2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 46RE rebuild

Old 11-11-2017, 08:59 PM
dennisM83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 46RE rebuild

Hey all,

First, I will say this transmission is actually in a 98 Grand Cherokee with the 5.9. I did post on Jeepforum, but didn't get any responses. I'm hoping you Dodge enthusiasts can help me out here.

It was overheated from what I'm guessing was a stuck front brake caliper. Here's what it was doing when I barely made it home:

Would not shift out of first on its own unless I was at speed going downhill. While in first starting from a stop, I would be able to get a mile or so, and then it would slip out of gear. I would sit on the side of the road for 10 seconds or so and it would grab again and I could make it another mile or so and repeat til I got home. All the while it makes what I can best describe as a buzzing noise.

It is just shy of 250K. Not throwing any codes. Fluid level is fine. Doesn't seem to be burnt, but I have smelled fluid when it got hot.

After not driving it for a week, I took it out after replacing the front brakes. It drove fine for about 10 mins, until it did the same thing. It didn't start the buzzing noise until I got back home. I recorded it if anyone needs to hear it.

Can anyone point me in a direction for a good rebuild kit? I don't want to go cheap, but don't need to get one of the expensive kits from PATC transmission. The best candidate I found so far is the Dodge Master rebuild kit for $270. I just want to make sure it will address the issue I have. I may do a shift kit too, along with the other recommended fixes I read about (Sonnax cure kit, aux cooler, check valve removal)

I've searched here and Jeepforum, and people have posted links to parts, but some of these links are expired. Any input is appreciated!

Old 11-12-2017, 09:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

One of the PATC kits would likely get you another 250K out of your trans....... Better quality parts than what came in the trans stock...... Also, doing the sonax sure cure will improve shifts, and when properly installed, will let you check fluid level in park as well. Basically, what it boils down to is, how long do you plan to keep the truck? If you don't expect it to last more than another year or so, then go with the cheaper kit.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 PM
dennisM83

Originally Posted by HeyYou
One of the PATC kits would likely get you another 250K out of your trans....... Better quality parts than what came in the trans stock...... Also, doing the sonax sure cure will improve shifts, and when properly installed, will let you check fluid level in park as well. Basically, what it boils down to is, how long do you plan to keep the truck? If you don't expect it to last more than another year or so, then go with the cheaper kit.
I think I will go ahead with one of PATC's rebuild kits. They have nothing but good reviews.

Just for knowledge, I read through the 84 pages of the MonteC Q&A thread. Lots of helpful info there. I saved the part list he posted for someone and may compile a build out of that.

I saw you asked some questions there too. Did you do a rebuild yourself?

Old 11-14-2017, 09:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,170 Likes on 2,923 Posts

No, I was just collecting information. Considering the truck I was driving at the time had 180K miles on it..... I figgered a rebuild wasn't too far into my future. The trans still works just fine, is still in the truck, and I have another truck.......

Old 11-15-2017, 07:01 AM
Tboned
Rookie

Originally Posted by dennisM83
I think I will go ahead with one of PATC's rebuild kits. They have nothing but good reviews.

Just for knowledge, I read through the 84 pages of the MonteC Q&A thread. Lots of helpful info there. I saved the part list he posted for someone and may compile a build out of that.

I saw you asked some questions there too. Did you do a rebuild yourself?
Please let us know how it goes Dennis.

Search this Thread