2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which type Spark Plug Wires and fuel filter 1999

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 10:43 PM
clarissa otto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which type Spark Plug Wires and fuel filter 1999

Hello everyone, I need to buy a few parts for a tune up and spend hours searching and calling auto part stores and no one seems to know the exact parts I need? I am new to this as my neighbor is going to help me to fix the current engine issues. I have all the other parts but am stuck with these:

I am looking for Spark Plug Wires and don’t know if I need short or long ones?
Which fuel filter?

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 V8 Magnum RWD

Thank you so much helping out a beginner !

Old 12-11-2018, 11:09 PM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Every shop should know what you need if you give them the engine size as they sell them in a pre-made kit. There is no short or long. Some are long, some medium, some short. Better yet, go to Napa and get their Select brand. No need for fancy 8mm or anything. I like the 7mm Napa wires. Just do one at a time and match up the length.

There is no fuel filter on our trucks. There is a sock that is attached to the pump inside the tank. If you aren't having any fuel or starting issues, leave it.

Other tune up parts: Champion RC12LC4 or RC12YC (short nose), brass cap and rotor (again Napa), and clean the throttle body and IAC. After that, there isn't much to do!

Old 12-12-2018, 10:41 AM
clarissa otto

Thank you so much. I had gone to several stores and they weren’t sure. I will follow your suggestions and buy from NAPA

Old 12-13-2018, 07:45 AM
rayaa3
Professional

stores 'weren't sure' is kind of interesting...

if you are going to a parts store (autozone, napa, oriellys, etc) and they get year, model, engine - that should be enough to pick an OEM fit from their list and whatever brand they carry. (totally different story if you are buying filters, plugs, wires from a big box store like wally-world, sams, costco, etc---they have all kinds of reasons to be 'not sure' about what you are looking for.

If you are going to a parts store I find "not sure" comes from is this (at least for an easy to fit part like wires, etc)

We don't have OEM fit in stock, we have these non OEM wires in stock...I'm not sure if they will fit (and they are right, these non vehicle specific wires - no way to know how they fit). What the shop *should* DO IS SAY: I don't have an exact fit in stock, if you give me until XXXXX date I can get an OEM fit from this brand, do you want me to order it? Instead what you are sometimes told is "we have these and these, I'm not sure which fit"(and they really don't, they are not OEM exact fit parts).

In an effort to completely side step this - I now go directly to the website in question and order online - after giving my vehcile specifics, I see what they have available in the store - what is available if I wait, and they always have really clear guidelines on the website like "exact vehicle fit" or some similar wording. That way I'm not simply sold what happens to be in stock that day.

I can't think of any other reason that they could be 'unsure' of fit for your truck, if you gave them the level of specifics you gave us (year, engine, 4x4 vs rwd) there are some parts that require more detail, but not THOSE parts.

At any rate - when I replaced my wires last year on the V10 I just used the OEM Accel wires from oriellys (and OEM plugs as well) for any number of things I find there is no reason to tinker with anything fancy, the $2 OEM spark plugs work just fine...and if the $10 high end plugs are suppose to last 10 years - that means that I went 10 years without examining them, which wasn't sage advice anyway.

That's my .02.

Ray

Old 12-15-2018, 02:26 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The fuel pump is built with a three stage filtering system. The base of the pump assy has a "sock", which screens out very large particles. A finer stage filter is inside the fuel pump housing and filters very fine particles from entering the fuel pump. Finally, the pressure regulator, which is mounted atop the fuel pump assy, acts like a third stage filter before the fuel gets to the injectors. Overall, there is nothing to be replaced until the fuel pump dies.

Quick Reply: Which type Spark Plug Wires and fuel filter 1999