DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Aftermarket Transmission Oil Cooler (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/419021-aftermarket-transmission-oil-cooler.html)

MoparFanatic21 10-26-2018 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Laforge (Post 3415619)
https://www.partsgeek.com/kw66z5h-do...ion+Oil+Cooler
Would something like this work for my truck?

If you have A/C the cooler goes between the radiator and Condenser. So you need to take measurements and one you have those measurements then just find one that fits those dimensions

Charlie Laforge 10-26-2018 01:50 PM

I just realized something, the cooler lines go through the radiator, then through the trans cooler radiator. I just need to replace the trans cooler radiator, I think ill just bypass the radiator itself as I dont want to buy a whole other radiator, as mine is more than likely full of gunk from when my tranny kicked the bucket. So I just need to find a bigger aftermarket trans cooler for the truck itself.

MoparFanatic21 10-26-2018 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Laforge (Post 3415634)
I just realized something, the cooler lines go through the radiator, then through the trans cooler radiator. I just need to replace the trans cooler radiator, I think ill just bypass the radiator itself as I dont want to buy a whole other radiator, as mine is more than likely full of gunk from when my tranny kicked the bucket. So I just need to find a bigger aftermarket trans cooler for the truck itself.

I may not understand completely. The lines should go through the radiator and then to a cooler (if factory equipped) and then to the trans. If you live in a cold state you need the radiator cooler.

Sheriff420 10-26-2018 04:28 PM

Get the stacked plate style, not the tube in fin style.
When my transmission was rebuilt the tube in fin style couldn't keep the fluid cool enough, swapped it for the stacked plate style and it stays dead on 176º.
The lines are rubber and are clamped to the transmission lines.
I believe the transmission cooler (the little one in front of the radiator) was part of the tow package from Dodge, mine was built into the radiator.

Charlie Laforge 10-26-2018 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Sheriff420 (Post 3415662)
https://www.amazon.com/70268-SuperCo...ustomerReviews

Get the stacked plate style, not the tube in fin style.
When my transmission was rebuilt the tube in fin style couldn't keep the fluid cool enough, swapped it for the stacked plate style and it stays dead on 176º.
The lines are rubber and are clamped to the transmission lines.
I believe the transmission cooler (the little one in front of the radiator) was part of the tow package from Dodge, mine was built into the radiator.

Did that amazon link work for your truck? My truck does have the little cooler in front of the radiator and mine does have the tow package so it makes sense. Did you then completely bypass your radiator and went with the trans cooler itself?

MoparFanatic21 10-26-2018 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Charlie Laforge (Post 3415675)

Did that amazon link work for your truck? My truck does have the little cooler in front of the radiator and mine does have the tow package so it makes sense. Did you then completely bypass your radiator and went with the trans cooler itself?

The cooler in the trans is really just to heat up the fluid. That's why you need it in colder climates. You can over cool your transmission as it has to be at a certain degree before you get overdrive. Just remember placement of the cooler is important but will also affect other things and how well it is cooled. The best place is in front of everything but may affect your A/C. I upgraded my cooler kept it in the factory spot and installed a temp gauge before and after the cooler to monitor the temps. I also installed an electric helper fan out front to push air through everything (like the later 1st gen Durango's had). I actually used the Durango fan.

Charlie Laforge 10-26-2018 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3415677)
The cooler in the trans is really just to heat up the fluid. That's why you need it in colder climates. You can over cool your transmission as it has to be at a certain degree before you get overdrive. Just remember placement of the cooler is important but will also affect other things and how well it is cooled. The best place is in front of everything but may affect your A/C. I upgraded my cooler kept it in the factory spot and installed a temp gauge before and after the cooler to monitor the temps. I also installed an electric helper fan out front to push air through everything (like the later 1st gen Durango's had). I actually used the Durango fan.

I live in Montana and the winters can be harsh, so the cooler that goes into the radiator actually keeps it at a warmer temperature so it doesn't get too cold? So it probably wouldn't be wise to bypass the radiator.

MoparFanatic21 10-27-2018 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Charlie Laforge (Post 3415706)
I live in Montana and the winters can be harsh, so the cooler that goes into the radiator actually keeps it at a warmer temperature so it doesn't get too cold? So it probably wouldn't be wise to bypass the radiator.

Yes it heats it up for you to get O/D. If you live in colder climates you can't bypass it. Test it out. On a cool night (we are into the 30s in PA) start the truck up and drive you'll notice you don't have 4th until the truck warms up. Now if you lived in Texas you could easily bypass the radiator. A tranny can be overcooled just like an engine. When an engine is overcooled you lose heat, with a tranny you lose O/D.

Sheriff420 10-27-2018 10:11 AM

The B&M is the same (and only) cooler I have. It's mounted in the front so it's the first thing to catch air. It is connected directly to the transmission lines with the check ball removed from them. The transmission guy is the one that put it on my truck.
The only issue I have is that I have to put my truck in neutral for about 10 seconds on a cold start because without the check ball the fluid drains out and I have a no/sluggish go for the first take off if I don't wait.
I live in NC where nights average high 20's and low 30's in the coldest part of winter.

MoparFanatic21 10-27-2018 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Sheriff420 (Post 3415748)
The B&M is the same (and only) cooler I have. It's mounted in the front so it's the first thing to catch air. It is connected directly to the transmission lines with the check ball removed from them. The transmission guy is the one that put it on my truck.
The only issue I have is that I have to put my truck in neutral for about 10 seconds on a cold start because without the check ball the fluid drains out and I have a no/sluggish go for the first take off if I don't wait.
I live in NC where nights average high 20's and low 30's in the coldest part of winter.

Do you still have the radiator "cooler?"