DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   2000 Dodge Ram p1762 after Shift Solenoid/Governor/Transducer Replacement (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/422120-2000-dodge-ram-p1762-after-shift-solenoid-governor-transducer-replacement.html)

l33ch 03-19-2019 05:39 PM

2000 Dodge Ram p1762 after Shift Solenoid/Governor/Transducer Replacement

I replaced the shift solenoid/transducer/governor and truck ran good for a couple weeks and then I got a p1762 check engine light. I do not have 1st gear, all other gears including reverse and overdrive work. I put it off for a few months but since the weather was better, I decided to try to troubleshoot this issue.

It's been stated that the O2 sensors (upstream/downstream..or both?) are on the same 5v reference (or pulse or something) that the shift solenoid/transducer and/or governor are on and that a faulty o2 sensor can emit a false positive on the p1762 code which points to the parts I had recently replaced. It was recommended to disconnect the o2 sensors (upsteam/downstream) clear the CEL, and see if it comes back. I was able to reach the downstream sensors and disconnect them, and after clearing the CEL, I stared the truck and the CEL returned (with 4-5 codes vs just the p1762 code. I think I got p1762, p1763 and some others). I reconnected, reset CEL and just p1762 came back.

I'm trying to disconnect the upstream o2 sensor connectors, but I am having a really hard time trying to reach the connector (drivers side). It's just out of my reach. I am able to slide under the truck no problem, no lifts/jacks, and the wiring from upstream o2 goes up a little towards the engine, and I see the connector it's plugged into just hanging down behind the engine--may be 4 inches behind and under distributer. The plastic mounting post for the connector isn't inside anything, so this was at one time pulled out and not put back, but for the life of me, I cannot reach up far enough up to disconnect this connector--I cannot even get my fingers on it (and the other side will have to as well) to test this p1762 code if its in fact the o2 sensor or the electronics in the valve body. Any help/hints would be appreciated. I'm 60% sure it's with the electronics in the valve body, but I want to be completely sure, hence why I am trying to get the upstream sensors d/ced as well since I'm not totally sure of the 5v reference voltage thing pertains to the upstream or downstream sensors or both. Any help would be most appreciative. Thank you. Previous thread of the Governor/solenoid/transducer replacement I did can be found here:
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...sion-slip.html

Thank you!

99DR 03-20-2019 08:21 AM

If your upstream O2 sensor is bad, it's not oscillating, and would throw a code. I'd get back to that later, or look at Live Data on your scan tool (even super cheap ones have it), and look at the Bank 1, Sensor 1 (we only have one bank when it comes to O2 sensors). See if the voltage is oscillating between about .1 and .9 volts. If it is, it's fine.

l33ch 03-30-2019 05:01 PM

Update 3/30/19:

I was finally able to get the pre-cat (upstream) o2 sensors off! Pain in the ass still, but I set the parking brake and put the truck in L, and the linkage moved out of the way to allow me to reach my arm up high enough to disconnect the pre-cat (upstream) o2 sensor on the drivers side. Broke one of the mounting posts, oh well. The passenger pre-cat (upstream) was also disconnected. The post-cat o2 sensors (downstream) were still connected (I had reconnected them from earlier) and I got p1762 and p1763 codes, both codes pointed to the transmission/Governor. Then I disconnected the rear o2 sensors (downstream), so ALL 4 o2 sensors (upstream and downstream) were disconnected. NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT (at least immediately).

Took it out for a drive, no check engine light for about 1.5 miles. It 'seemed' I was able to down-shift into 2nd and 1st. If I down-shifted into 1st, and speed up (high rev) to shift into 2nd, it didn't seem to up-shift into second. If I went to Drive, then 2nd, or Drive then 1st, I 'think' it down-shifted accordingly.

Then check engine light came on (not from the upshift/downshift, I was messing with it both before and after the light came on), but somewhere along the way, the check engine light came on.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Fault Log
------------------
P0132: O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0152: O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

Pending Fault Log
------------------
P0138: O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0158: O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
ECU reports no other fault codes logged

End of report.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO codes for the transmission 1763 and/or 1762.

Does this confirm one of the O2 sensors needs to be replaced? NO O2 sensors are connected at this point. This is the weird thing, originally (when I couldn't get the pre-cat (upstream) o2 sensors disconnected), I tried to troubleshoot this via just the o2 sensors I could disconnect, the post-cat ones (downstream), so when I disconnected those, I got p1763 and p1762 codes. Today, when I disconnected the pre-cat o2 sensors (upstream), and the post cat ones (downstream) were still connected, I still got the p1763 and p1762 codes. When I had ALL of them disconnected (upstream and downstream--all 4), I didn't any of the p1763 or p1762 codes--just those o2 sensor codes shown above.

