DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Remanufactured ECM (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/426857-remanufactured-ecm.html)

obow 11-03-2019 08:52 PM

Remanufactured ECM

Can anyone recommend a remanufactured ECM business for my 2001 4x4 Sport 5.9L engine. I have searched the internet but none of the places have good reviews. Any referral's would be appreciated.
Thanks
OBOW

HeyYou 11-03-2019 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by obow (Post 3458541)
Can anyone recommend a remanufactured ECM business for my 2001 4x4 Sport 5.9L engine. I have searched the internet but none of the places have good reviews. Any referral's would be appreciated.
Thanks
OBOW

And that's the problem. NONE of them have a good reputation..... There used to be one that was a sponsor here, but, that didn't last. No clue what happened to them. Don't even recall the name. Best bet is to just go to your local parts store, and have them order one for you. At least that way, if it doesn't work, you can be face to face with a real human to deal with. It's far too easy to just say "No" over the phone........

Lunchbox12347 11-04-2019 12:06 AM

I used sia electronics. There out of tilden Illinois I believe. Sent my 95 v10 ecm off got it back works like a champ. It cost around 95 bucks plus shipping. I would recommend them.

Viperdave 11-07-2019 07:31 PM

I had SIA try to fix my 95 360 heavy duty emissions ECM, charged me 95 bucks, got it back and did the same thing, sent it back they tried to fix it again and it still doesn’t work. Talked to the tech on the phone and he told me the testing equipment they have didn’t show any problems but it still starts to lose ignition when it goes into closed loop......long story short, they refunded me my 95 buck with a sincere apology

found two ECMs on eBay for 60 and 120 bucks.........60 dollar one is in it now and works great!!

I would send another to them if I needed to, I had good customer service even if they couldn’t fix it

try punching in “mopar and your part#” on eBay and see what you come up with

viperdave

Lunchbox12347 11-07-2019 07:42 PM

Viperdave what were the symptoms of your 95 360

Viperdave 11-07-2019 08:02 PM

Well I do have to tell you that my 360 came out of a one ton dually. In 1995 the 360s were all the same from 1/2 ton to 1 ton but........

360 one tons were true dual exhaust dual cats and dual o2 sensors, all others had single exhaust single cat and one o2 sensor

it started fine till it warmed up and started cutting out...I have access to a factory DRBIII scan tool and saw I was losing crank signal, tried all the aftermarket crank sensors and all did the same thing, I had a good friend who has his own shop give me a ECM from a 94 360 magnum.....it was never installed and was brand new!!

i plugged it in and it worked!! Ran real funky at idle, kind of rough cuz it was running off of one o2 sensor not 2

but never cut out!!! So I knew it was a ECM problem. Sent it out to get fixed but they couldn’t fix it so they refunded my money no problem

For some reason the ECM didn’t throw a code for crank sensor

whats yours doing, what are the symptoms??

viperdave

Lunchbox12347 11-07-2019 08:16 PM

Mine is a 95 one ton v10. It runs fine till I get on a pull or under a load then it loses power start chugging and missing. I can shut it off and restart immediately and it runs fine till I gets in a pull again. Thows a code 43. About the only thing I haven't replaced is map, throttle, and o2 sensors.

HeyYou 11-07-2019 08:20 PM

Code 43 is an ignition coil circuit failure. Unfortunately, with the DIS, there are a LOT of places that can cause that. There is the coils themselves, the modules they sit on, and then I think on yours, there is a separate ignition controller hanging out somewhere as well, then the PCM..... Ah, such fun we have for you. :D

I don't think changing any sensors are going to solve that one.

Lunchbox12347 11-07-2019 08:28 PM

I know. I've replace ecm with salvage said to be good. Had original rebuilt still same problem. Changed the icm. Ohm and voltage checked all connections at coils, asd, ecm and icm. Had it scoped at a shop they said everything was working and all the trims were good.(I'm not familiar with that term) he said he went through the harness and couldn't find a bad connection. The only thing he said was wrong was a o2 sensor was reading lean. So idk I'm pretty stumped.

