2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500 weird issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 03:49 PM
this_is_sparta
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 weird issue

About a week ago my truck stopped charging on the way home.

I noticed it was charging a little low so I revved the engine a little bit and and the charging meter went all the way down to zero and completely stopped charging.

I barely made it home when I pulled into the driveway it died and would not start back the battery was pretty much completely dead.

So I switched out the alternator for a new one and it was running fine for a week then last night it started acting up again.

The charging meter spiked up into the red for a few seconds so I turned around and went home when I pulled into the driveway it died but the battery still had plenty of power and it showed to be charging normally on the way home after the initial spike.

So after it died some stuff inside the truck would turn on when I tried like the radio and interior lights but the instrument cluster would not come on the headlight would not turn on and the truck would not even try to start just did nothing when I turned the key.

I went in the house for about 20 minutes and when I went back outside the truck started right up the headlights and everything else was working normally.

Today I cleaned the batter connections and checked the grounds and they all looked fine.

Anybody have any ideas on what might be causing these issues?

It was raining last night but IDK if that has anything to do with it.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:59 PM
V65Ozzie
Professional

Start checking grounds.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:32 PM
this_is_sparta

I just rechecked the ground wires the connections are a little dusty but they're all tight and the wires look good.

It's running fine right now but I'm sure the issue will come back I'm wondering if the PCM could be going bad.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:38 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Entirely possible. Voltage regulator is in the PCM.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 weird issue