DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Transmision shifting issues (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/420383-transmision-shifting-issues.html)

badasr1 12-22-2018 12:16 AM

Transmision shifting issues

Hi there. I searched all through the sticky about monteC and didn't find anything about the problem I'm having with my tranny, so maybe someone hopefully has a idea of what might be going on with it. I'll explain.
I'll put the truck in drive and start to accelerate down the road the rpm will continue to clime to about 3500-4000 and the truck will not shift until I get off the throttle and coast a bit and then it will shift into the next gear and then rapidly shift through all the gears all the way into OD which is to high of a gear for the speed that I am traveling 45-50 mph when it does shift, the shifts are normal no slipping or banging into the next gear. Once traveling down the interstate everything is fine but when I start going up a incline and give it more throttle to maintain speed it will not down shift until the throttle pedal is mashed all the way to the floor then it will down shift two gears and then right after up shift one gear and then back down again and as speed increases it will up shift normally all the way into OD. Instead of mashing the pedal to the floor to get it to down shift I can take it out of OD with the button and that works fine. The transmission doesn't slip at all when it is shifting in does not bang or slam into any of the gears. It just doesn't shift when it is supposed to. Any ideas or input would be great. Thank you.

HeyYou 12-22-2018 09:41 AM

What year is your truck??

badasr1 12-22-2018 10:07 AM

Oh yea. Sorry about that. It's a 1999 dodge 1500 with the 5.2 engine.

HeyYou 12-22-2018 05:33 PM

Replace the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. Get the borg warner heavy duty set, which I think is pretty much all you can find anymore..... While you are in the trans, change the filter, and adjust the bands as well.

DerTruck 12-22-2018 06:00 PM

If the actual gear changes are normal check the throttle position sensor before tearing into the transmission.

badasr1 12-23-2018 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3423058)
Replace the governor pressure sensor and solenoid. Get the borg warner heavy duty set, which I think is pretty much all you can find anymore..... While you are in the trans, change the filter, and adjust the bands as well.

you wouldn't happen to be able to recommend a good supplier for these parts?

HeyYou 12-23-2018 09:27 AM

Any of the high rated sellers on EBay. Should be able to get both for under 100 bucks.

badasr1 12-24-2018 11:57 AM

Thank you for the responses. I have ordered a solenoid sensor filter kit and it's on it's way. I'll also check the tps and make sure it is functioning correctly. I'll pick a day next week when my new u-joints get here and do everything at the same time. I'll post a update to report the results. Thank you again.

badasr1 01-11-2019 12:57 PM

So here is the update. I replaced the Govenor pressure solenoid and sensor and floater and refilled tranny to correct amount. That didn't change anything. So I took the other advise sort of, I didn'check the tps I just went ahead and replaced it. Changing the tps made a huge difference. Started shifting when it supposed to. It is not exactly where it should be so I think the tv cable may need just a slight adjustment. Thank you for all the help and suggestions.

HeyYou 01-11-2019 06:37 PM

That's rather odd the TPS would cause that. Not usual symptoms..... Wonder if you had more than just one problem....