DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   LS swap? Dont hate (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/420490-ls-swap-dont-hate.html)

Unusual 12-27-2018 10:18 AM

LS swap? Dont hate

Hey guys, new to posting on forums so don't be too harsh. Brief background, been driving a 99 ram 1500 2wd 318 for a while now. (Since 2009) I've done simple power mods (headers, full exhaust, plenum pan upgrade, colder plugs) and frequently do routine maintenance on her to keep her fresh. Love the truck even though the dash is falling apart, has minor road wonder and sucks gas like no tomorrow. I just love its' character (I'm sure most of you can relate) but lately I've been itching for just that little more. This is where it might start to get a little crazy for you mopar guys. I'm sure you all heard of sloppy Mechanics YouTube. Well he sparked this idea in me to stride for an LS swap in the old dodge. Being the mechanically inquisitive person I am it seems like a much enjoyable challenge. But before you all start calling me crazy blah blah blah hear me out. I've done quite a bit of research (which includes browsing mopar fourms, LS forums, data sheets, ect.) let me just say that the mopar guys are the most unhelpful party on this topic. Most posts, if not all, that I've seen on mopar forums about this topic are just beating the idea of an LS swap down. Saying you're better off sticking with mopar... and hemi this and that. Ok I get, it's the brand loyalty and all, but some guys (including myself) are looking to do something different. I don't want to sound like I'm hating, but I've been getting a little frustrated from hitting dead ends. Personally i'd think it would be cool if we can start a thread or discussion or w/e that can help the guys who are looking to do the sawp out of curiosity and to learn. It's not always who the better performer is. Maybe it's all out there already and I'm looking in the wrong place. In that case I would greatly appreciate the guidance. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest (if you're still there lol). What do you think?

jkeaton 12-27-2018 11:09 AM

I think it would be a cool project. Hopefully more will chime in with positive vibes. Welcome to the forum.

AtomicDog 12-27-2018 11:14 AM

Should be doable. I'd be highly surprised if it hasn't already been done. As long as you have the time and access/funds for the necessary parts to do the swap, go for it. Given that the truck is 2WD, that should make it fairly straight forward.

MoparFanatic21 12-27-2018 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Unusual (Post 3423577)
Hey guys, new to posting on forums so don't be too harsh. Brief background, been driving a 99 ram 1500 2wd 318 for a while now. (Since 2009) I've done simple power mods (headers, full exhaust, plenum pan upgrade, colder plugs) and frequently do routine maintenance on her to keep her fresh. Love the truck even though the dash is falling apart, has minor road wonder and sucks gas like no tomorrow. I just love its' character (I'm sure most of you can relate) but lately I've been itching for just that little more. This is where it might start to get a little crazy for you mopar guys. I'm sure you all heard of sloppy Mechanics YouTube. Well he sparked this idea in me to stride for an LS swap in the old dodge. Being the mechanically inquisitive person I am it seems like a much enjoyable challenge. But before you all start calling me crazy blah blah blah hear me out. I've done quite a bit of research (which includes browsing mopar fourms, LS forums, data sheets, ect.) let me just say that the mopar guys are the most unhelpful party on this topic. Most posts, if not all, that I've seen on mopar forums about this topic are just beating the idea of an LS swap down. Saying you're better off sticking with mopar... and hemi this and that. Ok I get, it's the brand loyalty and all, but some guys (including myself) are looking to do something different. I don't want to sound like I'm hating, but I've been getting a little frustrated from hitting dead ends. Personally i'd think it would be cool if we can start a thread or discussion or w/e that can help the guys who are looking to do the sawp out of curiosity and to learn. It's not always who the better performer is. Maybe it's all out there already and I'm looking in the wrong place. In that case I would greatly appreciate the guidance. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest (if you're still there lol). What do you think?

Somebody will chime in here (hopefully). I will stick with a Mopar engine and finish swapping in my Hemi. Hopefully you get your LS swapped. I have nothing at all to throw in as I don't know Chevy

HeyYou 12-27-2018 01:55 PM

Think I would go with a gm trans as well, just to get around some of the 'adapter' issues. The fun part is going to be getting the GM electronics to talk to the Mopar gauges, and I don't think it can be easily done. ALL the gauges go thru the PCM on the 98 and newer trucks. Including the friggin' gas gauge...... I don't think the GM's electronics will speak the right language for them. If your truck were 97 or older, it'd be easier. Of course, doing the hemi swap, you run into pretty much the same problem, but, you can swap in a third gen ram dash, and it actually fits reasonably well..... and everything plays nice together.

So, just getting the motor/trans mounted is only the first part of the battle. I think it would be easiest to just put together a custom cluster for the gauges. I am not familiar with the newer GM electronics though, to tell you how that could be done.

MoparFanatic21 12-27-2018 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3423601)
Think I would go with a gm trans as well, just to get around some of the 'adapter' issues. The fun part is going to be getting the GM electronics to talk to the Mopar gauges, and I don't think it can be easily done. ALL the gauges go thru the PCM on the 98 and newer trucks. Including the friggin' gas gauge...... I don't think the GM's electronics will speak the right language for them. If your truck were 97 or older, it'd be easier. Of course, doing the hemi swap, you run into pretty much the same problem, but, you can swap in a third gen ram dash, and it actually fits reasonably well..... and everything plays nice together.

So, just getting the motor/trans mounted is only the first part of the battle. I think it would be easiest to just put together a custom cluster for the gauges. I am not familiar with the newer GM electronics though, to tell you how that could be done.

The Hemi swap gauge cluster can be done 3 ways.
1. 00-01 Dakota or Durango cluster as they used the same computer system as the Hemi
2. Just swapping in the 3rd gen cluster
3. You can even use your cluster on 99-01 second gens
I thought about a 06 dash you say they fit well?

Unusual 12-28-2018 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3423601)

Hmmm might have to look into a third gen dash swap. Mine is literally getting down to the frame. And a gm trans will be a must. As far as the electronics, that's where I start scratching my head. Was unaware the gauges went through the pcm. Which really sucks, was hoping the cluster went through the body control module. On the fence if I'm doing a GM ecm or some other type of stand alone system.

HeyYou 12-28-2018 09:30 AM

There was a thread some time back, on doing a hemi swap in a second gen. That member had a third gen truck as a parts donor, and simply transferred the dash to his second gen. I do believe there was some custom work involved, but, it's been a while, and I just don't remember. The thread is still around though. (he never completed his swap, the thread ran for over a year, and I think he ran out of time/patience/money for the project.)

HeikIlm 12-28-2018 12:10 PM

Do you have some specific engine in mind? 5.3, 6.0 or 6.2? There are lot of variations, but I assume it's the truck engine you're planning?
I have lot of links to ls-swap information, just can't remember which device has them.... Probably my laptop. Anyways, this site has lot of info about wiring; http://www.lt1swap.com/index.htm He can also do programming, like de-activating VATS or AFM/DOD. AFM is on every 5.3 engine from 2007, also some 6.0/6.2. It's suggested to be de-activated because they tend to have oil comsumption issues and lifter trouble.
4L80E would be transmission of my choice.

MoparFanatic21 12-28-2018 12:53 PM

This is not a possible swap unless you either use a Chevy cluster or make your own cluster. They use to different computer systems and Dodge uses a security input for all the items the truck runs