2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 AM
ccd1977
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9l and I noticed a small spot on the ground about 4 in in diameter. I crawled under the beast and noticed it was an oil leak. I could not trace it for the life of me but it was dripping from a little metal piece by the tranny and oil pan.

I just replaced my coolant temp sensor this weekend because it was cracked and leaking.

Something wierd as well is the oil is clean. My engine oil is currently not clear.

Here a pic.

Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak-picandarrowsm.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:03 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it feel like brake fluid? Steering fluid? Feel it between your fingers and compare it to both brake and steering fluid samples from their reservoirs. We can guess, but you have more information than we do and the picture isn't the best quality.

To help find a sneaky leak, thoroughly clean and spray all surrounding areas with brake parts cleaner. Once dry, start the truck, and get under it and see if you can see where it is seeping from. If the puddle is 4" then it's probably fast enough of a leak that you'll see a sign of it from somewhere within several minutes.

BTW, can you narrow down a little more specifically where in the underside of the truck that pic was taken? Maybe a broad shot to complement the up close shot? It's hard to make out.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:07 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

If it is a different color than your oil, it must be another kind of fluid, unless you spilled fresh oil when filling it and it's just now making its way to this point.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:17 AM
ccd1977
Professional

Originally Posted by Sooper
Does it feel like brake fluid? Steering fluid? Feel it between your fingers and compare it to both brake and steering fluid samples from their reservoirs. We can guess, but you have more information than we do and the picture isn't the best quality.

To help find a sneaky leak, thoroughly clean and spray all surrounding areas with brake parts cleaner. Once dry, start the truck, and get under it and see if you can see where it is seeping from. If the puddle is 4" then it's probably fast enough of a leak that you'll see a sign of it from somewhere within several minutes.

BTW, can you narrow down a little more specifically where in the underside of the truck that pic was taken? Maybe a broad shot to complement the up close shot? It's hard to make out.
I know. I tried but I could not get it on jacks.

Here is a another pic. Its where the transmission meets the oil pan.

Here is another pic. I will check on my lunch hour about the steering and brake fluid.

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak-2013-02-26_18-21-53_673.jpg  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:35 AM
ccd1977
Professional

ok. I compared consistancy. Not brake fluid. Possibly powersteering but the it looked dry around where you fill it. Still the leak feels slight thicker.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 AM
ccd1977
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
If it is a different color than your oil, it must be another kind of fluid, unless you spilled fresh oil when filling it and it's just now making its way to this point.
It has been doing this for about 7 days. It will eventually stop when sitting for about 4 hours then starts again when I drive it.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:47 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

You sure it's not coolant? There are only so many fluids, you got, what, 5 to choose from? (oil, coolant, power steering, trans or brake fluid)

Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 AM
ccd1977
Professional

Originally Posted by jkeaton
You sure it's not coolant? There are only so many fluids, you got, what, 5 to choose from? (oil, coolant, power steering, trans or brake fluid)
I will check again and compare.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Sooper
Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ccd1977
I know. I tried but I could not get it on jacks.

Here is a another pic. Its where the transmission meets the oil pan.

Here is another pic. I will check on my lunch hour about the steering and brake fluid.

That's the starter in the background. I can't see how power steering fluid would get back there.

Since transmission and transfer case fluid is red I don't suspect either of those. Diffs are too far for it to be gear oil. Engine oil is still the most likely fluid.

You'll need to get a flashlight and really get in and around the sides and back of the engine. Might be a rear intake seal. Valve cover seals. If it's oily it's not coolant and coolant would be yellow green or red and have a sweet smell with a slimy feel to it.

Clean the dripping area with brake cleaner and rags. Add a dye kit to your oil. Let it run and drip for a few minutes, and use the light from the dye kit on the leaky fluid and see if the dye shows up. If yes, it's engine oil. If no, keep looking and chasing.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:47 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

rear main seal is also a possibility. And quite common.

Quick Reply: Oil leak