2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

used vs new tranny ? 01 360

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 11:06 AM
RamNurA$$'01
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used vs new tranny ? 01 360

was wondering what you guys would recommend for my 01 360 with about 160k on it. a new transmission would obviously be more but with a hook up I can get it installed pretty cheaply.

should I gamble with a used tranny or just go with a built one ? the 4x4 and transfer case on my truck is good. would a 318 tranny work too or does it have to come from a 360 ?

theres a guy who's parting out a truck who only wants 400$ for his but he doesn't how many miles are on it but he says its rebuilt. he' said theres a lot of new parts and a new clean valve body on it too. kinda weary but I'm pretty desperate to get my truck running. whats the best route ? don't plan to beat the hell out of it off road just need something that will last a while. I don't find myself using the truck for truck stuff very often lol but I still want to keep it.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:12 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Unless he has documented proof, you are taking a chance. If it were me, I'd go the rebuild route. Then you know, plus you will get a warranty.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:18 AM
RamNurA$$'01
Amateur

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Unless he has documented proof, you are taking a chance. If it were me, I'd go the rebuild route. Then you know, plus you will get a warranty.

when I dropped the pan a second time there where a lot of metal flakes from when I tried changing the solenoid and filter. I only drove it around the block a few times plus can't get a seal on the pan. 3 of the threads are stripped. I don't think its worth it to rebuild what I have. its like pulling teeth just to get it looked at too so I tried what I could. can't even tell if the problem was the gasket because who ever had the truck before me put the gasket in the wrong spot and it was in limp mode before I ****ed with it. so I think at first the solenoid might've just wore out from sticking. now the gears are ate up for sure.

finally found a mobile guy who came and tried to seal it but he felt so bad for me that he took 20$ off. lol.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Get a rebuilt trans, and send back yours as a core. Several places do that particular trick. Either that, or pick up a core at the local yard for cheap, rebuild it, and then install it. If you are within spittin' distance, I have a core out in the barn I'll let go cheap.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:57 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I too would get it rebuilt.

As for the stripped pan bolts, you can just use a heli coil in those. You'll be fine.

Old 05-16-2018, 09:27 AM
jlake4130
Professional

Get a reman/rebuilt trans from a place with good reviews or that is recommended from friends/family. Just randomly picking a shop is sketchy, with all the bad shops out there stealing peoples hard earned cash!

Quick Reply: used vs new tranny ? 01 360