2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Water in transmission .

Old 03-27-2015, 03:24 PM
ericluck
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in transmission .

My truck was getting hot and i found transmission fluid in the radiator. The truck never over heated but the dip stick now shows strawberry milkshake colored fluid. How does J C WHITNEY stand up to re -manufactured transmissions? I read all the threads on the issue and never saw them mentioned. I just can't pay 4 grand for a transmission for this truck. Just looking for thoughts.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:39 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Are you asking if JC Whitneys rebuilt transmissions are any good or you have a rebuilt transmission from JC Whitney and you want to know if they stand behind their products? If your looking for a rebuild and someone quoted you $4000, run away. You can find cheaper than that. Mine was an almost total rebuild and was less than $2500.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:59 PM
ericluck
Amateur

I saw J C Whitney has 3 year unlimited mile warranty for around 1600 w/o t/c or core charge .I was wondering if the quality is there .I got the 4000 as a rough figure from reading here if i wanted it to be strong. But i use the truck to tow 8 thousand pounds a few times a year and highway driving near Atlanta (roads are pretty much junk and full of crazy drivers so it's gonna get be somewhat abused) But before the water reverse was gone.I figure it's time and Whitney has free shipping until midnight tonight.

Last edited by ericluck; 03-27-2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: They refer to them as" re-manufactured" is this different than rebuilt
Old 03-27-2015, 05:43 PM
superfluous
Rookie

Have you tried a "flush?" Not a professional one, you can do it in the driveway. You have to replace the radiator anyway, so pull it out then put trans cooler line in a bucket, idle in neutral (not park) until pumping just about stops, fill with cheap Dexron then repeat idle pumping out until fluid is clean. I did a home flush before and it took about 16 qt to pump clean.

then run around the block a few times running in every gear. Then repeat flush with same amount of ATF+4.

May not fix it but is A lot cheaper than a new trans and worth a shot I think.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:44 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Personally I've never heard of JC whitneys transmissions so I can't comment. Heck you can get a mega viper for under 3000.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,164 Likes on 2,918 Posts

I wouldn't trust a J.C. Whitney trans....

You also need to replace your radiator, as the trans cooler in there has developed a leak.

You can try to flush the trans, but, ATF +4 ain't cheap, and you are going to need a LOT to flush out your trans....... If it is still working *OK*, you might be able to salvage it, if it is having issues, then it is probably already too late.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:20 PM
ericluck
Amateur

I will try to flush it first.I think for the price it sure is worth a try.I'll let you know .I have been checking about the J C W transmission and the maker is Shift Point .They build them for Parts Train, J C Whitney,and Auto Warehouse. I'm not sure yet but i'm leaning away from them if i cant salvage what's in it already.But like i said i'll let you know. Thanks to all who added their time much appreciated.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

You also need to replace your radiator, as the trans cooler in there has developed a leak.
This is the major problem not the trans! This is a MUST replace or you will have the same problem. Replace it and swap the fluid a few times and you will be fine. Use dextron to swap then atf +4 on the final change.

Old 04-04-2015, 06:18 PM
ericluck
Amateur

I have taken the radiator off and noticed the o ring in the transmission line where it connects to the rad. has a crease in it.I put new o ring in it and it seems to hold a little pressure. I blew into it while blocking the other end but don't know how much pressure it is supposed to hold.I am going to try to put the old radiator back in while i flush the transmission and see what happens. i'll let you guys know.

Old 04-04-2015, 09:50 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

The o-ring has nothing to do with the water in your tranny. You have a leak in tubing INSIDE the radiator. You need to replace the radiator or if you want to cheap out on it buy an external radiator cooler put plugs in the fittings where the lines connect at and run it that way. You still need to flush your tranny and replace the filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water in transmission .