DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   1999 1500 5.9 is dead please help!!! (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/444793-1999-1500-5-9-is-dead-please-help.html)

04rango 04-12-2023 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3564730)
Ok, if the plugs are wet, then yeah, injectors are firing.

Next question becomes, is it getting too much fuel? Also, I have had bad experiences with Champion plugs. Foul 'em out once, and they are done. I have autolites in mine....

I hear ya on the champion plugs. I actually put the old autolights back in for the time being. I hate champions. The too much fuel idea is something I was thinking like for some reason the fuel sync is totally out of whack. Btw we also for ****s and giggles tried another known good pcm with the same results. I figured the pcm was ok anyway seeing I have my 5v at my sensors and spark and fuel injector pulse.

HeyYou 04-12-2023 04:07 PM

Theoretically, if you press the gas pedal to the floor, and hold it there while cranking, it puts the PCM into 'clear flood' mode, and it dials WAY back on the gas..... But, wet plugs won't fire in any event. You could try pulling them, dryin' 'em out, and then giving it a shot.

DerTruck 04-12-2023 04:57 PM

With the symptoms pointing to a cam sensor/fuel sync issue I'd try three things:

- Move the distributor a little in both directions. "Fuel sync" merely tells the PCM which injectors to fire, the actual timing comes from the crank sensor.
- Turn the distributor 180 degrees just in case we're missing something.
- Check if all plugs are similarily wet, or 4 of them are dry/less wet. 1/8/4/3 is one group, 6/5/7/2 the other. Or check the injectors whatever is easier for you.

AtomicDog 04-12-2023 05:21 PM

I hope there is a Mopar crank sensor on the motor and not an aftermarket part. An aftermarket crank sensor can make strange things happen.. When they're in marginal shape, they can throw a pending code, but not always..

Moparite 04-12-2023 06:22 PM

What do the plugs look like(either ones you had in it) black? If you have a timing light you can put it on #1wire and see if it is firing on #1. Just curious do you know the condition of the plenum gasket? Oil in the intake? Reason is way back before i knew about the plenum gasket issue i put a timing light on it it and ran it and watched the firing. Evey so often it would fire way off where it was supposed to. Putting a load on it made it happen more. Wondering if it has a major leak that can throw off the pcm. But not starting at all is confusing. I would get new Auto Lites and that will be one less thing it could be. Make sure you let it dry out before you put the new ones in.

04rango 04-12-2023 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Moparite (Post 3564744)
What do the plugs look like(either ones you had in it) black? If you have a timing light you can put it on #1wire and see if it is firing on #1. Just curious do you know the condition of the plenum gasket? Oil in the intake? Reason is way back before i knew about the plenum gasket issue i put a timing light on it it and ran it and watched the firing. Evey so often it would fire way off where it was supposed to. Putting a load on it made it happen more. Wondering if it has a major leak that can throw off the pcm. But not starting at all is confusing. I would get new Auto Lites and that will be one less thing it could be. Make sure you let it dry out before you put the new ones in.

yes both sets got black quick. Not sure on the plenum gaskets. I would Atleast think it would run tho. I’ll have to check them.

04rango 04-19-2023 01:51 PM

Ok so finally got back to work on the truck. Got the timing set all in and confirmed all my timing was spot on. Still all the same problems. How ever I did notice today while cranking it, it almost seemed like the computer was hunting on spark timing. One minute it would crank like normal then the next it was cranking hard like when you have the distributor way too far advanced. I’ve tried a different pcm and it didn’t run. This other pcm was one that I have no idea if it was good or not. My son got it off a guy he works with and was told it was good. What’s the thoughts of possibly having a bad pcm? Well two in a row?

HeyYou 04-19-2023 02:44 PM

Remind me. :) What was the original problem?

04rango 04-19-2023 04:41 PM

Have spark fuel and compression. Have everything needed but doesn’t wanna run.

AtomicDog 04-19-2023 05:16 PM

Sounds like you've been doing some PCM swapping. What's the part number on the PCM you're using? Also, are you using a Mopar crank sensor on that motor?