2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake pedal drops to floor when running

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 03:38 AM
eblack
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pedal drops to floor when running

Good morning all, been a while... replaced all my steel lines, hoses, brakes, drums, rotors, calipers , hardware etc. Did the rear first no issues worked great, then the front a few days ago with a new master cylinder (bench bleed) and now when I start the truck the pedal drops to floor with my foot on it but solid when truck is off. I did the two man bleed along with the one man hose in the bottle easily over a gallon total. and still nothing changed . Did the same with the old master cylinder to, tried bleeding with truck on and I can't get the pedal to pump up, no visible leaks anywhere. Any help would be appreciated! 2001 ram 1500 4x4 with rear abs. Thank you.

Old 06-22-2020, 07:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

You either have a leak somewhere, or, there is still air in the system. Are the calipers installed properly? Bleeder valves facing UP? (sorry, have to ask, it's happened before. )

Old 06-22-2020, 11:25 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 307 Likes on 299 Posts

When I changed mine (before I went Hydroboost) I went through 5 master cylinders before I got one that worked. They were leaking internally.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:20 PM
eblack
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You either have a leak somewhere, or, there is still air in the system. Are the calipers installed properly? Bleeder valves facing UP? (sorry, have to ask, it's happened before. )
Funny you say that about the calipers, my originals were down so I assumed that's the way ? A buddy just happened to mention the same thing about bleeders. It makes sense now... brakes are finally working !!!! Ugh such a brain malfunction that I missed the obvious. Thank you
I literally just finished.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:03 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

LOLOL. You aren't the first, nor will you be the last, to do that. At least it works now.

Old 06-22-2020, 08:20 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts

I was in that boat before once, too. Bleeder screws must be facing up in order to bleed all of the air out of the system.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:26 AM
Aaron Maurer

Originally Posted by HeyYou
LOLOL. You aren't the first, nor will you be the last, to do that. At least it works now.
I did the same thing but had to use that caliper temporarily so i took off the caliper, bracket and rotor and put them together off of the truck and turned it so the bleeder was up and then bled it. Worked like a charm. I put it back on and it worked perfectly. LoL

Last edited by Aaron Maurer; 10-28-2022 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Sp

Quick Reply: Brake pedal drops to floor when running