cause your engine to stall.

This is assuming that there isn't another issue like a bad crank sensor as well. We will get it solved though.

Last edited by Shadow_Death; 03-12-2018 at 12:19 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Second gen Travis

Originally Posted by Shadow_Death
If you are going by the oil pressure gauge in the dash you can rule that out. They are known to have issues. You will need a mechanical oil pressure gauge to test your real oil pressure. If you get those same results with the mechanical gauge when you will have bigger issues.

Water in your transmission will cause all kinds of issues just as it would with a motor. It dilutes the transmission fluid causing it to thin out. This will cause higher wear on parts, possibly make the pump work harder, and if your transmission binds up it can cause your engine to stall.

This is assuming that there isn't another issue like a bad crank sensor as well. We will get it solved though.

i replaced the transmission fluid right away. But my truck did stall a couple times on me. Transmision is under warenty and only 3 weeks old so that can be fixed if something is wrong with it. It isn’t shift right anymore. It’s going higher in rpms and I gotta let of the gas a lot for it to shift. But motor just seems so loss of power. Can low or no oil pressure cause the motor to loose power. And it’s starting to overheat and it has brand new complete cooling system. Think my motors going ?

Old 03-12-2018, 09:32 AM
Ramchu
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i replaced the transmission fluid right away. But my truck did stall a couple times on me. Transmision is under warenty and only 3 weeks old so that can be fixed if something is wrong with it. It isn’t shift right anymore. It’s going higher in rpms and I gotta let of the gas a lot for it to shift. But motor just seems so loss of power. Can low or no oil pressure cause the motor to loose power. And it’s starting to overheat and it has brand new complete cooling system. Think my motors going ?
If the transmission had water in it, or, as I suspect the wiring connectors have water in them, I doubt that the transmission shop will honor the warranty.
A warranty usually only covers any mistakes that the builder may have made or any defective parts that may have gotten installed.

You need to clean and dry out all of the wiring connector plugs that could have gotten submerged and inspect the wiring harness for any possible electrical short's.
Also wash out the radiator and oil coolers, they could be plugged with mud restricting the air flow thru them, if it truly is overheating.

What you have described sounds more electrical to me, than mechanical......... just my 2 cents

Old 03-12-2018, 12:52 PM
Second gen Travis

[QUOTE=Ramchu;3382988]If the transmission had water in it, or, as I suspect the wiring connectors have water in them, I doubt that the transmission shop will honor the warranty.
A warranty usually only covers any mistakes that the builder may have made or any defective parts that may have gotten installed.

You need to clean and dry out all of the wiring connector plugs that could have gotten submerged and inspect the wiring harness for any possible electrical short's.
Also wash out the radiator and oil coolers, they could be plugged with mud restricting the air flow thru them, if it truly is overheating.

Thanks for the response. I’m thinking mass air flow sensor. Or the plenum or something clogged. Idk how it would just loose power like that all of a sudden. But it has me stumped

Old 03-12-2018, 01:20 PM
Shadow_Death
Professional

[QUOTE=Second gen Travis;3383013]
Originally Posted by Ramchu
If the transmission had water in it, or, as I suspect the wiring connectors have water in them, I doubt that the transmission shop will honor the warranty.

Thanks for the response. I’m thinking mass air flow sensor. Or the plenum or something clogged. Idk how it would just loose power like that all of a sudden. But it has me stumped
These trucks don't have mass air flow sensors, but they do have MAP (Manafold pressure sensors). How exactly is it dying? Is it losing power and slowly shutting off or does it just die mid drive like someone shut the ignition switch off?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 Dodge Ram limp mode