Any assistance would be appreciated. I don't want to get my hopes up, but this looks promising if it is in fact an o2 sensor(s) causing this.

Thank you

Update: I reconnected the rear 02 sensors (downstream), I connected the upstream drivers side , passenger side upstream disconnected (only one disconnected) and got these codes:

P0132: O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
P0158: O2 Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank 2 Sensor 2)

Pending Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no pending faults

I'll wait for the truck to cool off and/or tmw and reconnect the passenger side upstream o2 sensor. If the p1762/p1763 codes come up when that one is reconnected, I guess(?) the culprit will be that specific o2 sensor = passenger side upstream o2 sensor?

HeyYou 03-31-2019 01:35 PM

Yeah, if leaving one sensor unplugged doesn't set the trans codes, replace that sensor. (though, I would be tempted to replace BOTH upstream sensors at the same time.... just because.)

l33ch 03-31-2019 01:43 PM

Should that trans code come right up, if affected? What I mean, is that up to this point that p1762/63 code has been very persistent. In the past, if i cleared it, it would come back up within 5 seconds. The o2 codes don't come up right away until truck at/near temp. So I'm just following the logic, hoping that I'm giving the truck enough time to generate that transmission code since I clear the CEL when doing the process of elimination.

Yes!. I will prob replace both upstream sensors. I might also go ahead and do the downstream, just do all 4. I figured I would go with NTK/NGK for the sensors. I need to measure my o2 sensors because I'm not sure of 14 or 18 inch long pigtail. The upstreams do not plug on top of the transmission like the downstreams, but they go up high kinda behind engine along/near headers.

* I guess the locking tab/clip I broke on the o2 sensor connectors are actually part of the o2 sensor side and not the wiring harness in the vehicle, which is good, so when I replace the o2 sensor, they can lock again, and I don't have to use tape or silicon! yay.

** I'm pretty sure (will double check) I have a California emission vehicle too, so that will be fun to part match.

l33ch 03-31-2019 03:12 PM

Looks like I have a California emissions one (I'm also in California, unfortunately), and was made in October 1999 in Mexico. So I have to find 4 o2 sensors with california spec. I was hoping to go with NTK, but they do not say California emissions like the the other brands (Bosch, etc)...I was hoping to avoid Bosch. And looks like a really tight fit for the pre-cat sensors, not sure If I'll be able to get a wrench on there. Almost seems doable via a loooong extention and a o2 socket from the top, I dunno.

l33ch 03-31-2019 06:12 PM

Update: 3pm 3/31/19

This is so confusing. So just to be sure, I retested everything. It's warmer outside, etc.

With just the downstream o2's connected and the upstream driver side connected...the passenger side is disconnected I finally got
p1763 and p1762 codes.

reconnected upstream passenger and disconnected the driver upstream and got p1763 code.

disconnected the upstream passenger side and driver upstream, so just downstreams were connected and got p1762 and p1763 codes.

disconnected downstream o2 sensors. the upstream o2's are still disconnected...so all 4 are not connected and got code p1763 within 2 min or so.

So, I'm lost. Yesterday everything pointed to the o2 sensor(s)..and today everything is pointing to the transducer.

HeyYou 03-31-2019 07:09 PM

Transducer is cheap at least, though, it IS a process to change it. I would be tempted to do the governor pressure solenoid as well. (you can get both for under 100 bucks. use the borg-warner heavy duty solenoid kit.) If it hasn't been done in a while, adjust the bands while you are in there.

Do you have a scanner that can read live data???? Having a look at what your O2 sensors are doing really wouldn't be a bad idea.

PR1AWRet 03-31-2019 07:27 PM

On my 01 5.9(g) California truck, I ordered 4 generic dodge, 4 wire NTK's, and installed an extension wire with connectors for the precat pass/driver, up on top of the hard to get at transmission, connector. Ripped my elbow open and was wondering where the tranny fluid was coming from. Nice blood offering to the Dodge brothers. Should've done the O2 sensors and CPS when the trans was out, just because.

l33ch 03-31-2019 07:55 PM

I'm getting the parts together:

WIX 58613 filter and pan gasket

56028196AD - transducer

22958 - solonoid borg warner

xxxx-solenoid gasket

7-8 quarts atf+4

or should I go with 50185 borg warner solenoid? I think the 22958 is the heavy duty one? <I might have that backwards..with all the testing of o2s, etc..im a little brain fried.> I was thinking about going mopar for the transducer.

* When replaced the solenoid/transducer/tcc I got everything as a kit from cascade. So, I figured I would get them parts individually instead, in hopes I don't get any bad parts.
The parts that are CURRENTLY in the truck are these: http://www.cascadetransmissionparts....vicekit00.aspx

-2000 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab . 5.2 / 46RE transmission.