Lunchbox12347 11-07-2019 08:32 PM

What sounds crazy but true is while it was acting up running rough i pulled plug wires off the coils one at a time and every one of them had spark.

HeyYou 11-07-2019 08:32 PM

I would wonder if it actually IS running lean, and the PCM is interpreting a lean-burn miss, as a failing coil....... It's a stretch, but, a possibility.

How old are the O2 sensors, if they have been replaced, what brand were the replacements?

I suppose an easy test would be to unplug the O2 sensor, clear all codes, and drive it for a while, and see what happens. If the problem doesn't come back, replace the sensors.

Lunchbox12347 11-07-2019 08:34 PM

As far as I know there factory. I have new Bosch sensors for it but I haven't installed cuz I've got to heat one up to get it out.

Viperdave 11-07-2019 08:35 PM

Just looked in my service manual and the coil packs run right from the PCM

the only vehicle that had a separate modual for spark was the early vipers. They had a VIC, viper ignition controller , it ran the coil packs and the last two fuel injectors. Funny thing is, the separate box used was a A604 trans controller box!! Lol. Engineers were saving money!!

well, code 43. Start with changing the coils packs, then start looking at wiring

Viperdave 11-07-2019 08:40 PM

Oh damn! Just thought

check the fuel pressure!!! Hook a gauge to the fuel rail and check it!!

Lunchbox12347 11-07-2019 08:42 PM

Coil packs and wires were the first thing I did. I'm going to try the o2 sensors and see were that goes. The biggest problem with that particular truck is parts available. All the main parts are either salvage or rebuilt. I'm almost to the point of a cummins swap. The truck barley has a hundred thousand miles on it

Lunchbox12347 11-07-2019 08:43 PM

New fuel pump. 40psi even while messing up.

Viperdave 11-07-2019 08:54 PM

40 is too low, should be 47 psi, I had the same problem and I was tossing ideas and heyyou mentioned my comp was trying to richen up the fuel injectors. Can your mechanic check long term idle adaptive memory??, I think you will find it’s way in the positive range

fuel pressure just too low

o2 sensor reading lean

miss interpreted by ECM as a coil pack problem

factory manual says 42-45 psi, every fuel pump Chrysler used in multipoint fuel injection uses 47 psi, I know, I’ve checked hundreds of them

at 40, just a small decrease in pressure will make it run lean and on a 1995 it won’t throw a lean code,

HeyYou 11-07-2019 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lunchbox12347 (Post 3459043)
Coil packs and wires were the first thing I did. I'm going to try the o2 sensors and see were that goes. The biggest problem with that particular truck is parts available. All the main parts are either salvage or rebuilt. I'm almost to the point of a cummins swap. The truck barley has a hundred thousand miles on it

Don't bother with bosch O2 sensors, these trucks hate 'em. NTK or Denso please.

Originally Posted by Viperdave (Post 3459047)
40 is too low, should be 47 psi, I had the same problem and I was tossing ideas and heyyou mentioned my comp was trying to richen up the fuel injectors. Can your mechanic check long term idle adaptive memory??, I think you will find it’s way in the positive range

fuel pressure just too low

o2 sensor reading lean

miss interpreted by ECM as a coil pack problem

factory manual says 42-45 psi, every fuel pump Chrysler used in multipoint fuel injection uses 47 psi, I know, I’ve checked hundreds of them

at 40, just a small decrease in pressure will make it run lean and on a 1995 it won’t throw a lean code,

I thought the older trucks ran lower fuel pressure? I would have to look in the manual to see......

Lunchbox12347 11-07-2019 08:57 PM

Well I appreciate it. Sounds like I got somewhere else to start. I'll keep u posted.

Lunchbox12347 11-07-2019 08:59 PM

Where do I get the other o2 sensors? I have a heck of a time getting anything for this truck

HeyYou 11-07-2019 09:00 PM

Most any parts store should be able to get them for you. May have to order them, but, they can usually get 'em next day. (and you don't have to pay shipping either.... :) )

Viperdave 11-07-2019 09:12 PM

Well just re checked, 1995 gas engines at idle should be 35-45 psi, fuel pressure above 45 psi is fine, as I said, every good functional fuel pump has always showed me 47 psi at idle, I adjusted mine to 50 psi and it brought down my idle adaptive memory close to 0,

was just the fuel pump replaced or the whole fuel pump modual, including sending unit? Regulator is actualy separate from pump

and yes, heyyou is totally right about bosh, they don’t work right on magnum engines.

viperdave

Lunchbox12347 11-07-2019 09:31 PM

I replaced the whole pump assembly and the rollover valve. If you have time and want to hear it I'll tell u the whole story with this truck.

