2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard steering in 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 06:28 PM
RAM_rumbler
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard steering in 4wd

Hey all I am having some steering troubles with my pretty much stock 2000 Ram 1500 sport 5.9

After putting the truck into 4wd, the steering gets awful stiff. I am not new to 4wd and this isn't your normal 4wd stiffness. There are times when the wheel gets impossible to turn. Feels like something is binding or the power steering quits.

I tried some things to see what was up and found that power steering fluid was coming out of the tightened cap when trying to turn when it was stiff. Also there was a ticking noise coming from the power steering pump and sometimes a screeching noise. Underneath I can't see anything wrong with any of the steering parts, just fluid splattered on them which I assume came from the leaking pump cap. Another interesting thing is that it stays for a bit after going back to 2wd. I spun the wheels to make sure it wasn't just still in 4wd yet.

Thanks in advance, would love to figure this out.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:02 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

Does it feel stiff when standing still in 4wd ? My WAG would be your front differential is locked up for some reason which makes it extremely hard to turn. In 2wd with the axle disconnect you wouldn't notice the diff is not working.

Old 07-13-2019, 09:21 PM
RAM_rumbler

Originally Posted by DerTruck
Does it feel stiff when standing still in 4wd ? My WAG would be your front differential is locked up for some reason which makes it extremely hard to turn. In 2wd with the axle disconnect you wouldn't notice the diff is not working.
Yes it feels stiff when standing still. I am able to drive it though, and the stiffness is not constant which made me think it wasn't the differential. Do you know what a good way to test if it was?

Thanks for the reply

Old 07-14-2019, 12:18 AM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 100 Likes on 95 Posts

If there's "kibble" moving around in the differential it might change the feel in the steering. Try putting the truck in 4wd and jack up both front wheels. When turning one wheel the other side should turn the opposite way smoothly and without being notchy or making weird noises.

The following users liked this post:
RAM_rumbler (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 09:59 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

What surface are you engaging the 4 wheel drive? Doing so on hard surface such as assault or concrete can bind things and damage the transfer case. It should only be used on non solid surfaces such as dirt mud snow etc...

The following users liked this post:
RAM_rumbler (07-14-2019)
Old 07-14-2019, 12:44 PM
RAM_rumbler

Yep just on soft ground

Quick Reply: Hard steering in 4wd