2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Skyjacker 3" into 5"??

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 05:39 PM
jdcovert
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skyjacker 3" into 5"??

I just intsalled a 3" Skyjacker lift with new shocks and extra leaf in the rear. Very nice lift! Although now I'm wishing I'd gone with the five inch!!! DAD GUMMIT!!! [sm=headbang.gif] I called Skyjacker and asked if it was possible to upgrade to the 5" kit. They said there's nothing alike in the two kits. So my only option is take out the 3" and install the 5" - not really what I hoping to hear... Is it a possiblity to install Revtek spacers in the front and maybe new blocks & U-Bolts in the rear?? I would be keeping the same tire size that I'm currently running (295/75R16). Is that a good option? I know if I upgraded to 35" tires I'd have to get into steering stabilizers and pitman arms and all that jazz. Man, it would have been cheaper if I'd done this in the first place!!

Old 01-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Tani1500
Champion
Default RE: Skyjacker 3" into 5"??

the problem is your control arms would be way to short with 5in coils and you would get really bad death wabble along with alot of other bad things like the tires rubbing on the back of the wheel wheel, you would have really bad bump steer and your it puts way to much stress on the frame, axle and such. your best and cheapest option would be a body lift.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:53 PM
jdcovert
Veteran

Thanks Tani. Ya, I kinda figured. Once I add the other 2" and then do everything else that should be done, it wouldn't be too much cheaper than just buying the 5" kit anyways. If I do anything I'll get the new 5" kit and do it right. Maybe when I get the truck payed off...

Old 01-25-2006, 01:58 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd also like the 5" kit but to get 5" of lift you have to have basically almost all of the 5" kit so you'd be better off to just get the kit. The steering components are maxxed out at 3" and the control arms from your kit won't work with 5"s of lift. I have the same lift you do and will probably just end up keeping it because you basically have to buy the other kit for it to work you can't just add spacers. To use spacers you need the control arms and all the steering components from the other kit.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:58 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could also do a 2 or 3" body lift and get the extra height although I'm not crazy about them.

Old 01-25-2006, 11:38 AM
jdcovert
Veteran

ORIGINAL: hometheaterman

You could also do a 2 or 3" body lift and get the extra height although I'm not crazy about them.

Ya, I don't want to get into that. That can make things a pain down the road.

Quick Reply: Skyjacker 3" into 5"??