DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   seal between the transfer case and tranny ? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/417883-seal-between-the-transfer-case-and-tranny.html)

POSram2001 09-11-2018 08:45 PM

seal between the transfer case and tranny ?

Last time I swapped the tranny I got a gasket that I think was actually for a gm because I and the guy didn’t know there wasn’t a gasket for dodge tranny’s so what do we seal it with ? Does it not need anything ?

Im swapping a good rebuilt tranny in a truck that just needs a tranny and want to know if the gasket will hurt anything ? Or if I need to seal it at all ?

After the swap in the truck before this one it had engine problems so I don’t if the gasket would give me problems or not.

HeyYou 09-11-2018 08:47 PM

Worst case, the gasket acts as a spacer, and move the t-case back somewhat less than an eighth of an inch..... I don't see any harm in having one in there.

MoparFanatic21 09-12-2018 01:21 AM

Mine had no "spacer" just had RTV to seal it. But I did a quick Google search and found a gasket for the Rams

HeikIlm 09-12-2018 02:15 AM

IIRC, there's a small notch on the od housing, so the gasket does nothing. I guess it's to indicate possible leak either on the t-case input or the transmission output shaft.

jlake4130 09-14-2018 09:05 AM

What HeikIlm said.
If you seal off the weep whole between the trans and transfer case and the trans output seal leaks it will/could fill the void between the two or even start to fill the tcase. Basically, you could run your trans low on fluid and not know it.
A gasket could work but no RTV silicone. you want to keep the weep hole open.

HeyYou 09-14-2018 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by jlake4130 (Post 3410331)
What HeikIlm said.
If you seal off the weep whole between the trans and transfer case and the trans output seal leaks it will/could fill the void between the two or even start to fill the tcase. Basically, you could run your trans low on fluid and not know it.

Hhhhmmm..... If you ever go thru deep water, that weep hole is going to be a problem....... I don't think filling that cavity with lake/river water would be a good idea either. Real curious why dodge put it there.

MoparFanatic21 09-14-2018 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3410381)
Hhhhmmm..... If you ever go thru deep water, that weep hole is going to be a problem....... I don't think filling that cavity with lake/river water would be a good idea either. Real curious why dodge put it there.

Originally Posted by jlake4130 (Post 3410331)
What HeikIlm said.

The weep hole is there for if the gasket fails. Dodge used RTV from the factory to seal it. You just don't put any from the weep hole. It also let's you know if your rear tranny seal is bad. Hey you there are seats in there already so water isn't really an issue.