2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Speed Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 03:49 PM
59ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Sensor Issue

Hello All.

I have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 sport with a 5.9l engine. It is 4X4 of course. The problem i'm having is when i'm in first gear, like siting at a light or anything. As i'm takeing off slow the trans wines out a long time b4 shifting. If i get on it it'll shift fine, and i also noticed that it shifts when the speedo starts to work. When ever i'm going slow like 15, 20, 25 mph, it doesn't register until i got to 35 or above. It just sits at 0 till about 35. I got a speed sensor error and changed the sensor, reset the codes and it is still shifting wrong and not registering on the speedo till about 35. I was told there are 2 speed sensors on these trucks, but i don't know for sure. I changed the one on the trans. If anyone can give me some help and info on this i would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Joe

[IMG]local://upfiles/18732/AEFBF78CE56E4802B8EB2763D76C54D6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-25-2005, 04:37 AM
mrfixit91
Default RE: Speed Sensor Issue

Joe,

There is another speed sensor on the top of the differential. This one controls the speedometer and odometer. It also tells the ABS when to engage. I'm not sure about the shifting issue but replacing this will definitely fix the speedo problem. It's about $40.00 at the dealer. Good luck finding it anywhere else.

Ron

Old 07-25-2005, 10:07 PM
john dempsey

Check the engine speed sensor and the crank position sensor.

Old 07-26-2005, 01:59 AM
59ram

mrfixit91

Thanks for the info. I saw that one there, but didn't know that's what it was. I changed it and all the problems i had including the trans shifting problem. It's now running as it did when i got the truck.

Thanks again for the help.
Joe

Old 04-28-2006, 12:47 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pulled this old forum up maybe someone can elaborate a little on it, anyone know where that sensor on the differential is.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:17 PM
59ram

Look on top of the rear diff. There is a sensor there and that was the problem with my truck. I changed it and it's working great now.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:33 PM
bamory
Captain

My truck has a tendancy to wind out in 1st gear, but all other shift points are great, no slippage, etc etc. Sometimes will shift at 2500RPM. Sensors on the tranny would be showing something completely different, I am not getting a code.....yet? So I started looking, and saw your post.

Only difference is that my speedo and odo is working fine. Exactly what sensor is that.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:43 PM
59ram

My truck was doing the same thing. I also noticed that my speedo wouldn't work below about 25 to 30 mph, then it shifted and the speedo would jump to the speed i was at and work fiine till i stopped again. It would then start all over again and not shift till about 25 - 30 mph. So i sounds a lot like what i had. If you look at the rear diff, on the top you will see a bracket holding the sensor, Remove that and get a new one from the autozone or the dealer. Any autoparts store should have it, but there is the chance you will only get it at the dealer. Try an autoparts store first befor the dealer. If that doesn't work then there a a more serious problem than a sensor and you will probably need some trans work done.
Also the sensor on the rear diff will not show a code, or at least mine didn't, that's why i didn't even know about it at first.

Joe

Old 04-28-2006, 01:47 PM
bamory
Captain

I have had all kinds of tranny problems with other vehicles, nothing anywhere like this, thats why I am not pinpointing tranny. I will take a look at replacing that sensor. If it was my tranny, trust me, there would be mitagating factors added to a long first gear shift. Thanks for the info, whats the name of the sensor?

Old 04-28-2006, 02:13 PM
bamory
Captain

I just talked to my dealer (these guys are pretty good also) and they stated that could be a sticky valve in the tranny, I am just gonna have a flush done and go from there. They said that the sensor on the axle wouldnt have anything to do with long shifts, but hey who knows. Its about time for a flush/filter anyhow and they have an additive for sticky valves they add when they do the refill. Thanks for the info though I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Speed Sensor Issue