2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

complete plastic interior replacement? possible or not worth the effort?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 07:33 AM
jestinu
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Given the right environment and age, all dashes will crack apart. It wasn't a bad batch unless you consider 94-02 a batch. You can get replacement dashes and bezels from LMC which are near OEM and have supposed better material. The insides, glove box, trays, cupholders, etc. are junkyard or bust. I did my dash for 400 five years ago and it looks great. Worth it. Oh, and your truck has either a 5.2 or 5.9 fwiw.
the main reason i believe there was a bad batch of plastic is the top console that never sees the sun is brittle and breaking just as much as the dash that spent it's whole life in the sun.
not sure what LMC is if anyone could link to it that would be greatly appreciated.
yes i was mistaken on the 5.7, this is what replaced the 5.9 on newer models. (not sure why i need to post engine size on an interior question anyway but there you have it) .

Old 05-19-2018, 10:48 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I don't think it's a sun issue but more of a heat issue. My 96 has no cracks what so ever and have owned it most if it's life. I keep it out of direct sun light when ever possible and crack the windows when it's hot out. Not sure if this is the answer to keep it from cracking but it's worked for me. You can get a dash from LMC or get one that is guaranteed not to crack here

Quick Reply: complete plastic interior replacement? possible or not worth the effort?