DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   1998 Ram v10 no spark (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/416473-1998-ram-v10-no-spark.html)

_itsjavio 07-22-2018 10:07 PM

1998 Ram v10 no spark

i have a 98 Ram no spark it cranks but no spark. The asd relay and the fuel pump relay both work as they could. Asd has 12v at pin 30 . I suspected crank sensor even though I tested old one and it had correct voltage. But after new pine went in still no spark. I check power wire to coil packs and has 12v for about 3 seconds then when I crank voltage is present again. So I suspected the coils were bad did a resistance check and they were good, but still went ahead and ordered new ones and installed and still same issue NO SPARK. 😑 so I then checked all relays and fuses and 30 amp engine control 1 fuse was blown so I replaced with new one. ASD and FUEL PUMP relays still click on when supposed to. I checked fuel pressure and it’s at about 45psi. Anyone have any suggestions I could try? Please and thanks in advanced

kman4443 07-23-2018 01:25 AM

I wish I knew, my 2000 with a 5.2 is doing the same thing.

MoparFanatic21 07-23-2018 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by _itsjavio (Post 3402361)
i have a 98 Ram no spark it cranks but no spark. The asd relay and the fuel pump relay both work as they could. Asd has 12v at pin 30 . I suspected crank sensor even though I tested old one and it had correct voltage. But after new pine went in still no spark. I check power wire to coil packs and has 12v for about 3 seconds then when I crank voltage is present again. So I suspected the coils were bad did a resistance check and they were good, but still went ahead and ordered new ones and installed and still same issue NO SPARK. 😑 so I then checked all relays and fuses and 30 amp engine control 1 fuse was blown so I replaced with new one. ASD and FUEL PUMP relays still click on when supposed to. I checked fuel pressure and it’s at about 45psi. Anyone have any suggestions I could try? Please and thanks in advanced

Originally Posted by kman4443 (Post 3402381)

The ignition system on these trucks are really simple. You have sensors that signal when to for the coil an then the coil goes to the distributor or plugs. If everything else checked it good you either have a wiring issue or bad pcm

_itsjavio 07-23-2018 07:45 PM

Even if I’m getting power to the coil just not out? Also even if crank s nose is doing its job and I have injector pulse?

MoparFanatic21 07-23-2018 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by _itsjavio (Post 3402516)
Even if I’m getting power to the coil just not out? Also even if crank s nose is doing its job and I have injector pulse?

If you get injector pulse and power to the coil then it's not your PCM that would mean your coils are bad. Basically how it works is PCM gets a signal from the crank sensor which sends it to the coil and then the coil distributes that power to the cylinders. Also is fires the injectors

_itsjavio 07-23-2018 08:55 PM

The thing about the coils is i checked the resistance on the coils and all checks out perfect but I still went and bought new ones and still same resistance but nothing

_itsjavio 07-23-2018 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by kman4443 (Post 3402381)

hey you should make sure all of your spark plug wires are in the right firing order on the distributor, I bought a 2000 1500 sport with no spark issue and it happened to be all the wires were misplaced and wasn’t firing where it needed to be.

kman4443 07-24-2018 07:36 AM

I have the same problem I will have to check these things as well, when it stops raining long enough for me to do so. My truck has a new crank sensor, cam sensor, coil, and the pcm was replaced last year. Its showing no trouble codes.

kman4443 07-25-2018 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by _itsjavio (Post 3402527)

hey you should make sure all of your spark plug wires are in the right firing order on the distributor, I bought a 2000 1500 sport with no spark issue and it happened to be all the wires were misplaced and wasn’t firing where it needed to be.

But you would still get spark from the plug wires, assuming the coil was connected correctly and the wires to the cylinders were wrong. A spark wire tester would show this. Mine ran on starting fluid before it had a no spark issue.

MoparFanatic21 07-25-2018 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by kman4443 (Post 3402794)
But you would still get spark from the plug wires, assuming the coil was connected correctly and the wires to the cylinders were wrong. A spark wire tester would show this. Mine ran on starting fluid before it had a no spark issue.

You have to have a wiring issue somewhere