2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Converting an auto to a manual?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 11:21 AM
Qaiphyx
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting an auto to a manual?

How hard would this be? WIll it just convert straight over(no wiring issues)?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:53 AM
RamSport97
Record Breaker

Search, there are literally hundreds of topics on this subject. It can be done, but its not as simple as one would like to think.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:31 PM
JohnnyZJ
Professional

the clutch pedal assembly's will be a pain in the butt. i've looked at doing it in the past, and most people have said the same thing; it becomes more hassle than its worth.

at least with jeeps that was the case............ Rams, i can't believe would be much different..

Old 05-15-2010, 01:37 PM
DODGEPWR
Veteran

Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ
the clutch pedal assembly's will be a pain in the butt. i've looked at doing it in the past, and most people have said the same thing; it becomes more hassle than its worth.

at least with jeeps that was the case............ Rams, i can't believe would be much different..

Acually ive looked into doing it on my truck, Didnt look that bad at all. The mounting points and all are there for the clutch resovoir and hardware. If you had a doner truck or found one in a junkyard you could pull stuff off of, it wouldnt be bad at all IMO. You have to cut a hole in the floor for the shifter tho. Which wouldnt be a problem for me. Theres a DIY here on Dodge forums with pics, it was done on a dakota tho. Im thinking it would be pretty much the same.

Its very worth it, and wouldnt cost as much as getting the auto tranny rebuilt if you know what your doing. Atleast thats what ive found and how it would be for me...

Oh yea, you need a longer driveshaft also.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DODGEPWR
Oh yea, you need a longer driveshaft also.

I don't know if these dodges are the same but one discovery I made when doing the swap on my fox body mustang was the yoke (not sure if yoke is the correct term) at the tranny end of the driveshaft is different. I didn't realize this and couln't figure out why my tranny fluid was pouring all over the shop floor when I started the engine. The auto tranny yokes have a hole in them but the manual one don't for some reason. An old mechanic standing in line at the dealer parts counter overheard me describing my isssue to the clueless part counter guy and clued me in thankfully. I had already altered the length of the driveshaft as necessary and just had to pop the other yoke on and all was well.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:56 PM
audiomechanic
Captain

Originally Posted by DODGEPWR
Theres a DIY here on Dodge forums with pics, it was done on a dakota tho.
Link please.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:30 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did the swap on my '95 Dakota a little over a year ago. Check my signature for the write up link.

It was not hard at all. Everything converted straight over, as long as cutting a hole in your floor pan doesn't bother you. Being a '95 (OBDI), I had no computer issues, but OBDII might be more of a hassel when the automatic transmisison electronics go missing.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 05-15-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Converting an auto to a manual?