2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2000 dodge ram engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 07:32 PM
Taserface
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 dodge ram engine swap

So heres the deal i blew up my 360 magnum its toast anyways i got this LA motor from a dodge charger for next to nothing with an edelbock intake and carb and aawj heads I thought everything wold pretty much transfer between the got to the intake was going to use the rams fuel injected intake but sadly it just dont quite line up almost so i was wandering what I would need and have to do to make the conversion to carb.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:37 PM
Taserface

Oh yeah it has AOD transmission no electronic shift

Old 09-15-2018, 08:34 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

Did you keep the old magnum motor around? At a minimum, you will need the front cover and all the pulleys and balancer to run the serpentine belt setup. The magnum motor top half and the way the magnum motor routes oil is different than the LA motor. Also, the magnum motor has provisions for the factory style hydraulic roller cam where the LA does not. It's a fair bit of work to go from FI to carb, but if you are very patient and handy, the swap can be done.

Personally, I'd sell the LA motor and stick with a magnum motor to keep FI and the factory hydraulic cam. The magnum is more efficient than the LA motor. You can find decent magnum motors used in junkyards or via your local Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 09-15-2018 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:56 PM
fj5gtx
Record Breaker
Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts

I think you could take the heads to the machine shop and have them put the magnum bolt pattern in them, so it would accept your magnum kegger.

I know they will drill new magnums to work with LA intakes. I think migrating it to a carb would be alot of trouble to get a system that doesn't perform as well.

Doubtful the 318 LA will make the same torque as the 360 did. Agree with AtomicDog, you might be better off selling the LA and using the proceeds to get yourself a decent 5.9 magnum. But if you've got no cashflow and need it now, see if your machine shop can do the job. Pretty sure the magnum exhaust manifolds work on the LA...

Old 09-16-2018, 04:01 AM
Taserface

yeah i think your right I could fetch some good capital on what i got there and yes i still got the old magnum ill call around some yards see what they got around
in the mean time I was looking to see if anyone had some experience and a work around making this mod easy and affordable so more then likely ill be selling this build and looking for a low miles ram out there thanks for the advice

Old 09-17-2018, 11:58 PM
Taserface

will the stock throttle body and fuel rail fit up to this intake?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/e...iew/make/dodge

Old 09-18-2018, 06:40 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

That's a LA intake. Still considering this swap? What are you going to do about the crank sensor? The LA motors don't have provisions for one.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:53 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 298 Likes on 282 Posts

To make the LA motor work with the crank sensor, it could possibly work by using the flexplate from a 5.2 magnum motor.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

No mounting provisions for the sensor.. You could maybe use a 'crank trigger' that mounts on the front..... More work than it's really worth though.

Quick Reply: 2000 dodge ram engine swap