2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Grinding Noise When Trying To Shift Into 4L

Old 07-17-2006, 07:21 PM
viper187
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grinding Noise When Trying To Shift Into 4L

Hey Everyone,

I'm new here and drive a 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with the 5.9L V8. Yesterday while I was offroading I used 4H without any problems, but when tried to shift it into 4L to get out of a deep ditch it wouldn't go in. So I shifted my truck into neutral and then tried again except now it was making very loud grinding noises. After turning off my truck and trying to shift it into 4L it went right in with no problem.

Now I mainly have just a few questions. What caused the grinding noise? Is it possible that damage may have been caused? and why did I have to shut off my truck to shift it into 4L?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
Viper

Old 07-17-2006, 07:39 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran
Default RE: Grinding Noise When Trying To Shift Into 4L

ORIGINAL: viper187
......So I shifted my truck into neutral and then tried again ........
That should have been step 1.
Its possible you were just moving too quickly and things were still moving when you tried after you put it in N.
Things have to be nearly motionless to shift into 4L.

Try it again sitting still in your driveway.
1. start engine
2. shift transmission to N
3. shift x-case to 4L

If you still hear grinding, then you have a problem.

Old 07-17-2006, 07:58 PM
viper187

Ok I think I figured out what happened. Ok, while in my driveway I shifted the transmission to neutral and then attempted to shift to 4L but the stick wouldn't move. So I shifted to drive and then back to neutral and that's when it started making the grinding noises when I tried to shift to 4L. The only way I've suceeded so far is to turn off the truck, while in neutral, and then shift into 4L. I just didn't think I should have to turn off my truck to do it......

Old 07-17-2006, 08:04 PM
radwebster
Captain

when you shift to 4low, do NOT stop in the neutral position. you want to rip it hard from 4hi right to 4low.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:17 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran

ORIGINAL: radwebster

when you shift to 4low, do NOT stop in the neutral position. you want to rip it hard from 4hi right to 4low.
My service dept would love that advise. Transmission work pays well. LOL

Old 07-17-2006, 08:28 PM
viper187

I'm talking about 2H to 4L, not 4H to 4L. I can't seem to get it to go in unless the engine isn't running. When I shifted from Park to Neutral and then tried to move from 2H to 4L it wouldn't go that high. And it made the grinding noise after I shifted from Neutral to Drive and then back to Neutral and then tried to move it to 4L. It shifts right into 4L if the engine is off so I don't know I'm kinda confused.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:56 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Maybe that's your problem. You're not supposed to go from 2HI to 4LO. You're supposed to put it into 4HI FIRST!

Straight from the 1998 Owners Manual (Applies to ALL CAD equipped Rams): Transfer Case Shifting Procedure:
2H to 4H or 4H to 2H
Shifts between 2H and 4H can be made while the vehicle is moving or stopped. If the vehicle is moving, shifts can be made at any speed up to 55 mph. This shift will be easier if you momentarily release the accelerator pedal. Apply a constant force while shifting the transfer case lever. NEVER drive in 4H on dry, paved roads.

NOTE: During cold weather (below 30 F) it may be more difficult to shift the transfer case while the vehicle is moving. If so, stop the vehicle and shift. Move the vehicle slightly forward or backward to complete positive engagement of the gears.

4H to 4L or 4L to 4H

Slow the vehicle to under 3 mph (5 kmh), shift an automatic transmission to N (Neutral) or depress the clutch on a manual transmission. Shift the transfer case lever to the right and pull firmly down into 4L. Do not pause in transfer case N (Neutral).

NOTE: Pausing in transfer case N (neutral) in vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission may require shutting the engine off to avoid gear clash while completing the shift. If difficulty occurs, shift transmission to Neutral (N), hold foot on brake, turn engine off, and THEN make the shift to desired mode.

Do not attempt to shift to or from 4L while transmission is in gear or clutch is engaged.

Old 07-17-2006, 09:34 PM
viper187

Thank you so much man!!!!!!! That really helps.....

You don't think I've caused any damage by doing that do you? I've only done it once or twice and it has made the grinding sound.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:23 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no, you didn't hurt it.

Old 07-17-2006, 10:25 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Nope, you should be fine. I've grinded mine a few times as well. [X(]

It's also important to note that you should put your truck into 4wd once a month to keep everything working correctly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding Noise When Trying To Shift Into 4L