2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quickest way to find TDC?....and couple oil pump questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 03:10 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by HighwayDUB
Another question.....I have a new Melling pump and pickup tube, but the pickup tube seems like a really snug fit when screwed into the pump. It only screws in about 1/4 inch into the pump, then stops, still leaving many threads exposed. I read that some of these have to be welded in place....

Is it normal to have threads exposed, and does it always have up be welded or can I use loctite or something else?
Never heard of a pickup tube being welded, never. As long as it seals I would say you are good to go.

Old 07-23-2018, 03:38 PM
Big Green 360
Rookie
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that problem when I replaced my oil pump (mine was also melling). It seems almost as if the threads on the pickup tube were slightly larger than the threads in the pump body and it would only screw in about a quarter-inch. I got it as tight as I could by hand and then put the pump body in a vice and got one more full turn on it and called it done. It's working just fine.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Green 360
I had that problem when I replaced my oil pump (mine was also melling). It seems almost as if the threads on the pickup tube were slightly larger than the threads in the pump body and it would only screw in about a quarter-inch. I got it as tight as I could by hand and then put the pump body in a vice and got one more full turn on it and called it done. It's working just fine.
Yep. That's what I did as well. Thing is, they are PIPE threads, which means they are tapered. So, the harder you screw it in, the better it seals. I had to work pretty hard for that last turn, and if I had gone for yet one more, it probably would have snapped off in my hands.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:35 PM
HighwayDUB
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So......

Y'all know what the best part of finally busting your *** and learning to change an oil pump for the first time is?

....firing it up, seeing no pressure, realizing you forgot to prime it, and getting to take everything apart again!!!

Ain't life Grand?

So what's the best way to prime these?

Old 07-24-2018, 07:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

On mine, it was just pour some oil into the top of the pump prior to installation. They come packed with grease....... did your oil pressure not come up at all?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:58 AM
jlake4130
Professional

i wonder if the pick up tube is not at the correct depth in the pan. Did you compare it to the old one once it was threaded into the pump?

Old 07-24-2018, 08:59 AM
jlake4130
Professional

also, that leaking input seal at the front of the trans is going to be a big problem shortly. As if you didnt have enough problems right...

Old 07-24-2018, 12:43 PM
HighwayDUB
Rookie

Nope, the oil pressure didn't come up at all. And yeah, I made sure it was the same height. I didn't notice any grease packet into it, but didn't look either.

​​​​​​Bout to take it all apart again, I'll let y'all know what happens.

Quick Reply: Quickest way to find TDC?....and couple oil pump questions.