Lunchbox12347 11-07-2019 09:57 PM

A year ago ran fine one day it died. No spark. Sat started ran die no spark. Replace cam sen. No fix. Crank sen. Got spark fuel pump wouldn't run. Replace it ran for a second. Lost spark and fuel. Could thump ecm and it would run. Replaced ecm with salvage one run like a new one for about a month. Then started this missing under load problem. Sent original ecm off had rebuilt. Run like new for couple week then miss under load code 43. New coil packs and wires. Same prob. Ohm volt check all connections everything where need too be. And still same problem a year later.

Viperdave 11-07-2019 10:59 PM

Well crap, your vehicle would be the one I would get at the dealership, I was a tech for 20 years 87-08, I would always get the the cars/trucks after other techs threw parts at it and didn’t fix it

first thing first, Humer me and hook up a mechanical fuel pressure gauge, run it out the back of the hood, don’t close it all the way, just first click and take it out for a drive

watch it through the windshield and see what the pressure drop is under full to almost full throttle. 40 to me seems low and the fact you have a v10 truck means it sucks down the fuel under full throttle. It shouldn’t drop at all but maybe 3-4 psi, if it drops below 38 you need to figure out why

my 79 trans van has factory fuel injection but I couldn’t use an in tank pump, it had to be external. I used an aeromotive pump and regulator and had to run a return line back to the filler neck worked great for awhile till I had the engine cutting out on take off from a stop, Take off slow and no problem. I mounted an auto meter fuel pressure gauge and watched it and my fuel pressure dropped to 33-37 psi and it started cutting out.

I found a kinked line feeding the pump so wasn’t getting enough fuel

both yours and my engine doesn’t use a return line to the tank from the factory, early magnums did have a return line and the regulator was on the fuel rail with a vacuume line hooked to it, under hard throttle, the loss of vacuum at the regulator made it spike to make sure you got good fuel to the injectors

without the return line ,,the regulator is in the tank and it has to work perfect to supply enough fuel to the engine cuz there is no vacuum line controlling it

also just for ****s and giggles, with the fuel gauge hooked up, run it for a minute or so and shut it off completely and watch the gauge

the pressure should hold for a few close to 40 psi. If it don’t and drops immediately you have a problem. The check valve near the pump should hold it close to 40psi for at least 30 seconds to a minute. Also, if it doesn’t hold that would explain the long crank times to start the motor

if everything is good with the fuel system after checking, we can move on to something else

oh, how many miles on it?

Lunchbox12347 11-10-2019 02:25 PM

Viperdave. Sorry it took so long to get back. The truck has 112000 on it. I just did fuel pressure check. On this gauge its showing 45psi. When I mash it it might drop to 43. I shut it off and 20 min later still showing 45psi.

Viperdave 11-10-2019 08:57 PM

First reply didn’t go through

ok fuel pump and system sounds good. Thanks for doing that for me

remind me year ,model, engine size?

also 112,000 on an ECM is not bad

Lunchbox12347 11-10-2019 09:16 PM

95 3500 dually v10 auto.

Viperdave 11-10-2019 09:26 PM

Ok so you have an air pump with true dual exahst and dual cats.

Viperdave 11-10-2019 09:28 PM

Do you have a thred already started for your problem?

cuz I think we hijacked another guys thred

Lunchbox12347 11-10-2019 09:28 PM

The cats have been off for several years.

Lunchbox12347 11-10-2019 09:30 PM

I think I do. Sorry I'm new to the forum scene.

Lunchbox12347 11-10-2019 09:32 PM

Ya my thread is 95 v10 with issues

Viperdave 11-10-2019 09:34 PM

Ok no prob I’ll look for it and post there