2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Differential question..spider gears and gear ratio...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 09:20 PM
Itchybruno74
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Shims or spacers whatever you call them. And yes for the pinion grea and for the carrier side to side. That is what always scared me until one day the rear went bad and I wasnt spending $1300.
I appreciate the input but Im not sure you are working on the same diff. The 9.25s have side cup adjusters for the side to side carriers and the pinion gear was not removed so I didnt have to mess with that. Have you done a differential repair before4 our just taken it into the shop? Im confused as to how youre giving me advice on what to look or listen for if youve not done any work on a diff before? Maybe im misunderstanding your messages.
As for spending 1300 bucks, that is a lot of money to throw at someone. Diffs are no where near as bad as everyone had made them out to be. This has just been another case of me psyching myself out because i listened to the wrong doom cryer crew and not the people that have successfully done the work.
You only need to adjust for pinion gears spacers if you are putting in new crush sleeves and pinion bearings.As far as I have understood anyways. backlash is set by adjusting the bearing cup adjusters on either side of the carrier bearing races and ensuring you have .005 -.008 inches of backlash on the drive side of the diff ring gear. Then if youve managed to achieve that and have your side so side adjusters torqued to 75 foot pounds and your backlash has not changed youve apparently done things right.
Just waiting on the wife now so I can bleed the brakes and drop this thing off the blocks and take it for a test run.....

Old 06-08-2018, 10:45 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Itchybruno74
I appreciate the input but Im not sure you are working on the same diff. The 9.25s have side cup adjusters for the side to side carriers and the pinion gear was not removed so I didnt have to mess with that. Have you done a differential repair before4 our just taken it into the shop? Im confused as to how youre giving me advice on what to look or listen for if youve not done any work on a diff before? Maybe im misunderstanding your messages.
As for spending 1300 bucks, that is a lot of money to throw at someone. Diffs are no where near as bad as everyone had made them out to be. This has just been another case of me psyching myself out because i listened to the wrong doom cryer crew and not the people that have successfully done the work.
You only need to adjust for pinion gears spacers if you are putting in new crush sleeves and pinion bearings.As far as I have understood anyways. backlash is set by adjusting the bearing cup adjusters on either side of the carrier bearing races and ensuring you have .005 -.008 inches of backlash on the drive side of the diff ring gear. Then if youve managed to achieve that and have your side so side adjusters torqued to 75 foot pounds and your backlash has not changed youve apparently done things right.
Just waiting on the wife now so I can bleed the brakes and drop this thing off the blocks and take it for a test run.....
Yes I've rebuilt both axles the Chrysler 9.25 which uses the basically bug nuts that you turn with a too instead of shims and the DANA 44 with shims. I was just generally saying the shims is what made me scared until I did it. You are correct on the procedure, at least that is how I did it. I was never good with communication over the internet

Old 06-09-2018, 09:54 AM
Itchybruno74
Rookie

Yes I've rebuilt both axles the Chrysler 9.25 which uses the basically bug nuts that you turn with a too instead of shims and the DANA 44 with shims. I was just generally saying the shims is what made me scared until I did it. You are correct on the procedure, at least that is how I did it. I was never good with communication over the internet
hahaha .all good .The internet has a way of co fusing the crap out of everything out on it.
cheers. Test run gonna be today after work if work actually ends on time today.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:31 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

hahaha .all good .The internet has a way of co fusing the crap out of everything out on it.
cheers. Test run gonna be today after work if work actually ends on time today.
Hopefully everything works out for you! Just remember any noise is bad.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:46 AM
Itchybruno74
Rookie

Hopefully everything works out for you! Just remember any noise is bad.
Soooooo...any noise is bad. Took it for a spin around the property. Nothing crazy, just some putting around some figure eights and a little forwards backwards. Nothing over 30 km/h heard what sounded like a metallic clinking. No pattern to it and very very sporadic. Hardly happened but when it did it sounded crappy.
Back on blocks, diff cover off and nothing has changed. No metal bits, retainer clips in place still, Backlash still 0.007 / 0.008. Not brake noise.
Flushed the diff and threw the cover back on. Filled it up, this time adding a lucas diff additive, on top of the friction modifier and Lucas 80 90 diff fluid to full. Ran it around again and same same. Not rotational, no pattern to it. Hear it for a second or three and then its gone. Doesnt happen when i take my foot off gas and coast, doesn't always happen in just forward or just reverse. Not speed related either. Im F*****g lost here.
No damage at all in the diff.
Any opinions or advice?

