DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   complete plastic interior replacement? possible or not worth the effort? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/414641-complete-plastic-interior-replacement-possible-or-not-worth-the-effort.html)

jestinu 05-17-2018 06:55 PM

complete plastic interior replacement? possible or not worth the effort?

2nd Gen RAM (99) quad cab 4x4 (5.7L i think).
i was one of the lucky people to get a truck from one of the bad plastic batches and want to fix it up. just not sure if it will be worth it.

Ramman18 05-17-2018 07:50 PM

Given the right environment and age, all dashes will crack apart. It wasn't a bad batch unless you consider 94-02 a batch. You can get replacement dashes and bezels from LMC which are near OEM and have supposed better material. The insides, glove box, trays, cupholders, etc. are junkyard or bust. I did my dash for 400 five years ago and it looks great. Worth it. Oh, and your truck has either a 5.2 or 5.9 fwiw.

true blue 05-17-2018 09:48 PM

If you decide to replace the dash top, do yourself a great big favor n pull the entire dash as an ass'y out of the pickup. It's amazingly easy n takes about 30 minutes longer to do n the replacement dash goes in LOTS easier n faster with the HVAC plenum outta the way.

Ramman18 05-18-2018 12:49 AM

The dash top is super easy by just tilting it forward. Why on earth would you remove it completely? Pulling the whole dash takes two people and lots of careful maneuvering.

Just remove the five bolts on the top, loosen the two on the sides, and tilt. Remove air bag, glove compartment, and the dash is yours.

true blue 05-18-2018 07:29 AM

So do it while it's in the vehicle...what the hell do I care?!? It's my recommendation to make the job a little easier based on my experience. I thought that's what this chat room's all about. I tried it with the dash still in the pickup n after hours of contortion, frustration with no progress, I said...ta hell with it!!! 30 minutes later, she was free. Needin' other people, I know it's a bummer, but that's life.

Ramman18 05-18-2018 10:52 AM

Geez, don't get your panties in a wad. You apparently do care since you got upset. You could've said that it was just easier for YOU to completely remove it, but that it can be done in the cab just fine. It's like saying, "do yourself a favor and remove the engine to replace the cap and rotor because reaching back there is just too hard."

jkeaton 05-18-2018 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by true blue (Post 3393138)
So do it while it's in the vehicle...what the hell do I care?!? It's my recommendation to make the job a little easier based on my experience. I thought that's what this chat room's all about. I tried it with the dash still in the pickup n after hours of contortion, frustration with no progress, I said...ta hell with it!!! 30 minutes later, she was free. Needin' other people, I know it's a bummer, but that's life.

Easy there.....don't blow a gasket. :icon_laugh:

true blue 05-18-2018 03:57 PM

Girls, girls...take a midol. If you wanna corner the market on who can be pissier, then, hey...you win.

jkeaton 05-18-2018 06:47 PM

Lmao.

HeyYou 05-18-2018 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by true blue (Post 3393195)
Girls, girls...take a midol. If you wanna corner the market on who can be pissier, then, hey...you win.

I do? YEEEEEAAAAHHHH! I always wanted to win something. :D