2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what is meant by throwing codes? And where would you find this out?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 12:14 PM
stormchaser27
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is meant by throwing codes? And where would you find this out?

Just from reading others questions especially about the transmission. I had that come on on a recent trip from N.J. to N.C. but i think mine was from having too much fluid in it. I've had a terrible leak in my transmission so i continually add transmission fluid untill i can get to a place where i can clean it good and possibly make the needed repairs. I will need to study up a lot though.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:12 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

"Throwing codes" means the check engine light is on. Sensors which monitor the engine/emissions systems will "throw a code" if they detect an abnormality. You can then "read" the code with an OBD scanner/reader to find out what the sensor is upset about. Any auto parts store will read codes if your check engine light is on. You can then google the code to find out what is causing it. Better yet, purchase an OBD scanner/reader for yourself. They can be had for under $20 these days and will be the best tool you can have in your toolbox for troubleshooting purposes.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:19 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

Depending on the year of your truck(no info in your profile) you may get the codes from what is known as the "key dance"
http://dodgeram.info/Engine-Gas/OBDI/pcm_fault_code.htm

Old 04-13-2018, 11:34 AM
V65Ozzie
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
"Throwing codes" means the check engine light is on. Sensors which monitor the engine/emissions systems will "throw a code" if they detect an abnormality. You can then "read" the code with an OBD scanner/reader to find out what the sensor is upset about. Any auto parts store will read codes if your check engine light is on. You can then google the code to find out what is causing it. Better yet, purchase an OBD scanner/reader for yourself. They can be had for under $20 these days and will be the best tool you can have in your toolbox for troubleshooting purposes.
+1. Mine is in the truck all the time. Mainly to help other people out. Broke it out last night to diagnose a Jeep code. After talking with the owner I discovered that had recently broken a front driveshaft, a quick peek showed me that the shaft took out an EVAP line when it broke. 10 minute fix.
I used to have a second one, in my jeep. I had it at work one day, left it on the bench when I went home, mysteriously it grew legs.......

Old 04-13-2018, 08:44 PM
stormchaser27

Thanks a whole bunch, that's some good information to have. I will have to get one. I'm sure I'll be needing it and like ya say it will be something for the toolbox that 'll be very useful. I'm 60 yrs old and have been driving Ford trucks all my life. I saw this 1998 RAM 150, red in color for 3,000 bucks for sale at someone's house and it kinda reminds me of the one used in Twister........haha. It needs some work but still runs good and I like it........so far? I'll just have to be a better mechanic, that's funny too! "SO FAR".........I'll be back and thanx again.

Old 04-14-2018, 08:48 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

If you have a smart phone you can get bluetooth scanner for the obd2 port. You can get one that just reads codes to reading detailed live data.

Old 04-15-2018, 11:22 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The beating that truck in Twister took is what made me want a Ram too.
99 is when they started the key dance - turn the ignition to on-off-on-off-on and the odometer shows the codes. Here's a video that shows how to do it in a 98 diesel, I don't know if it'll work in a gas truck though

Old 04-16-2018, 11:16 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

99 is when they started the key dance
Chrysler had the key dance back in the 80's. Ignition on X3 is the way to get them and only goes up to 1997. The video is showing the cluster check but not sure if it will show engine codes.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:35 PM
stormchaser27

Originally Posted by Moparite
Chrysler had the key dance back in the 80's. Ignition on X3 is the way to get them and only goes up to 1997. The video is showing the cluster check but not sure if it will show engine codes.
Ok........thank you. Its worth a try.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 PM
stormchaser27

Ok, thank you!

Quick Reply: what is meant by throwing codes? And where would you find this out?