DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Abs and brake light!!! (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/420045-abs-and-brake-light.html)

Anthony14 12-06-2018 01:02 AM

Abs and brake light!!!

Hi I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 3500 dualy with 5.9 Cummins. It does have 4 wheel abs. So far here is what I have replaced (rear brakes, shoes, hardware, drums, wheel cylinders, front calipers, rotors, pads, all new stainless brake lines hoses. Front steering is completely new, along with wheel hubs and speed sensors, including the rear on the diff.) I had the abs codes read and here they are 65, 52, 42, 41, 46,45,53,23,35,21,25,74,68,81. After that I went ahead and replaced the brake light switch under the dash considering that is cheaper than a module... everyone online says the fix is wheel speed sensor on rear differential, but apperantly that’s not the problem.... I’m starting to think it’s the abs module... but I don’t want to guess. I have only owned this truck for over a month and have dropped 4K into it to get it ready to plow snow. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Ramman18 12-06-2018 02:53 AM

Welcome here.
You have almost every code possible, plus one I don't have in my manual (74). I flagged #65 "Main Relay Open" as interesting. Have you checked/replaced that relay?

Also, find the ground and power wires to the CAB and make sure they are good, solid, and clean.

After that, maybe it's time for a new CAB or HCU.

Anthony14 12-06-2018 10:57 AM

What relay are you referring to? And I did replace the grounds under driver side battery box. As that caused alot of issues! Also battery’s are new and every battery cable has been replaced.

Ramman18 12-06-2018 01:12 PM

I don't know. I don't have 4WAL but I looked it up and there is a big fuse in the PDC. Maybe there's a relay somewhere I can't find. Or it's built into the CAB. How are all the connectors and wires going into the CAB?

Anthony14 12-06-2018 02:14 PM

There is a big 30-40 amp fuse in the PDC, it seems to be ok. After I put the brake light switch in last night the dash lights (abs and brake) will turn off when I start truck, once I start moving they come back on again. I did just find out the new wheel hubs with abs sensors that I installed turns out they were rubbing on the rotors. So that is a major problem that is where a short is for sure. Do I have to replace them or can I solder them back together and heat shrink...?? I would think those are delicate and that would create to much resistance...?

MoparFanatic21 12-06-2018 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Anthony14 (Post 3420964)
There is a big 30-40 amp fuse in the PDC, it seems to be ok. After I put the brake light switch in last night the dash lights (abs and brake) will turn off when I start truck, once I start moving they come back on again. I did just find out the new wheel hubs with abs sensors that I installed turns out they were rubbing on the rotors. So that is a major problem that is where a short is for sure. Do I have to replace them or can I solder them back together and heat shrink...?? I would think those are delicate and that would create to much resistance...?

Are you sure there isn't air in the brake lines?

Anthony14 12-06-2018 04:29 PM

Pedal is firm and only has about an inch of travel so I wouldn’t think there is air in system

MoparFanatic21 12-06-2018 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Anthony14 (Post 3420983)
Pedal is firm and only has about an inch of travel so I wouldn’t think there is air in system

So was mine until I rebleed the back brakes and then the lights went out. But I only have rear wheel abs

HeyYou 12-06-2018 05:25 PM

If the lights only come on when you move, thats a wheel speed sensor problem. If the front sensors were rubbing on the rotors, thats where I would start looking.

Anthony14 12-07-2018 03:29 AM

Okay so I changed the abs sensor on front passenger side due to rubbing on rotor. The driver side was okay. That was an expensive lesson learned. It’s crazy I work on a ton of cars through out the week but it’s always your personal one that gets you stuck. Anyway I still have abs and brake light on after fixing the speed sensors.... I also noticed a new problem when I hit the brakes the rear amber turn signal lights, light up. It’s a dump bed so nothing is stock. I just put all new lights and re wireded from the cab back, everything was working fine until I changed that brake switch last night. So my guess is I got a defective switch from NAPA....?