DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Will adding a disk brake conversion add to my towing capacity? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/419761-will-adding-a-disk-brake-conversion-add-to-my-towing-capacity.html)

wca_tim 11-23-2018 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Gary-L (Post 3419584)
Then he'd have to beef up his springs. I hauled loads up to Canada and across many states with the heavier duty shocks and nary an issue. The trailer itself weighed 1,800-lbs. I upgraded the shocks not long after the first time I hitched that thing to my truck due to how much it pushed down the rear end.

I'v e gotten away with it as well.. but would hesitate to tell someone else to do it.

I've found on my 95 ram 1500 4wd that aside from putting a couple extra leafs in the rear springs (built a bastard set using mine and some others...), the factory brakes are not the greatest for stopping with even a modest 4,000 pound total boat on the back. One really great mod is to swap for the large (8,800 gvrw) calipers and shoes. they'll bolt right on and will work with standard 1500 series 5 lug rotors so long as they're turned all the way in (or new). This made a tremendous difference on my truck and I have the same setup (except 8 lug rotors, dana 60) on the front of my van with very good results. With the difference it made, I'd do it even if I weren't planning any towing... I think it cost about $120 to do on my truck... more on the van because I had to have brake lines made.

HeyYou 11-23-2018 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by wca_tim (Post 3419588)
I'v e gotten away with it as well.. but would hesitate to tell someone else to do it.

I've found on my 95 ram 1500 4wd that aside from putting a couple extra leafs in the rear springs (built a bastard set using mine and some others...), the factory brakes are not the greatest for stopping with even a modest 4,000 pound total boat on the back. One really great mod is to swap for the large (8,800 gvrw) calipers and shoes. they'll bolt right on and will work with standard 1500 series 5 lug rotors so long as they're turned all the way in (or new). This made a tremendous difference on my truck and I have the same setup (except 8 lug rotors, dana 60) on the front of my van with very good results. With the difference it made, I'd do it even if I weren't planning any towing... I think it cost about $120 to do on my truck... more on the van because I had to have brake lines made.

Calipers from the 3/4 ton are tricky, as at some point (98.5?) the 8800 gvw trucks went from single piston calipers, to dual piston calipers. When I needed bleeder valves for my 96 3/4 ton, (8800 gvw) the first whooped out with the dual piston calipers, as that is what their book said was correct.... it isn't. The 3/4 tons then used the same caliper as the light duty 3/4 ton trucks did. (7500 gvw, or some such) I wouldn't be surprised if the 1 ton trucks didn't pull the same stunt.

MoparFanatic21 11-23-2018 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3419593)
Calipers from the 3/4 ton are tricky, as at some point (98.5?) the 8800 gvw trucks went from single piston calipers, to dual piston calipers. When I needed bleeder valves for my 96 3/4 ton, (8800 gvw) the first whooped out with the dual piston calipers, as that is what their book said was correct.... it isn't. The 3/4 tons then used the same caliper as the light duty 3/4 ton trucks did. (7500 gvw, or some such) I wouldn't be surprised if the 1 ton trucks didn't pull the same stunt.

When I did this on my 1500 they didn't show the dual piston caliper until 2000

HeyYou 11-23-2018 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3419611)
When I did this on my 1500 they didn't show the dual piston caliper until 2000

I am not really sure when the dual piston fellers actually showed up..... There were a LOT of changes for 98.5, so, that was just a WAG. The folks at advance auto insisted the dual piston fellers were what my truck needed, but, just lookin' at 'em, I could see they wouldn't fit. :) They are indeed single piston, just larger diameter than what the 1500's have.

MoparFanatic21 11-24-2018 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3419619)
I am not really sure when the dual piston fellers actually showed up..... There were a LOT of changes for 98.5, so, that was just a WAG. The folks at advance auto insisted the dual piston fellers were what my truck needed, but, just lookin' at 'em, I could see they wouldn't fit. :) They are indeed single piston, just larger diameter than what the 1500's have.

I just figured I'd chime in with my findings lol

wca_tim 11-24-2018 01:35 PM

trying to delete.. wrong thread...

Ramman18 11-24-2018 03:04 PM

Doesn't matter what you do to your truck, the tow rating will never change. It is stamped on the door sill and that's what the gov looks at when you're in a wreck. You could swap 1 ton axles, a cummins, 6spd manual, twin turbos, air bags, and hydraulic steering and you'd still only be able to legally tow whatever the sticker says.

If you do decide to illegally tow, please let me know when and where so I can avoid you at all costs. Or just go get your CDL and the proper rig. Rant over.

retarmy 11-24-2018 03:39 PM

Thanks all

i think it’s time to buy another truck. It gave me a good 29 years and 84000 miles.

MoparFanatic21 11-24-2018 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by retarmy (Post 3419664)
i think it’s time to buy another truck. It gave me a good 29 years and 84000 miles.

I once towed 15,000 pounds with a 318 Dodge Durango. Most I towed with my 360 1500 was 16,450.

fj5gtx 11-24-2018 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ramman18 (Post 3419658)
Doesn't matter what you do to your truck, the tow rating will never change. It is stamped on the door sill and that's what the gov looks at when you're in a wreck. You could swap 1 ton axles, a cummins, 6spd manual, twin turbos, air bags, and hydraulic steering and you'd still only be able to legally tow whatever the sticker says.

If you do decide to illegally tow, please let me know when and where so I can avoid you at all costs. Or just go get your CDL and the proper rig. Rant over.

Actually, at least in PA, you can decrease your capacity by registering/licensing it lower... And even though your truck can do more, you're in big trouble if you overload the spec that you registered it as and get into an accident... or get pulled over and get weighed....