2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Impact wrench

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:44 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Impact wrench

90% of the time I use a breaker bar or a wratchet, if I cant break it loose with a 10 foot pipe and the breaker bar, the impact doesnt stand a chance

Old 03-01-2006, 02:56 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

yeah but the advantage of an impact wrench is it's vibrating the assembly which will help loosen it up. a breaker bar with an extention wont do that. I've broken a few breaker bars with extentions before... it's best to have both.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

oh I know, I have an assortment of impact wrench's, ratchets, shears, chisels, etc... The breaker bar works better for frozen nuts and bolts.

Ive broke a few things two, ive still got the 3/4 ratchet that had the head snap off and the 3/4 breaker bar that has a perma bend in it

Old 03-01-2006, 03:49 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Craftsman one that came with my 33 gal compressor from them and it sucks. It can barely break loose bolts off. It could break them loose on an ATV wheel thats all it can't even get the lug nuts loose on my truck. I'm really dissapointed I think it has 280 ft pounds of torque. I don't know if its the wrench or the compressor as something isn't right with my compressor refilling as it flips a breaker every single time and to get it to fill up sometimes you have to flip the breaker 20 times. It isn't that the breaker is not big enough either as it's a seperate one with only the compressor on it and it's a lot bigger than what the compressor calls for.

I don't think that would affect how the air gun works though. I'd also like to get another one though that will break stuff loose that I can't by hand.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:27 PM
Grizzly

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

yeah but the advantage of an impact wrench is it's vibrating the assembly which will help loosen it up. a breaker bar with an extention wont do that. I've broken a few breaker bars with extentions before... it's best to have both.
I'm with you. Start with low power and lots of Blaster to loosen things up. Then move up in power until it comes off. I've broken more bolts with a breaker bar than an air wrench. I've thought about rigging some kind of stand that I could attach the electric wrench to so that I could hook it up, turn it on and go get a beer while it worked![sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

oh trust me I know when to use an impact and when to use the breaker bar, but you sure dont achive much when your pulling the track and rear sprocket off a 450-C dozer with the impact. Took me and my old man bouncing on the 10 footer with the 3/4 breaker bar , I wonder why it bent (thats a combined wieght of over 500 lbs bouncing on it )

Old 03-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Grizzly

ORIGINAL: Redneck2345

oh trust me I know when to use an impact and when to use the breaker bar, but you sure dont achive much when your pulling the track and rear sprocket off a 450-C dozer with the impact. Took me and my old man bouncing on the 10 footer with the 3/4 breaker bar , I wonder why it bent (thats a combined wieght of over 500 lbs bouncing on it )
Of course you realize your first problem is trying to fix a John Deere!

Old 03-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

true, but when your old man made his living with it, didnt have much choice. Heh, I'd much rather work on the Olivers sitting outside, at least those are user friendly!

Old 03-03-2006, 05:28 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Grizzly

Of course you realize your first problem is trying to fix a John Deere!
Never had much problem fixing John Deere equipment My problem has always been with the price they have on any part that has their logo on it [:'(]

Old 03-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker

You guys are KILLING me.[sm=bangbang.gif][sm=headbang.gif] Do you selves a favor and go get a real impact. Ingersole Rand, which is what Macs are, Snap-On yeah they may cost you more but don't forget you can get a truck account and pay weekly. If you have a buddy who works at a garage have him talk to his dealer. Don't get me wrong husky, craftsman there ok but how many times are you going to take it back when it brakes? I know it says "lifetime warranty" but seriously after about the 3rd time even sears or lowes would start to wonder why. 6 years with my Snap-On and no problems. One thing that is nice about it is adjustable torque, start out low and go up. The others are great for to occasional user but when I was working on the big rigs I decided to get a good gun. When it came to changing tires everyone would go grab the 1" impact not me my 1/2 inch slammed those nuts (sorry guys it don't sound good) and I didn't have to worry about stripping the studs. If you ever had to change one of those, you know why! Where I work now the mechs use their 1/2" over the 1" and they have the same gun as I do. Just keep in mind you get what you pay for. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Impact wrench