2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
View Poll Results: A poll
Flowmaster Exhaust - ~$200
31.82%
Magnaflow Cat - $159
11.36%
K&N CAI - $200
47.73%
Shift Kit - $109
9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Which mod should i do first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 02:18 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Which mod should i do first?

ORIGINAL: Racinfan83

Fuel cooler mod???? Explain please. Is this the wrapping the rails with insulating tape or something else?
Flex-a-lite fuel cooler mounted in front of the radiator, 5/16" fuel injection line running from the frame connection and from the fuel rail. this is a potentially hazardous mod since you have fuel at the front of the truck (accident). the fuel rails just has an insulating tape from thermo-tec on it so it doesnt get heat soaked. the idea being that if you take all the heat you can out of the fuel, then spray your intake air charge with it, you'll get a denser mixture... this results in more power low end & mid-range from the motor.

when shott put it on his truck, he PM'd me one word... "WOW". ask him how he likes it.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Racinfan83
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Copy that. Thanks. I don't think I want to do that one for the safety reason. Too many fools on the roads around here and as much as I drive every day the possibility of getting in a crash is higher than it needs to be.........
Somehow the idea of having gas and an electric pump driving it, up front, and hitting a median wall or something at 70+ mph doesn't sound like fun.
I don't doubt that it works - I'm sure it does, but I won't be trying it. Thanks for the idea though!

Old 10-09-2006, 02:28 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

you can still wrap your fuel rails, that will prevent heat soak on them and thus keeping the fuel at a temperature = to what is pumped out of the tank.

actually, another thing you can do is inuslate the line coming up off the frame to the fuel rail. that line goes right next to the exhaust on the transmission. cooling that line should help as well.

Old 10-09-2006, 02:35 PM
RamThunder

I put on a magna flow system cat and a AEM Brute Force Intake on my '04 Ram. Power has increased and MPG by 2.5. The only problem is that you get a lead foot for a few weeks to feel and hear the increased power/sound and your MPG goes down.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:12 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: RamThunder

I put on a magna flow system cat and a AEM Brute Force Intake on my '04 Ram. Power has increased and MPG by 2.5. The only problem is that you get a lead foot for a few weeks to feel and hear the increased power/sound and your MPG goes down.
Lets compare apples to apples please.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:24 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

Hey guys... a topic may have been beaten to death [sm=deadhorse.gif] but for those who are new, it is a way for them to get involved with the forum... take a look at the "Users Viewing this topic" at the top of the forum, how many do you see there that never post, or get involved? yeah a bunch. too often some are quick to jump on others for not using the search function... I for one got that same treatment on another forum, went there looking for specfic info, did the search couldnt find it and posted my question. The 1st reply I got was a "use the search function" from a young college guy who didnt know much. I let him know in a tactful way, "if you dont know dont reply", shortly after that I got ahold of someone who actually knew what they were talking about and had a useful thread going.

Also, many new users are not mechanicaly inclined and need help, they also may be young working on their 1st or 2nd car/truck and are making their 1st mods... being in that situation they may not have a ton of $ to waste on the wrong mod so they look to the experts here on DF. So go easy on them...

to the original poster...

Yeah, get a CAI, I recommend the K&N setup, when you start adding more mods, get a bigger filter for it, I had a 6x9 K&N on with a bunch of mods and it performed really well.

for better performance on a budget... drop in K&N, wrap your fuel rails with inuslating tape (thermo tech) and drop in a 180 deg t-stat.
Steve,
I agree a little bit.
But there are a bunch of people that have a great bit of knowledge of 2nd gen rams that hate having to weed through the newb and repeat crap. Myself, I dont visit that much because of all of the what mod? or will they fit?
I know Im not the only one.
So, because of that, good useful (technical) info doesnt get passed on.

To me starting a thread without looking it up yourself first is lazy. If a newb did his own research and read than they would understand why each mod is liked and why not. Instead they get told what mod to do and nothing is learned.

There are other ways to get involved instead of just posting.

Im not saying that I never started a thread that someone thought was a "newb" thread or a beat to death topic but after being on a forum for a month I used the search function and learned things myself.

What about a newb forum?

Old 10-09-2006, 03:43 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I did a thread a while back on what mods did what and tacked it to the top. looks like it's no longer there. I will try to find it and re-tack it to the top.

I understand what your saying about "1st mod" questions and whatnot... I personally have found new ideas when talking with others about existing mods. that's actually where the fuel cooler mod came from.. thought of it while I was trying to solve a problem in a thread. You never know what may come up from another user that may trigger a great idea for you.

Lastly, you have a choice as to which posts to read and which ones you dont, there is a preview function that pops up when you move your mouse over the thread in the main forum... if you dont like what your read, then you have the option to not go into it and read further....

Old 10-09-2006, 04:35 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

Lastly, you have a choice as to which posts to read and which ones you dont, there is a preview function that pops up when you move your mouse over the thread in the main forum... if you dont like what your read, then you have the option to not go into it and read further....
I know this.

I guess I cant really sugar coat this too much.
maybe its just me, But most of the topics are the same repetative stuff. 90% of the threads are not real technical.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:55 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

ORIGINAL: GOD RAM IT

90% of the threads are not real technical.
very true...

Old 10-09-2006, 05:08 PM
silverram99
Captain

It doesn't take long to learn who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't either. I think all the first mod posts are pretty rediculous too, but I know I have done this lots of times and I'll admit it took me a while to start using the search function. I have learned alot from this forum about my truck and what works and doesn't work. Now I kinda noticed this thread has turned into a huge argument about what mod is better, unfortunately this comes down to preference. I know I lost power with my Flowmaster exhaust but I love the way my truck sounds and that is the reason I installed it. My cold air intake should have been the first mod that I made, I am really pleased with the way it turned out and the gains it has given me, some people on here disagree with that though. If you look at Hughes website they tell you a CAI should be one of your first mods and as stated no one mod is going to give you alot of increase, its how they all work together, but you have to start somewhere. Can't we all just get along....LOL