2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Ram 1500 5.2L A/C does not blow cold

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 02:23 PM
Everett45
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2001 Ram 1500 5.2L A/C does not blow cold

Hi all, I've had this truck for about 4 months now and it is going strong. There's only a couple of issues that I still need to sort out, one of them being the A/C. It is effectively just a fan right now when switched to Max A/C on the dial. If I remember correctly the heat works. I haven't looked into this all that much, but there are no refrigerant leaks that I know of. I don't remember what the PO told me about the A/C, whether or not he knew what the issue was. What are some things I can check? Ideally it would be as simple as a recharge, or some small part that I can replace, etc. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

Old 08-12-2018, 03:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Does the compressor engage? Might be as easy as a blend door problem.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:07 PM
Everett45
Rookie

The compressor does engage, and as a matter of fact when I fired it up this morning it was blowing somewhat cold air. Other times on a cold start it will not blow cold. Perhaps the compressor disengages once it gets warm too.

Old 08-12-2018, 06:14 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,177 Likes on 2,930 Posts

Would be interesting to have a look.

I suspect though, that the couple between the stepper motor, and the blend door, has broken, so the blend door is basically just 'flappin' in the breeze'.... which is why it works sometimes, and not others. You can drop the motor, (two screws, and an electrical connector) and check it. (I won't say 'easily', as the back screw is fun to get to.)

Old 08-12-2018, 10:53 PM
Everett45
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Would be interesting to have a look.

I suspect though, that the couple between the stepper motor, and the blend door, has broken, so the blend door is basically just 'flappin' in the breeze'.... which is why it works sometimes, and not others. You can drop the motor, (two screws, and an electrical connector) and check it. (I won't say 'easily', as the back screw is fun to get to.)
I fired it up again today and switched the A/C over to heat, and I saw the little controller rotate under the dash. The air went from cold to room temperature. I did try to get that controller off, but there’s no way to get that back screw without pulling the entire dash out. I tried shoving a Phillips bit back in there and get a 1/4” wrench on it, but no dice.

How can I pull that off? Ive heard that there’s a piece in there that will break or strip out, and that you can buy a metal replacement.

Old 08-12-2018, 11:25 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

First confirm the compressor is good and the charge is the correct amount. Too little or too much will blow warm air. They can also check for leaks at the same time.

If you want to fix the blend door, you'll need to get a skinny 90 degree screw driver and or a tiny ratchet for hobby tools. I found mine at auto stores or hardware stores. The ratchet is about 2" long. You'll have to pull some of the carpet back and tear out a little foam to access the screw. With a little patience you can get it out and back in. If you've ever changed the distributor cap its like that in difficulty. It's a two finger job but I'm only 5'9" and a pianist by trade.

Here's the replacement part you'll need:
http://heatertreater.net/dodge-ram-95-02

Old 08-12-2018, 11:36 PM
Everett45
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramman18
First confirm the compressor is good and the charge is the correct amount. Too little or too much will blow warm air. They can also check for leaks at the same time.

If you want to fix the blend door, you'll need to get a skinny 90 degree screw driver and or a tiny ratchet for hobby tools. I found mine at auto stores or hardware stores. The ratchet is about 2" long. You'll have to pull some of the carpet back and tear out a little foam to access the screw. With a little patience you can get it out and back in. If you've ever changed the distributor cap its like that in difficulty. It's a two finger job but I'm only 5'9" and a pianist by trade.

Here's the replacement part you'll need:
http://heatertreater.net/dodge-ram-95-02
Thanks for the info! I forgot I do have some of those 90 degree screwdrivers. As soon as I post this I’ll head out and try to pull it off again. If that connector piece is indeed toast, need I check the charge amount? Also, I did check the compressor’s clutch, but how can I verify the compressor itself is good?

Update:

I got the controller off and when I dropped it down it just started rotating and did not stop. I had a light plugged into the cig lighter so the key was turned to the on position. The connector piece was in great shape, no cracks or stripping. The blend door itself was still attached and moved freely; I could feel it swing over and stop when I moved it. I am going to get a recharge/check for leaks tomorrow morning.

Last edited by Everett45; 08-13-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Ramman18
Champion

Unfortunately, by removing it you probably broke it. Happened to me. They can develop a hairline crack that when disturbed will break completely. You don't want to remove it again, do you? Get the heatertreater and be done with it. If you have cold air again, hit the road. If not, get the compressor checked at a shop. They can confirm operation, oil fill, refrigerant lbs, shrader valve operation, etc.

Old 08-13-2018, 08:22 PM
Everett45
Rookie

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Unfortunately, by removing it you probably broke it. Happened to me. They can develop a hairline crack that when disturbed will break completely. You don't want to remove it again, do you? Get the heatertreater and be done with it. If you have cold air again, hit the road. If not, get the compressor checked at a shop. They can confirm operation, oil fill, refrigerant lbs, shrader valve operation, etc.
Last night I put the controller back on; I got it lined up by putting the heat dial in the center. This morning I drove out to a friend’s shop with the heat on. It worked great. We ended up recharging the refrigerant and checking for leaks. Figured out the clutch wasn’t engaging 90% of the time, and when it did it blew cold. I ordered a new clutch coil because it didn’t pull in the clutch. Thanks again for the tips guys

Old 08-13-2018, 10:26 PM
Ramman18
Champion

Congratulations!

Quick Reply: 2001 Ram 1500 5.2L A/C does not blow cold