DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Overheating (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/415759-overheating.html)

HeyYou 08-03-2018 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3404146)
I would get the severe duty clutch fan and get an aluminum radiator for it (CF-1429? I think)

I concur. Sounds like the fan clutch is getting weak. Possible the radiator is gunked up as well. (internally.....) Flushing won't necessarily clean it out. Given its age, replacement is the best plan.

MoparFanatic21 08-03-2018 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3404150)
I concur. Sounds like the fan clutch is getting weak. Possible the radiator is gunked up as well. (internally.....) Flushing won't necessarily clean it out. Given its age, replacement is the best plan.

I think that is the first time we agreed

Jaw91097 08-04-2018 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3404170)
I think that is the first time we agreed

Haha, thanks to both of ya, I'll get a new radiator in on payday and let you know how it goes. Fan Clutch will be next, and I've got a spare water pump so I'll use that to assemble the new one on before I replace it.

Also, I noticed today going up to work that my oil pressure would read about 55-60 while under load and right at 40 when idling. The gauge doesn't come on until after I start the truck too. Before my battery had a hole in it the oil pressure was fine, then I got a battery and it started reading high. Would you think the sensor is just whacked or I should try to do an oil change? I've got no dipstick so I gotta wing it when I fill it up. I used 4.6 quarts with a new oil filter when I put the motor in.

racefan41 08-04-2018 12:35 PM

On the fan clutch you can see if its any good by letting the truck get to the point where the gauge is showing your getting too hot, shut the truck off, and give the fan blade a flip with your finger. If it moves any more than a couple/few inches, it bad.

Shadow_Death 08-04-2018 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jaw91097 (Post 3404195)
Haha, thanks to both of ya, I'll get a new radiator in on payday and let you know how it goes. Fan Clutch will be next, and I've got a spare water pump so I'll use that to assemble the new one on before I replace it.

Also, I noticed today going up to work that my oil pressure would read about 55-60 while under load and right at 40 when idling. The gauge doesn't come on until after I start the truck too. Before my battery had a hole in it the oil pressure was fine, then I got a battery and it started reading high. Would you think the sensor is just whacked or I should try to do an oil change? I've got no dipstick so I gotta wing it when I fill it up. I used 4.6 quarts with a new oil filter when I put the motor in.

The Oil pressure gauges in these things are less accurate than throwing darts.. They read all over the place.

MoparFanatic21 08-04-2018 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jaw91097 (Post 3404195)

You should take at least 5 qts I use about 6 when doing the filter. I know my Hemi is like yours and is fine.

Jaw91097 08-10-2018 01:08 PM

So...I had figured out that an OEM part, which I had taken out, actually helps...who woulda thought lol. I put the fan shroud back in last night and drove it all morning and let it idle for a good half hour and it never got past 170 ish. Has a 160 stat in it too. Hope whoever has similar problems figures this out sooner than I did

MoparFanatic21 08-10-2018 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jaw91097 (Post 3404999)
So...I had figured out that an OEM part, which I had taken out, actually helps...who woulda thought lol. I put the fan shroud back in last night and drove it all morning and let it idle for a good half hour and it never got past 170 ish. Has a 160 stat in it too. Hope whoever has similar problems figures this out sooner than I did

Which part was it?
​​​​​​

Jaw91097 08-10-2018 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3405014)
Which part was it?
​​​​​​

Fan Shroud, the big black plastic piece between the radiator and fan clutch. I guess it helps direct airflow through the radiator. I also straightened a ton of fins so that could have helped too.

HeyYou 08-10-2018 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3405014)
Which part was it?
​​​​​​

Fan Shroud.......