2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 a/c problem

Old 04-28-2006, 06:12 PM
ramsportguy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 a/c problem

Hi all,
well today i got some bad news.I was told that the a/c unit in my truck is gonna cost 1100.00 to fix.They did a freon check and found nothing in the system and then they put 1 can in and it all leaked out.They said they got to pull the dash apart and replace a valve a filter a a/c dryer and it was 8 hours to do.Does this sound correct?Do they need to pull the top of the dash off?If so i got a factory replacement in the box and they said they can do it.Any and all help is appreciated on it.I love my truck and i got 5 more payments left and i am home free. so i dont wanna throw in the towel here..

thanks
pat

Old 04-28-2006, 07:00 PM
theshocker
Veteran
Default RE: 01 a/c problem

Taking out the dash sounds right. My brother-in-law had to have his fixed about a year ago and that what he said they did. As far as the price I don't know. If I remember right his was around $450.00. Either way it sucks because myine has gone out as well.[:@][:@] Just putting it off as long as possible, just have to use the old fashion ac.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:53 PM
DODGEIT105
Rookie

I'm not sure what valve is under there but if they are going to pull the dash and your vehicle has high mileage have them replace the eveaporator core also. Because eventually if that part goes then the dash will again have to be removed to get to it. Have them check the heater core also since it is next to the evaporator

Old 04-29-2006, 10:32 AM
MikeNAmyS
Professional

And yet there are cars from the 60s that the a/c still works on...
R-134 sucks!

Old 04-29-2006, 12:42 PM
KenB

Mine is out too. I recharged it myself and it lasted for about 2 days but it all leaked out. I haven't look any further into it yet. So is the problem usually behind the dash?

Ken

Old 04-30-2006, 12:42 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I am pretty sure they make a special dye you can put in the lines to find the leak. I would be weary of anyone who told you the problem was behind the dash (dealership 10:1). On most vehicles, there are several snap fittings under the hood that leak fluid with vibration when the o-rings deteriorate. Also, apparently, if you let the system deplete too much, and then try to recharge it with a DIY kit, it is possible to end up with a type of vapor lock in the lines to where you have to bleed the high side while recharging the low (as was told to me by a mechanic in a bar recently).

Old 04-30-2006, 12:19 PM
ramsportguy
Professional

Well this didnt actually come from a dealership it came from a well known mechanic company in town but the good news is my father knows a guy that use to work at a dodge dealership n knows the ins and outs of the a/c systems that now works for a toyota dealership and said 600.00 labor is ridiculous and is gonna talk to his service manager bout bringing it in and getting a good price to fix it..But he too said the dash has to come apart and since the dashpad has to come off the new factory replacement is gonna go on and then am gonna repair my original and selling it (only 1 crack).

thanks
pat

Old 06-03-2006, 03:51 AM
ramsportguy
Professional

UPDATE::::::
I took my truck to a local dealership after my ol man got on the horn with dodge, and they gave him a reference number to take with him to the dealership so they can diagnose the problem.I t was a evaporator leaking and the dealerships total was 1142.00 So my ol man called dodge back and told them the problem and then dodge called the dealership and talked to the service manager.Turns out chrysler is going to pay for the parts to replace the system and charge me a extra 1 hour to change over the new dash cap.Better than getting charged almost 500.00 from the body shop just to do the dash.So all in all it is going to cost me around 600.00 for the labor and i will finally have a/c once again.If your truck has low miles on it and your a/c quit like mine did and you take good care of your truck.It wont hurt to give dodge a call(there should be a 1 800 number in your owners manual) and tell them the problem.Then take it to a local dealership and have them diagnose it and it may cost you like 65.00 to have it checked and call dodge right back and then you may just have to pay labor..

thanks
pat

Old 06-03-2006, 05:19 PM
theshocker
Veteran

My a/c went out as well. I am getting ready to go have it lookes at, this is very interesting! How many miles do you have on your truck? I have about 83K but I keep it looking new. Just wondering what milege getting it fixed would fall under. And you say that there is a 1-800 number in the owners manul to get in touch with dodge direct?

Old 06-03-2006, 06:41 PM
ramsportguy
Professional

My truck has 54 almost 55k on the odometer. the number is 1 800 992-1997..I found the number in my warranty info packet..I believe if it recently went out and you call dodge direct and tell them the problem they`ll give you a reference numberto take with you to the dealership.Once the dealership diagnosed the problem you call dodge back and give them the refrence number and give them the dealerships number to call they`ll put you on hold n then they will let you know if you get to pay for the labor and dodge covers the parts or they`ll cover it all or they`ll say the truck cannot be covered by dodge, it doesnt hurt to try n see what happens.I do know for a fact they`ll ask the service manager hows the condition cause if its all dented up,faded paint,ripped/stained interior and it looks like a complete mess they`ll reject it because of its current condition.Like you said if you take care of it and its well maintained they may just help you out..

thanks
pat

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 01 a/c problem