New EQ Heads - Small Amount of Oil on top of Piston (Plenum Issue Fixed) - DodgeForum.com

Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

New EQ Heads - Small Amount of Oil on top of Piston (Plenum Issue Fixed)

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New EQ Heads - Small Amount of Oil on top of Piston (Plenum Issue Fixed)

Old 07-20-2018, 12:11 AM
fcastro
Professional
Question New EQ Heads - Small Amount of Oil on top of Piston (Plenum Issue Fixed)

Hi everyone, So I finally finished up putting my 5.9 magnum back together. I discovered I had a bit of coolant leaking from either a bad head gasket or a cracked head, couldn't tell when I took apart the heads. So now I have installed my EQ heads and everything else was reinstalled. I just recently did the plenum plate fix, being paranoid I took off the bolts and redid the full tightening sequence and used blue locktite. Got the truck and ran it for about 5 miles and the following day just for fun I decided to pull a few of the plugs and check on my nicely cleaned cylinders with my boroscope camera. I see a very small amount of oil on the piston top, check 2 more and also see a bit of oil on the side.

I am completely baffled and I am assuming this is not normal. I shouldn't have oil showing up on the top of the pistons as far as I am aware. Anyone have any ideas what the hell is going on?

There are the 8 2 and 7 cylinders. Everything was nice and clean when I installed the heads, Only thing I did was spray like 3 secs of fogging oil in the cylinders once I put the heads on to avoid any flash rust and lube the walls. I can't imagine that is the oil I am seeing.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:53 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Hhhmmm..... you are right, it shouldn't be pooling like that. How is your PCV system? Got a Mopar brand PCV valve in there? The aftermarket fellers aren't always the correct flow rate.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Ramman18
Record Breaker

Nice looking heads! Is that a power steering cooler bolted to the timing cover?

Old 07-20-2018, 01:54 PM
fcastro
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou View Post
Hhhmmm..... you are right, it shouldn't be pooling like that. How is your PCV system? Got a Mopar brand PCV valve in there? The aftermarket fellers aren't always the correct flow rate.
Yeah its OEM mopar. I replaced a few months back before I put in the plenum fix. I just looked down my intake and I did see a small oil film on the plate. I took a rag and wiped to make sure it was oil, and yes it was oil, very small coat but its there. I made a few short trips yesterday about 20 minutes each maybe 14 miles total. Today checked a few other plugs and also seeing oil on those pistons.

@ramman18 yeah that is the stock power steering cooler from an 01 durango 5.9 with tow package. I repainted it, it attached to the main block with 2 bolts.

Last edited by fcastro; 07-20-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:45 PM
2bit
All Star

Hard to tell but the cylinder looks worn/ scuffed. I don't see any cross hatching left. I don't know the quality of the image though. Maybe after having it apart it will reseat after driving it awhile? I guess I'd check the compression.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:11 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2bit View Post
Hard to tell but the cylinder looks worn/ scuffed. I don't see any cross hatching left. I don't know the quality of the image though. Maybe after having it apart it will reseat after driving it awhile? I guess I'd check the compression.
I think this is a good idea.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:17 PM
fcastro
Professional

All the cylinders still had their cross hatching only thing is I did see what looked like a spot on a few which was a circle toward the top of the cylinder that had a worn look. I had a ton of carbon build up on the pistons had to use a scotch green scuff pad and a razor blade and b12 and mopar spray to clean it all off.

Might have to a do a compression test. But seeing that bit of oil via the top makes me thing possible the oil is coming from the pvc system.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:19 PM
2bit
All Star

I'd drive it a 1000 miles and then take a look. Check the PCV system though. That will give the valves, guides, seals, and piston rings time to break in and reseal.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:21 PM
fcastro
Professional

Will do and I'll report back. I am also thinking about an oil catch can, if the oil is indeed coming from the PVC system.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:24 PM
2bit
All Star

Some of that grit and dirt had to get in the rings, it'll probably be fine after you drive it awhile.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New EQ Heads - Small Amount of Oil on top of Piston (Plenum Issue Fixed)

Featured Sponsors

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: