DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   2001 dodge ram 1500 p1740 (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/421429-2001-dodge-ram-1500-p1740.html)

Trickman669 02-12-2019 12:04 AM

2001 dodge ram 1500 p1740

So recently the code p1740 has been popping up, i have read online about it and it seems like it can be a fluke code. My transmision was rebuilt about 50k miles ago and shifts perfectly even with this code. So im not so sure what to do and of course its showing up when i am trying to sell it. Any ideas on why this code is appearing even though everything seems fine?

jkeaton 02-12-2019 09:33 AM

• Low transmission fluid level
  • Dirty transmission fluid
  • Faulty Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) and Overdrive (OD) Solenoid
  • Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) and Overdrive (OD) Solenoid harness is open or shorted
  • Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) and Overdrive (OD) Solenoid circuit poor electrical connection

DerTruck 02-12-2019 02:46 PM

You would obviously notice if the transmission does not go into overdrive, but torque converter clutch is more difficult because of the small RPM drop. Can you confirm the TCC is working normally ? On my truck I can get it to unlock/lock by just ever so slightly pressing the pedal when in overdrive, typically on a slight incline. The RPMs briefly flare up by 200 or so. Some googling shows there is a boost valve in the transmission that likes to fail.
Code setting criteria is : "Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) and Overdrive (OD) clutch are tested when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) requests TCC engagement in 3rd gear and Overdrive. The P1740 code will set if expected RPM drop is not achieved while attempting to engine TCC and/or Overdrive. The P1740 code indicates malfunctioning torque converter or overdrive clutch."

Trickman669 02-12-2019 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by DerTruck (Post 3429125)
You would obviously notice if the transmission does not go into overdrive, but torque converter clutch is more difficult because of the small RPM drop. Can you confirm the TCC is working normally ? On my truck I can get it to unlock/lock by just ever so slightly pressing the pedal when in overdrive, typically on a slight incline. The RPMs briefly flare up by 200 or so. Some googling shows there is a boost valve in the transmission that likes to fail.
Code setting criteria is : "Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) and Overdrive (OD) clutch are tested when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) requests TCC engagement in 3rd gear and Overdrive. The P1740 code will set if expected RPM drop is not achieved while attempting to engine TCC and/or Overdrive. The P1740 code indicates malfunctioning torque converter or overdrive clutch."

Well I have not noticed a difference in shifting since the day I bought it, so im really not sure. The code had come on a few months ago but i cleared it and it stayed off for a long time and just recently it has been popping back up. I dont really want to take it to a mechanic because I am trying to sell it for $3000 becauase I am in need of the money. Do you know how much I could possibly get for it with this code?

HeyYou 02-12-2019 04:42 PM

Just clear the codes again, and call it a day. If the trans is shifting properly, its likely just the computer being stupid. It happens.

MoparFanatic21 02-12-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3429137)
Just clear the codes again, and call it a day. If the trans is shifting properly, its likely just the computer being stupid. It happens.

Computers being stupid that never happens! :D

aresf11 02-13-2019 06:27 PM

p1740 is the code that popped up when my TC stopped going into lockup. For the most part, it shifted correctly up to the point that I had the trans built, but there were little signs that things were starting to go wrong. When you pull your dipstick, do you have bubbles on the fluid and does it smell like burnt trans fluid? The metal from the TC went through the pump, also destroying it in the process. When I finally pulled the trans to have it rebuilt, when I took off the pan, the bottom of it had about a half inch of thick grey sludge at the bottom.

joehoos 02-21-2019 03:31 PM

I noticed my truck would set the P1740 code when the fuel tank was below a 1/4 tank.