2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wipers...again

Old 07-04-2006, 05:13 PM
JJF
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers...again

Ok, I checked the ground, and replaced the wiper motor assembly. I had the flash done at the dealership, but intermittent still does not work properly. So will replacing the central timer module fix this issue? It sounds like a lot of people have had this problem but nobody has a definite fix. I love the truck, but the wipers are getting annoying. Please help.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:47 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Wipers...again

What flash did you have done at the dealership? [&:]

Old 07-04-2006, 06:13 PM
JJF

I guess the most recent one that was supposed to fix the wiper problem. I know this isn't specific but I'm not really sure.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:34 PM
JJF

Does anybody else have this problem, or is it just me?

Old 07-05-2006, 01:39 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you checked to be certain there isn't a broken wire in either the switch or the harness?

Old 07-05-2006, 08:05 PM
JJF

Yeah, I checked all the wires. The only one that was broke was the ground where I'm guessing the previous owner tried to re-ground the wiper motor. I reconnected that and tried a new ground but still have the same issues.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:32 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't state exactly what your problem is, but I can tell you some things to check and not to do.
Below are a couple of long posts that I made while working on my 01. To make a long story short, my intermittent wipers delay period would not adjust. It only worked on fastest delay. Relay was good. Wiper motor was good. Switch was good. Grounds were good. After replacing multi-function swith ($42) and Central Timing Module (CTM - $119), buying a service manual on CD ($12), studying the wiper circuit wiring diagram for 4 days, and taking everything apart and testing it ........ my problem was a missing fuse for 'power locks' in the end of dash fuse panel. And I don't even have power locks !!

dodge ram intermittent wiper delay won't adjust
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the same problem. '01 Dodge 1500, 5.2 V8, auto, 4 wd, reg cab. intermittent wipers are stuck on the fastest delay. Lo and Hi work fine. I removed and tested the multi-function switch per Haynes manual. Continuity and resistance as should be. Since I had it off I replaced it anyway. It didn't help problem. I swapped the relays in PDC between horn and wiper. No change. Checked all fuses. All good. I pulled off the wiper motor assy and tested the wires. All good. 12 volt to red/yellow on high. 12 volt to brn/white on low and intermittent. 12 volt on blue whenever wipers on (park circuit). Ground on green, and also ground on black. With wiper motor removed and wiper switch on everything was good on hi and low. With wiper switch on delay, no matter where on the delay adjustment, you can hear the relay popping 12 volts out to the motor about every 1 second. Tick its on, Tock its off, sounds just like a clock. Haynes manual has no wiring diagram for wiper circuit I visited local Dodge dealer looking for identification of the intermittent wiper control module and/or function. Kids there no help.

ok, making progress. I went back over to the local dodge dealer. Avoided the kids at the parts counter and spoke with a technician during a smoke break. He pulled up and printed out the wiper system wiring diagram for me. Nice guy. Intermittent wiper control is labeled as 'Integrated Electronic Module', located on 'left side of dash'. Part number is 56020157-AC (for no keyless entry and no heated seats). Part name is Module, Timing. List price $113. The dodge parts counter 'wiper diagrams' are wrong, saying that the wiper control is intergrated to the wiper motor 55076549AH ($117). This is not correct. That part number is the wiper motor assembly w/ motor, gear, linkage. No control. I took mine off and looked at it. Electronic module on this 2001 is under dash, between steering column and ashtray, screwed to a metal bracket. About 11 wires into it, including the violet, yellow/dk green, brown, dark green, and white/dk blue that are involved with wiper and washer. There are also other wires for other timing controls such as the seat belt, and also the annoying little chimer. Its a black plastic box about 4" long, 2" wide, and 1" thick. By the way, I got my multi-function switch at autozone for $42. In order to get that switch off, you will need a hollow/security torx, about a size 20. autozone has a set of these for $11. Get 2 4mm hex head screws about 1" long to replace the 'security torx' with. They are a pain.

we'll, nobody's going to believe this...
put on new central timing module ($113) to go along with the new multi-function switch ($42) - same result, rapid delay only. sat down and studied the wiring diagram and had several adult beverages. next day, back into the wiring and measuring voltage at the timing module. #12 white/dk blue (delay adjustment) was receiving variable voltage from switch, varying from 12.2 rapid delay down to 11.7 slow delay. other wires: #3 violet (wiper enable) turning on/off 12 volts, and #4 yellow/dk green (relay output) turning on/off 2 volts here and turning on/off .5 volts up in the relay slot in pdc. this doesn't make any sense, i'm tired of working on it, ready to give up and put everything back together. wait - i'll do one more little thing. during this process, somewhere I read that you can turn off the 'key in switch' chimer by unplugging the little black 2 or 3 wire plug at the key. so I do that, and put back in fuse #13 on the end of the dash labeled power lock. I don't have power locks, and had accidently discovered that removing #13 also stopped the key in switch chimer. unfortunately it also stops the 'lights on' and 'low fuel' chimer, so the actual key in switch hack is better. so....fuse #13 back in, key in switch connector unplugged, and guess what.... yep, wiper delay worked exactly right. i'll be darned. double check - pull fuse 13, wipers malfunction. put 13 back in, wiper delay works. SO.... DO NOT REMOVE END OF DASH FUSE 13 (PWR LOCK) IT PLAYS CRITICAL ROLE IN INTERMITTENT WIPER TIMING DELAY. hope this helps someone else.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 10-22-2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:58 AM
rdhd
Default Wipers, again

Does this info apply to my 95 Ram1500 4x4 Laramie SLT? Fuse #13 in my truck is listed as Illumination (5 Amp) and fuse #19 is listed as Power door locks (20 Amp).

I am having the same issue (no intermittent wiper speeds, only slow of the two constant speeds) except one thing. When I shut off the wipers they do not park in the normal position, they park wherever they are when you shut the switch off. If you had them parked mid-window and pushed in the switch in for washer spray, they would do 4-5 sequences and park mid-window again.

Cheers!

Robert

Old 01-06-2010, 01:30 AM
.x.NotHis.x.

Having same problem, my intermittent relay only clicks on between intermittent and low. Doesn't turn on at all during regular intermittent, also clicks once in awhile during full speed. Can anyone check to see if the relay is the same on a working set?

Ps, my wipers only work on high. Replaced the switch and rebuilt the contacts in the motor.
Help, I need it so my truck will pass a vehical inspection...!!

Old 01-17-2011, 07:00 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check for voltage on the various wires at the wiper motor.
12 volt to red/yellow on high.
12 volt to brn/white on low and intermittent.
12 volt on blue whenever wipers on (park circuit).
Ground on green, and also
ground on black.

if the incoming voltages are correct, you have a bad motor.
if the incoming voltages are not correct, start by swapping the relay. if that doesn't help, test for proper voltage at the switched pin of the relay. pin number??

Search this Thread