2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 dodge ram 4x4 activator problems... vacuum leaks

Old 10-26-2006, 10:53 PM
kandklandscape
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 dodge ram 4x4 activator problems... vacuum leaks

Got a 95 dodge ram 4x4, right where the activator goes into the front axle, it is making a clicking/clanging noise, almost like a rotor grinding....

when engaging the 4x4 into 4x4, noise stops, and 4x4 light comes on.... although sometimes it wont engage at all. my ? is that i broke the vac line off, and put a connector over, however i think there is air into the line?

any ideas?

Old 10-26-2006, 11:15 PM
kandklandscape
Default RE: 95 dodge ram 4x4 activator problems... vacuum leaks

ttt

Old 10-26-2006, 11:33 PM
kandklandscape

any ideas? trying to fix it quickly.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:36 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Those vacuum lines must be sealed tight. You used some kind of patch hose, or ? Not breaking chops, just confused a little. Is the line just capped off? Is it exposed? You can buy vacuum kits with adapeters to help put line back together. Buy new VACCUM, not pressure, hose and patch in a new piece. Both those vacuum lines MUST be working.

Did both hoses come of, and they could have been put on wrong? If you have a major vacuum leak, you should hear air "rushing", if you have some type of scope or something.

I assume the noise you hear is the shift collar. It could very well be vacuum related. Get the vacuum line repaired first, and make sure they are attached in their proper positions. Also make sure the vehicle has proper amount of vaccum as well, or you will never be able to fix anything. If that doesn't solve your problem, then you will have to remove the cover to the vacuum shift motor. You may have broken linakge between the shift fork and the vaccum servo. I doubt if the intermediate shaft has shifted, though it can happen.

You might have some filings floatin around as well. Make sure to change the axle fluid. I'd drop the cover.

Good luck, hope this helps. PM me if you need any more help. I have all the 95' manuals.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:45 AM
kandklandscape

I put on a connector between the lines. Does the dealer usually stock this part? I believe the lines are only 12" or so from the activator to the part where the lines connect to. It was actually broke in 2 different parts. Do you think there is air in the lines?

Both hoses came off of the activator. The black one was broke in 2 places, the red one was fine.

The red line is on the right side, the black line is on the left side. Are they on correctly?

Had the lines tested BEFORE this happened and they had the correct vacuum suction.

It does so sound like a collar or a fork is broke? WOuld you think it is just the vacuum hose?

Do most dealers carry these in stock?

Old 10-27-2006, 01:19 AM
Ramdamit98
Captain

Or if you want to dump the vacuum lines all together

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge400_prnt.html

Old 10-27-2006, 01:22 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

When I say sealed tight, I mean that the vacuum system must be intact. Or else you will never be able to generate enough vacuum to operate accessories. Does your heat/AC work ok. Not the air temp, but the ability to switch between floor, bi-level,vent,defrost. Can you confirm that you can get air out of all the settings? If not, you still have a vacuum problem.

I would double check the vacuum. It's only a few bolts to remove the cover for the actuator. I can't tell from here,.lol. You're gonna have to dig. You'll only loose a small amount of axle fluid. Jack the passenger side up a few inches and let all the fluid run downhill. Then remove the cover and look at the shift assembly. Have someone start the truck, and slip the transfer case in and out of 4 wheel. You will see of that vacuum servo is working properly.

Do you break the lines and then replace them? Was it an accident, did it happen when you went looking for a noise? And is it a 1500, 2500, 3500,...

You have to give more info. So I can look it up. What's your motor?

Old 10-28-2006, 06:10 PM
kandklandscape

diesel, replaced the actuator and still have the same problem!? there are no vacuum leaks, they are all sealed tight. any other ideas?

Old 10-29-2006, 01:51 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Vacuum lines on top of the transfer case are intact as well? There is an air vent on top of the tcase as well. Make sure it is not blcoked with mud.

No offense but if that's not the problem, I am still leaning towards weak vacuum.

Good luck.

Old 10-29-2006, 01:52 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: DieselDemon

Vacuum lines on top of the transfer case are intact as well? There is an air vent on top of the tcase as well. Make sure it is not blcoked with mud.

No offense but if that's not the problem, I am still leaning towards weak vacuum.

Also make sure the shift fork is not loose, or out of adjustment on shift rod.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 95 dodge ram 4x4 activator problems... vacuum leaks