2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 2500 - rebuild with some issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 08:59 PM
Charaschak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 2500 - rebuild with some issues

Hello- been lurking for a bit since I picked up this truck; brief history:
Bought a 99 2500, 5.9 gas motor, manual trans, quad cab 4x4 that had been sitting for about 6-7 years (has 170k on it). Incredibly enough, little rust but a lot of original parts. Been rebuilding it since February.
New heads, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, coil, gaskets all around, plenum fix, new exhaust, steering box, cat, brakes and brake lines, whole new front end (tie rods, ball joints, shocks, etc...leveled and 35’s.

Truck now cranks right over and runs just about great.
Ive been having a code for o2 (p0135) and replaced a new Bosch sensor with an NTK. Made a difference but it came back today along with p0132, random misfire and misfire 1-8 as well as p1391 (cam or crank signal).

None of these other than the o2 were present prior to this evening. Thanks to HeyYou for the assistance previously.
I can attribute the misfire to plug wire routing since I didn’t do it with the TSB in mind, yet.
Thoughts on the upstream o2 and other codes would be appreciated. It runs great. Even when I get the misfire flashing light, it’s idling and running just fine. I drove around for about 50 miles this weekend and other than the o2 which popped up right away and never came back after being cleared (even multiple stops and prolonged shut offs).

Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,174 Likes on 2,927 Posts

Nice.

That code is for the O2 heater circuit...... since you are seeing the code with different sensors, likely a wiring issue. Verify you are getting 12 volts to the sensor, engine running. and it has a good ground.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:17 PM
Charaschak

That’s along the lines of my thinking. Would the o2 not functioning correctly have a hand in the other codes? Seems hard to believe an o2 would be involved in a misfire. I had live data running on the scanner Sunday while driving and that upstream o2 started off at 1.00000 and then started working as designed after a few minutes. Wonder what that’s all about.

The crank/cam sensor code only showed up today as
pending if that matters.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

O2 could potentially cause misfires, if it was giving artificially high readings to the PCM. See what short term, and long term fuel trims look like. (possibly a lean-burn miss) Cam or crank sensor could also give you misfires, if you are getting codes for ALL cylinders...... I would be looking at the crank sensor..... (though the cam sensor is cheaper, and easier to change..... ) Either one of those could cause misfires.... It would have been nice if dodge would have differentiated between problems with those sensors......

Does it run good for the first couple minutes, and then start screwing up?

Old 06-11-2019, 09:41 PM
Charaschak

Thanks for the input. I’ve been thinking along the same lines so it’s refreshing b
It actually never really runs bad. Starts, runs and drives just fine. Idles smooth and Rpm doesn’t fluctuate. There is only one point so far in the last few days that I’ve fired it up, run for a few, and then it sounds like it’s starting to miss. Does that for maybe 30 seconds and then the Rpms bounce back up and all good from there. No CEL comes on during that little flutter and it’s only done it once, maybe twice.
It’s a 3rd, extra vehicle, so I have time to get it right and don’t plan to use it much but I want to resolve this nonetheless.

Old 07-02-2019, 03:52 PM
Charaschak

Update: Repaired the O2 wiring (it was frayed) and no more check engine light to go along with gas mileage that doesn't read in feet traveled any more.
Did a few other things like rear end and trans fluid service (Syntorque), fixed a leaky t case seal as well as input shaft seal. Runs great. Thanks for the help.

Once on Sunday while driving I got the flashing misfire light and it actually misfired. I still haven't moved the wires around to the recommended TSB but could that be all that it is. No stored or pending codes.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:41 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Charaschak
Update: Repaired the O2 wiring (it was frayed) and no more check engine light to go along with gas mileage that doesn't read in feet traveled any more.
Did a few other things like rear end and trans fluid service (Syntorque), fixed a leaky t case seal as well as input shaft seal. Runs great. Thanks for the help.

Once on Sunday while driving I got the flashing misfire light and it actually misfired. I still haven't moved the wires around to the recommended TSB but could that be all that it is. No stored or pending codes.
Love the way you worded that. Thanks for the chuckle.

When is the last time you did a tune up? When my truck started misfiring under load, it was because the distributor cap was heavily carboned up. Change it out, end of problem.

Old 07-02-2019, 05:12 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

I had a really bad misfire one time. In a 15 minute drive each cylinder misfire count was 215. I disconnected the battery sns it never happened again.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:14 PM
Charaschak

Did a full tune up right after I rebuilt the top end. Just put a new battery in before driving it. I wonder how much of an effect the plug wires not being routed according to the TSB really has.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:18 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Charaschak
Did a full tune up right after I rebuilt the top end. Just put a new battery in before driving it. I wonder how much of an effect the plug wires not being routed according to the TSB really has.
That I can't tell you, because I never ran the wires like the TSB says to. I just run them lol

Quick Reply: 1999 2500 - rebuild with some issues