DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   AC Leaks (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/423416-ac-leaks.html)

Skeptic68W 05-17-2019 08:48 PM

AC Leaks

So this is mostly a rhetorical question...but can someone explain to my why my 134a system leaks EVERY SINGLE ****ING YEAR?

I am not exaggerating at all. I've owned this truck for 6 years and I've done major AC repairs EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I've now replaced every part of the system but the condenser.

Now, it's leaking at the place where the hard lines bolt to the compressor. The O-rings there are literally 1 year old, as I put in a new compressor just last year...and now they're leaking already.

What the actual ****....

primem 05-17-2019 11:24 PM

not sure if you want a reply....did you lube the orings with pag oil. after part replacement are you oil balancing the system.

MoparFanatic21 05-18-2019 02:22 AM

That's because there is a lack of oil in the system

Skeptic68W 05-18-2019 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by primem (Post 3439430)
not sure if you want a reply....did you lube the orings with pag oil. after part replacement are you oil balancing the system.

Mostly just complaining...ugh.

Yes, the compressor that I put in last year (denso if memory serves) stated it came with the appropriate amount of oil already in it. I don't recall for certain if the O rings were lubed, but they didn't leak when the system was all put together. I pulled a vacuum on the system and left it for 30 minutes to ensure it was sealed tight. I do this every time.

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3439451)
That's because there is a lack of oil in the system

Care to explain? I don't have any other symptoms of low oil in the system.

racefan41 05-18-2019 11:54 AM

Have you had the system evacuated after taking it apart?

Skeptic68W 05-18-2019 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by racefan41 (Post 3439476)
Have you had the system evacuated after taking it apart?

Generally what happens is some component leaks, so all the refrigerant leaks out. I replace the broken part, pull a vacuum on the system to remove moisture and ensure it's sealed, then I re-fill it. So in a sense, yes, it get's evacuated.

MoparFanatic21 05-18-2019 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Skeptic68W (Post 3439480)
Generally what happens is some component leaks, so all the refrigerant leaks out. I replace the broken part, pull a vacuum on the system to remove moisture and ensure it's sealed, then I re-fill it. So in a sense, yes, it get's evacuated.

Once you get a leak and those seals now Jane came into contact to outside air they usually crack. It is recommended (even in the FSM) to replace them all.

Moparite 05-19-2019 07:38 AM

it's leaking at the place where the hard lines bolt to the compressor. The O-rings there are literally 1 year old, as I put in a new compressor just last year...and now they're leaking already.
Did you use the correct o rings? If it's been leaking every year why didn't you add some die in with the fill to ID where the leak is?

Skeptic68W 05-19-2019 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21 (Post 3439511)
Once you get a leak and those seals now Jane came into contact to outside air they usually crack. It is recommended (even in the FSM) to replace them all.

...every o ring in the system is to be replaced every single time the system is exposed to air?

Skeptic68W 05-19-2019 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Moparite (Post 3439558)
Did you use the correct o rings? If it's been leaking every year why didn't you add some die in with the fill to ID where the leak is?

The o rings don't leak every year, the o rings are a new leak. First year it was the accumulator, then the hard line on the passenger fender, then the evap core. It's always a different leak.