DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Parking Brake Light & ABS Light On (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/416425-parking-brake-light-and-abs-light-on.html)

tcrone 07-21-2018 01:33 PM

Parking Brake Light & ABS Light On

Hello everyone,

I have a '99 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. The ABS and Parking brake dash lights came on about 2 months ago. I was driving down the road after those dash lights came on and the power steering went out and the engine stalled while I was on the highway. Got it back home and replaced the rear ABS sensor. Then, the dash lights went off and I figured the problem was solved.

The truck ran well with no dash lights for about two weeks, but today I started the truck and the ABS and Parking brake dash lights are back on. Any ideas of what to check/replace next?

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

MoparFanatic21 07-21-2018 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by tcrone (Post 3402108)
Hello everyone,

I have a '99 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport. The ABS and Parking brake dash lights came on about 2 months ago. I was driving down the road after those dash lights came on and the power steering went out and the engine stalled while I was on the highway. Got it back home and replaced the rear ABS sensor. Then, the dash lights went off and I figured the problem was solved.

The truck ran well with no dash lights for about two weeks, but today I started the truck and the ABS and Parking brake dash lights are back on. Any ideas of what to check/replace next?

I appreciate any and all suggestions!

Ground pin 13 on the OBD2 port and count how many times the ABS light flashes

tcrone 07-21-2018 01:49 PM

Sorry, I'm not very mechanically literate. How do I "ground pin 13"? I'm familiar with the OBD2 port and have a reader, but it just directed me toward the Rear ABS sensor before I replaced it the first time. Also, my reader will only work when the check engine light is on and it hasn't turned on yet.

MoparFanatic21 07-21-2018 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by tcrone (Post 3402112)
Sorry, I'm not very mechanically literate. How do I "ground pin 13"? I'm familiar with the OBD2 port and have a reader, but it just directed me toward the Rear ABS sensor before I replaced it the first time. Also, my reader will only work when the check engine light is on and it hasn't turned on yet.

Take a wire and strip both ends. Pin 13 is on the bottom towards the right (should be the only pin by itself if you can find it I'll take a picture of mine) stick one end of the wire in that hole and the other to a bare metal surface. Before you remove the wire look at the ABS light then remove the wire. It will start to flash. If it it two numbers there will be a pause for example it may go blink pause blink blink, which would be number 12. Once I have that code I can look it up and tell you what you can look for.

tcrone 07-21-2018 03:31 PM

I believe I did what you suggested, but I didn't see the ABS Light flash at all. Here's a video of what I did: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IH...sRRiJOE6hJibRH

I was looking at the dash right when I removed it; did it several times with no luck.

Also, the dash lights are randomly off again now. Should the ABS light only flash if there's something actively wrong? Maybe I need to wait until those dash lights come on again?

MoparFanatic21 07-22-2018 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by tcrone (Post 3402119)
I believe I did what you suggested, but I didn't see the ABS Light flash at all. Here's a video of what I did: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IH...sRRiJOE6hJibRH

I was looking at the dash right when I removed it; did it several times with no luck.

Also, the dash lights are randomly off again now. Should the ABS light only flash if there's something actively wrong? Maybe I need to wait until those dash lights come on again?

If there is something wrong it should flash I'll watch your video when I have more time and see if you did it right

Shadow_Death 07-22-2018 03:25 AM

I think the bigger issue is that the Engine stalled while driving down the highway.

tcrone 07-22-2018 08:51 AM

Update to this... Still no dash lights on. Took it for a drive this morning and the ABS is kicking on when I go to stop and I"m under 10mph.

So it looks like I fixed the issue of the rear ABS sensor but created a whole new issue somehow. Perhaps I need to replace both sensors at front wheels as well since I replaced the rear abs sensor?

HeyYou 07-22-2018 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by tcrone (Post 3402210)
Update to this... Still no dash lights on. Took it for a drive this morning and the ABS is kicking on when I go to stop and I"m under 10mph.

So it looks like I fixed the issue of the rear ABS sensor but created a whole new issue somehow. Perhaps I need to replace both sensors at front wheels as well since I replaced the rear abs sensor?

No. If you have a bad wheel speed sensor, it would whine about it. If none of the brake lites are on, that isn't your problem.

Check fuses?? Headlight switch?

tcrone 07-22-2018 09:48 AM

Pulled ABS fuse out and that makes the ABS light come on. No issues with fuses. What do you mean by headlight switch?