DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Spare tire winch (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/422690-spare-tire-winch.html)

Pepsiboy 04-13-2019 08:38 AM

Spare tire winch

I have a 2001 Ram 1500 Regular cab 2WD. The spare tire winch cable was broken when I purchased the truck. Is this something that can be rebuilt? (Replace the cable) New one from the dealer is OVER $135.00 becaues it is listed as "Discontinued item". Or is there comething else that can be done or used to replace the old one?

Sorry, no pictures of it as it is too wet here to get under the truck.

Thanks, in advance, for any and all help or advice.

Dave

HeyYou 04-13-2019 08:39 AM

Maybe find one from a junkyard? Car-Part.com could likely scare one up for you. I don't know if they are rebuildable or not.

Pepsiboy 04-13-2019 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3435264)
Maybe find one from a junkyard? Car-Part.com could likely scare one up for you. I don't know if they are rebuildable or not.

HeyYou,

Thanks for the reply. I have already check with a lot of the salvage yards around here. they all say the same thing. "Most of the ones we get here, we have to cut the cable to get the spare tire off as they are rusted tight". Also, they say that IF there is one that is not rusted, it probably will be damaged.

Dave

HeyYou 04-13-2019 10:02 AM

Car-part is nationwide. Find one that DOESN'T come from the rust belt. :D

MoparFanatic21 04-13-2019 04:25 PM

Heck I could even pull one for you lol

wca_tim 04-13-2019 05:06 PM

They're easy to find... and for the record, ever since the spare came off (cable snapped) with my daughter driving in highway traffic, I've also used a ratchet strap to hold the spare up in addition to the winch... Thank God no one was right behind her or oncoming when it came off....

MoparFanatic21 04-13-2019 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by wca_tim (Post 3435324)
They're easy to find... and for the record, ever since the spare came off (cable snapped) with my daughter driving in highway traffic, I've also used a ratchet strap to hold the spare up in addition to the winch... Thank God no one was right behind her or oncoming when it came off....

Never heard that, but glad no one was hurt!

AtomicDog 04-14-2019 06:57 PM

The spare tire ejected from my truck once right after I purchased it and almost took out my friend and his car following behind me. Using a ratchet strap or two in addition to the existing spare tire winch is a very wise idea and should be mandatory for safety. The wheel/tire on these trucks is pretty heavy. The spare tire winch tends to be weak where the cable and plate attach. Also, the plate has a tendency to rust out over time.

Pepsiboy 04-16-2019 09:53 AM

Well, I finally got the spare tire winch off the truck. It looks like I can open it up and repair it. Will probably tackle that later today. We have about 2 1/2 acres of grass to get mowed today before it atarts to rain again.

Dave

Johnny Almeida 04-16-2019 04:48 PM

My spare luckily dropped at the YMCA parking lot. I was readily able to find one at pick your part. been working good several years now.