DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   Help with misfire and bogging down (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/432614-help-with-misfire-and-bogging-down.html)

Goshdarnram 09-15-2020 05:48 AM

Help with misfire and bogging down

I just bought a Dodge Ram 1999 4wd v10 auto short bed.
The problem I’m having is when I’m driving down the road sometimes it will start to bog down no check engine lights it kind of sounds the more I press the gas the worse it bogs until I floor it then it feels like it starts getting full power I have no idea what’s going on. it seems like it’s missing when it’s in idle but I’m not sure I’ve never had a v10 before it drives good but when I floor it when it’s acting fine it doesn’t seem like it has much power like if I’m on a dirt road and have to give it gas it will start blogging down and not go? Any help will be much appreciated I’ve tried looking it up but to no success

i tried removing the catalytic converters and it ran worse then I removed o2 sensors (after removing the cats) and it ran better then before?

HeyYou 09-15-2020 08:25 AM

O2 sensors do age out...... if it runs better with 'em unplugged, time to replace them. Problem I had with my 8.0 was, it simply would not set a misfire code, even when I had a completely dead cylinder. (plug wire burnt in half.....)

Might wanna verify you are getting spark on all cylinders. May have a coil pack going bad, which can take out anywhere from two to six cylinders at a time.....

Goshdarnram 09-15-2020 01:00 PM

How would I check coil packs? All the plug wires look new but I did see one with a cut in it but I’m not sure

HeyYou 09-15-2020 01:33 PM

Grab a spare spark plug, pull the wire off a cylinder, stuff the spare plug into it, ground it somewhere, crank the motor. (might remove the fuel pump relay, so it doesn't start.....) Careful though, the coil packs pack a heck of a wallop, and if you have heart issues already, it can whack ya dead.

Another option would be, if you have sparkplug boot pliers, let the engine idle, and pull one wire at a time off the coil pack, but, not very far, and see if the spark will jump the gap. (should be able to actually hear it.....) Don't grab 'em with just your hands, or a non-insulated tool though. That can get WAY too exciting.

Goshdarnram 09-15-2020 01:43 PM

Lol I know I pushed down on a plug wire that had that cut in it the other day while it was running woke me up faster then black coffee But I pull the boot off about an in or 2 and see if it jumps? I’ll have to try that

HeyYou 09-15-2020 01:45 PM

And all your hair stands on end for a few days. :D

Goshdarnram 09-15-2020 02:11 PM

Exactly xD but I will try that when I get my new o2s in

HeyYou 09-15-2020 02:19 PM

Run it without 'em, see if its any better.

Goshdarnram 09-15-2020 02:22 PM

Yeah it ran better when I pulled them but I’ve herd it goes into limp mode or really weak but it seems to run fine but I’m not sure I haven’t drove it long enough after I pulled the o2 sensors I’ve herd it makes it run rich as well but i don’t know anything about o2 sensors

HeyYou 09-15-2020 02:30 PM

If the PCM doesn't get signal from the O2 sensors, it just runs off 3 dimensional tables stored in the PCM. It tends to run a bit rich, but, its not limp mode. Gas mileage suffers....... and it will set codes, (CEL on...) but, that's the extent of it.