2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Should I trade or Not???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:00 PM
livinginh
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I trade or Not???

Hello all want some advice please.

As you can tell I have a 1997 Dodge Ram sport 1500 standard cab with the 5.9 all power options. I have a chance to trade my truck for a 1997 Dodge Ram 3500 dually SLT ext cab, all power 4x4 with the cummins deisel. And take over his payments.

He owes right at $8500 on it, books still at around $12,000. My question is would I be shooting myself in the foot on this or would it be a good deal. I want a 4x4 and a Ext cab, which my truck is neither. But not sure if it would be worth it in the long run. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 01-19-2006, 09:04 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Should I trade or Not???

I think provided the truck's in good working order, and well kept, that you'd be doing yourself a good deal with that.

That said, of course see if you can have it looked at by a mechanic and what have you, but I think if I were you, and the truck looks good, sounds good, drives good, I think you'd be well served in doing it.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Thats a big boy to be driving around all day [&:] But the desiel would be cool. Seems like a good deal though.

Old 01-19-2006, 09:12 PM
livinginh
Veteran

Yeah I know big, very big. I got pictures of it today. But I do drive a distance to work and back, and I know being a deisel the mileage is about the same if not better then what I get with my little half ton. I planned on having it checked out. He has said it has had new tires all the way around and new trans in the last 1000 miles. So if I see all the paper work and get a clear bill of health it might be worth it?

Old 01-20-2006, 12:58 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

I would say it is worth it. The other thing you have to consider is that it costs more to change the oil and fuel filters in a diesel. You might want to check that out. Other than that, as long as you can drive it without knocking the duals off on something.......go for it! How many miles is on yours and his?

Old 01-20-2006, 01:04 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally i like the looks on the dualys they can be a boat to park in some parking lots thow they deffanatley arnt a city truck are u using it mostley on the road or in town might be something else to consider but persinally i like the dualys and i like the cummins so it sounds pirfict to me lol

Old 01-20-2006, 01:52 AM
REDKNOB
Rookie

As already stated, maintenance will be more expensive on the diesel. Cool trucks though. If you like the truck man that is the bottom line. The deal itself I am not sure about, basically you are getting $3500 for your truck, do you think that is about right? I have no idea what 2wd trucks are bringing in your neck of the woods.

Old 01-20-2006, 01:20 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

I wouldn't do it, just because of the sheer size of the vehicle, and the fact that you would be driving it daily (at least it sounds that way). It's a long beast (especially if it has an 8' box). Plus it's got the dually flares on it, which means it won't fit parking spots real well and you won't be able to take it through most car washes. [:'(]

Maitenence (as mentioned) is also higher, as parts for diesel motors don't run cheap and they aren't quite as easy to work on as gassers (my dad was cummins certified). Also think about tires, you'll have to buy 6 instead of 4 when you replace em I know it has new ones on now, but they WILL wear out

An extended cab dually diesel is my dream truck. Only a 3rd gen one (or whatever gen they happen to be when I can afford a brand new one [8D]). I even looked at them before I bought my V10, but it just wasn't practical right now...due to the reasons I listed above.

The last reason is the year...it's a 97...so it's still a 12 valve diesel. 98.5+ used the 24 valve. MUCH better motor Much easier to get power out of than the 12 valve. A lot of diesel guys I've talked to that have owned both have said they'd never buy a 12 valve CTD again. Just a thought

Old 01-20-2006, 01:59 PM
hippie49445
Professional

Keep the one you have and drive as your eveyday driver. If you want a 4x4, check out this one;http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

Old 01-20-2006, 04:08 PM
REDKNOB
Rookie

hippie,

That truck is badass but I saw it listed on ebay like 6 months ago, he wants way to much for it.

Quick Reply: Should I trade or Not???