2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 Ram 1500 Rear Driveshaft u Joint blowout repercussions

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 03:14 PM
mtntrogger
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
Reread my post I edited it. I'm not sure if you would be able to get to the crush sleeve from the rear. I do know for a fact the front bearing (what they are calling the rear bearing) the pinion has to come out. The FSM doesn't have a section for replacing the crush sleeve. Just saying if you over torque the nut, torque it back it off and torque it, or don't get the same rational torque plus 5in lbs the crush sleeve will need to be replaced
Like I posted before, the rotational torque was way more than the 135 =5. It was over 150 total. So the crush sleeve needs to be replaced. Are you saying that I would need to pull the pinion gear out the back of the diff ? Would this more or less mean full on disassembly ? If so it might make more sense to just replace the entire rear end ?

Old 02-25-2020, 03:15 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

Reaading through it, you might be able to get at it from the back. What's weird is there don't cover when the preload should be when replacing the crush sleeve. They only mention it starts to crush at 120ft lbs. Then you have to go slow.

EDIT: I'm pretty positive Pinion has to come out. As it installs on the pinion before putting it into the diff housing. Sorry to tell the bad news. Yes it would need to come out the back (where the cover is) it isn't a bad job but does require a few tools you could probably rent. You could replace the rear end with a known good one

Last edited by MoparFanatic21; 02-25-2020 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:24 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Here is what I would personally do. I would try to replace the crush sleeve if I have a spare vehicle. If I happen to blow up the rear end, I would just replace it. That's me.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:50 PM
mtntrogger
Professional

Reaading through it, you might be able to get at it from the back. What's weird is there don't cover when the preload should be when replacing the crush sleeve. They only mention it starts to crush at 120ft lbs. Then you have to go slow.

EDIT: I'm pretty positive Pinion has to come out. As it installs on the pinion before putting it into the diff housing. Sorry to tell the bad news. Yes it would need to come out the back (where the cover is) it isn't a bad job but does require a few tools you could probably rent. You could replace the rear end with a known good one
F !! All just because I ddnt understand how to put that nut back on !
I dont really have a spare vehicle. My wife has a car that I can drive when shes not using it, which is how I get my parts.
Im wondering what tools you are referring to ? When I did the front axle seals I ended up having to pull out the front diff from the axle housing, it was VERY difficult. If I remeber right, I used a come along wrapped around the diff and hooked up to the front bumper. Fun
Im wondering if swapping the rearend with one from the pull n pay would be less time consuming than tearing the gears out of my current one. Ive never pulled a rear end, it looks pretty straight forward...not sure how the wifes little subaru would like having that much weight onboard back over the passes into the mountains

Old 02-25-2020, 04:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by mtntrogger
F !! All just because I ddnt understand how to put that nut back on !
I dont really have a spare vehicle. My wife has a car that I can drive when shes not using it, which is how I get my parts.
Im wondering what tools you are referring to ? When I did the front axle seals I ended up having to pull out the front diff from the axle housing, it was VERY difficult. If I remeber right, I used a come along wrapped around the diff and hooked up to the front bumper. Fun
Im wondering if swapping the rearend with one from the pull n pay would be less time consuming than tearing the gears out of my current one. Ive never pulled a rear end, it looks pretty straight forward...not sure how the wifes little subaru would like having that much weight onboard back over the passes into the mountains
Need a bearing puller for the pinion. A press to press it on (could use a shop) and a way to get the differential out (they recommend and I use one) a differential spreader.
Then it's as simple as install the new bearing and crush sleeve and reassemble.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:10 PM
mtntrogger
Professional

Need a bearing puller for the pinion. A press to press it on (could use a shop) and a way to get the differential out (they recommend and I use one) a differential spreader.
Then it's as simple as install the new bearing and crush sleeve and reassemble.
When you say "a press to press it on" are you referring to the crush sleeve ? I think I could rent the bearing puller, but would I be using that to get the pinion out of the pumpkin or the crush sleeve off the pinion ?
I did remove my front diff/carrier a few years ago.... rereading that thread reminded me how gnarly that was. But I did manage to pull it off w/o a spreader

Old 02-25-2020, 05:17 PM
mtntrogger
Professional

Can you link a pic of what this type of bearing puller looks like please ?

Old 02-25-2020, 05:18 PM
mtntrogger
Professional

Could I replace the crush sleeve only (and of course a new pinion shaft seal) without replacing any bearings or is it necessary that they also be replaced

Old 02-25-2020, 05:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

You can just do the sleeve. Inspect the bearings while you have it apart, see what they look like. If they are good, re-use them. Keep in mind, I think there are different specs on reassembly for used bearings, vs. new.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:55 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

When you say "a press to press it on" are you referring to the crush sleeve ? I think I could rent the bearing puller, but would I be using that to get the pinion out of the pumpkin or the crush sleeve off the pinion ?
I did remove my front diff/carrier a few years ago.... rereading that thread reminded me how gnarly that was. But I did manage to pull it off w/o a spreader
No the bearing (rear one). You use a plastic dead blow hammer or brass punch. Also make sure you catch the pinion with your hand or it could be damaged. Then no spreader needed
Can you link a pic of what this type of bearing puller looks like please ?
Absolutely I have the one on the right but anyone should do if it can grab it

Google "pinion bearing puller"
Could I replace the crush sleeve only (and of course a new pinion shaft seal) without replacing any bearings or is it necessary that they also be replaced
Front bearing gets damaged when removing the pinion and since you over torqued the nut, you increased the front bearing preload which means it's most likely bad.

Quick Reply: 95 Ram 1500 Rear Driveshaft u Joint blowout repercussions