Old 06-19-2018, 02:44 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Soooooo...any noise is bad. Took it for a spin around the property. Nothing crazy, just some putting around some figure eights and a little forwards backwards. Nothing over 30 km/h heard what sounded like a metallic clinking. No pattern to it and very very sporadic. Hardly happened but when it did it sounded crappy.
Back on blocks, diff cover off and nothing has changed. No metal bits, retainer clips in place still, Backlash still 0.007 / 0.008. Not brake noise.
Flushed the diff and threw the cover back on. Filled it up, this time adding a lucas diff additive, on top of the friction modifier and Lucas 80 90 diff fluid to full. Ran it around again and same same. Not rotational, no pattern to it. Hear it for a second or three and then its gone. Doesnt happen when i take my foot off gas and coast, doesn't always happen in just forward or just reverse. Not speed related either. Im F*****g lost here.
No damage at all in the diff.
Any opinions or advice?
Did it do it when turning it going straight? Can you know for sure the noise is in the rear diff?

Old 06-19-2018, 09:57 AM
Itchybruno74
Rookie

Did it do it when turning it going straight? Can you know for sure the noise is in the rear diff?
I'd have to say it was when going straight. Can't say 100 it is the diff but there was no noise before I did the diff. Clutch packs retainer clips were toast and the Belleville spring in each clutch pack were cracked. I'm going to take a piece of old hose today and tape it so the end is aimed at various different spots along the axle and run the other end into the cab and listen to see if I can pinpoint the source of the noise a little better. It's almost like a metallic clink more than a binding or grinding. And everything was intact when I opened it back up after the first test run. This is very frustrating.
thanks for your responses man.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:17 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

I'd have to say it was when going straight. Can't say 100 it is the diff but there was no noise before I did the diff. Clutch packs retainer clips were toast and the Belleville spring in each clutch pack were cracked. I'm going to take a piece of old hose today and tape it so the end is aimed at various different spots along the axle and run the other end into the cab and listen to see if I can pinpoint the source of the noise a little better. It's almost like a metallic clink more than a binding or grinding. And everything was intact when I opened it back up after the first test run. This is very frustrating.
thanks for your responses man.
I was always told any noise = bad. Now one shop when I first did my first rebuild about 1 year ago said there is a break in period and you may hear some sounds. I don't know for that to be true. Personally I have a sound I can't pinpoint either. Best way to tell if it's the diff is really ways. Jack both rear wheels up and spin by hand or the more dangerous way use the engine to spin the wheels.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:43 AM
Itchybruno74
Rookie

I was always told any noise = bad. Now one shop when I first did my first rebuild about 1 year ago said there is a break in period and you may hear some sounds. I don't know for that to be true. Personally I have a sound I can't pinpoint either. Best way to tell if it's the diff is really ways. Jack both rear wheels up and spin by hand or the more dangerous way use the engine to spin the wheels.
Already jacked it on stands and tested it. Hand and engine. Can't spin it fast enough by hand to make the sound. Its definitely the rear end making the noise. Still very hard to tell if it's directly coming from the diff.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:39 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Already jacked it on stands and tested it. Hand and engine. Can't spin it fast enough by hand to make the sound. Its definitely the rear end making the noise. Still very hard to tell if it's directly coming from the diff.
That's odd. But I have a sound coming from my front axle (no rebuild) and can't find it so we are both in the same boat

Quick Reply: Differential question..spider gears and gear ratio...